User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dory!

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I agree with Suzanne. In the long run, clipping her will help her.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash

sad news

Papayago came today... and we talked game plan!

Since Dory has shown no real improvement in her taming or training since I got her many months ago.... Papayago proposed that she may just be that kind of bird that doesn't really want to be tamed. She is 4, never been handled by humans, was parent raised and all, we think she may just be a pet that has a huge aviary like cage, and doesn't get the stress of being let out and get handled much. That being said we are NOT giving up on her, but because of the stress it puts on her every time we reach in her cage and every time she is out she freaks.. we are going to give her back to Papayago, and get another bird to foster.
    I hate to do this, because obviously I love Dory, but we think it is what's best. Dory has been with me for about 3 months now, and has proven to be a big ball of trouble, and is really making my dad mad with her. He loves birds and Nash included, but because of her unwillingness to be tamed/trained/handleable Papayago is going to take her back to their "headquarters" because she will have a higher chance of being adopted out from there since that is where visitors go when interested in a bird. Here, she is just going to sit around, with 1 friend, when there she could have 10 friends around her and it won't feel so bad that she is not being let out daily.
    I am going to get another foster from them though, likely a cockatiel. I really like cockatiels, and I would love a bird that is more cuddly than a Lovie, so they are going to see what cockatiels they have and what would best fit me. It feels like I am giving up, and honestly in a sense.. I am. I was looking for a bird to foster that would like to be taken out, would be great in a home environment, but unfortunately Dory does not meet either of those standards. If I had actaully adopted her, I would do like I siad and get her a really huge cage, where she can just rock on with her bad self in there and not have the need to be let out like Nash does.. She would maybe have another friend too.. idk.. but since she is a foster, and it is not permanent ( never was ), I would like to get another bird.

I honestly don't know what to do. I am a bird guru, Nash was easily trained with target training and all, but I have tried every day through the cage bars and out of cage with Dory to target train and she shows zero interest and doesn't seem to even want to try. She has gotten worse because of her hormones, and that false egg too. I used to think I was an experienced owner who could do anything, but now I don't think so. My dad has had such a bad experience with her that he honestly doesn't even want to "swap" her for another bird.. She is very very loud compared to Nash and he works from home so it is upsetting to him about how loud she is. To be honest I have never really worked much with cockatiels, are they louder than lovebirds? I would like to be prepared and have the knowledge so I will know if they will be a good match for me..

P.S. we didn't clip her since she will not be staying with us much longer.. 2 weeks max she said, but we will still work with her every day and see if maybe she settles down
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-26-2016), kendrafitz (08-28-2016), Lady (08-27-2016), plax (08-28-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Don't beat yourself up too much Savannah. You tried and it just didn't work with you. The value was in at least seeing if you could make a difference in her life....and you did. She is ready for the next step in her life, such as it is and you have helped
    her along the way.
    By the way, just when you think you know it all with regard to parrots, something will always come along to prove there is always more to learn. Happens to me all the time.
    How exciting for you to be able to foster another bird and kudos to Paypayago for following up.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 08-28-2016 at 04:36 PM.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (08-27-2016), lolsavannahh (08-27-2016), plax (08-28-2016)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    You did the best you could Savannah! You are all just thinking what is best for her. Some birds can never be tamed no matter how hard we try. But the fact is, you kept trying! She will find the right home, I know she will. Chin up!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-28-2016), lolsavannahh (08-28-2016), plax (08-28-2016)