User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dory!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I suppose we all feel your love for her and know she deserves to be with someone that feels for her like you do. I agree that at the moment you are just looking to show her that it is possible as well as showing her what a loving home is like. What will happen will happen and it is already wonderful what you have brought into her life. I'm also sure that we believe you will make the right decisions for her in the future!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-16-2016), lolsavannahh (07-16-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Aww that's so nice Lady! I agree as well, and know that she will find a loving home eventually.. if it is with me in a year or with someone else(:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160715_203531.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	4362

In other news, I got Dory this cute little tree-log looking hut because I've wanted to get it for Nash for so long but he is far too hormonal for that.. anyways she loved it first thing! She fell asleep on it last night and I couldn't resist taking a pic :P
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

4. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-16-2016), Lady (07-16-2016), Mare (08-08-2016), plax (07-16-2016), The Pinkertons (07-16-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh I really like that hut. I especially like that she can sit on the top and roost. I want a platform perch for Lady just in case she wants to stand flat on her feet.

6. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (07-17-2016)

Parrots

Here's Dory on her hut that I got for Nash a while back, but had to remove promptly because it apparently looks like a good girlfriend to him... Yuck! Now Dory doesn't have it either because she was trying to nest in it..

Unfortunately.. I can't let Dory out of her cage much any more.. It's just not a good environment to. The guinea pigs cage is uncovered, and she really tries to go into their cage and since she is not tamed, I cannot call her back or even go ask her to step up without getting a really mean bite and then her not trusting me for the rest of the day.. She also hates to go back in her cage.. So I tempt her with food but whenever she sees that we are going to her cage she just flies back. Takes me 30 minutes or more to get her back in the cage and it's just not working out.... I don't know what to do I feel like a failure. She hasn't been out of the cage in a week, and she was doing so well with the taming too! I give her treats and pets through the cage bars, but without bird proofing the room more I don't want her out..
    ( P.S. Nash is recall trained very well and also just doesn't give a crap about the guinea pigs which is why he gets to be let out. I am always in the room when he is out so even if he did decide to go check them out I am always watching and get him out as soon as possible. Although it is not inherently dangerous for the two to interact I would never ever risk it and injury could result in death of either one )

ALSO Dory laid an egg! It was huge! I was very shocked when I saw it at the bottom of the cage.. she had only been showing signs of nesting for one day, and I had already taken out the hidey hut that was causing problems, but she was ready for that baby XD Her and Nash have never interacted outside of the cage so there was no worry that it was fertile. I have been giving her hard boiled eggs with shell to give her extra nutrients(:

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Her being nesty may be why she is giving you such a hard time. She may just need a little time to get past this to settle again. My Sennie is a booger when he is hormonal.

9. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (08-08-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Her being nesty may be why she is giving you such a hard time. She may just need a little time to get past this to settle again. My Sennie is a booger when he is hormonal.
    I hope that is it! She was such a good bird before! Thanks for the words of encouragement (:

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-08-2016)

Parrots

Dory is doing swell.. she hasn't touched any of the new chop I made a few nights ago.. offered her 3 times, but she doesn't really seem to care. Anyone have any ideas on how to get a bird who doesn't usually eat veggies to try.. With Nash it was easy because he was so young, but with her the chop isn't appetizing enough apparently since shes a queen or something..

Also Papayago people are coming on Friday afternoon to give her a checkup and a house update.. I have a lot of picking up to do! Clean the guinea cage, clean the birds cages well, vacuum, put away laundry... etc. etc. AND it's my sisters birthday tomorrow and were going out to dinner! I am running out of time to do things!
    I have been discussing with them my struggles of letting her out of the cage and how she has become a total JERK since she laid that egg.... and so we have decided to see how she is Friday, but we may be giving her wings a clip.. This may be best in my situation since she likes to get into trouble really fast. The guinea pigs and her are proving to be a big issue, and also getting her back in her cage is very hard unless I give a solid 30 minutes or more at it, and usually get some harsh bites after the first few tries because she doesn't want to do it.. I really don't want to clip her, but safety wise with the pigs and other stuff ( and the combination of her not being tamed enough for me to easily get her out of those situations ) it may be for the best at least until she is tamed more... WHat do you guys think?

Banned

Yes do it!

@lolsavannahh
    WHat do you guys think?
    I think that is a very wise solution to your current problem. By doing so, you will be able to work with her to tame her down, in the long run she will be a much better companion, to whom may adopt her, or if you decide to keep her, feathers grow back. it's temporary, but much needed action on your part. for a long term solution. Think of it as a hair cut , flight feathers grow back! in the long run and in the scope of things as far as parrot ownership goes, she and you, will be all the better for it, you can move forward, to having a well behaved companion bird. After she is clipped, start with the up command & down.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 08-25-2016 at 04:30 AM.

14. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (08-25-2016)

Parrots

Thank you Suzanne! I think we are going to go through with it.. My only concern now is that she is 4 years old if not older, and has ALWAYS been flighted, so her suddenly not being able to may be an issue for a bit.. I may have to put some padding on the bottom of her cage

THank you for the words on encouragement... I know it doesn't hurt them physically but I feel it hurts them mentally a bit. I know it will be short term and for the best!(:

Banned

She'll be fine. We have a tendency to overthink what's the best for our birds. It's for the best right now.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 08-26-2016 at 03:27 AM.

17. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (08-26-2016)