User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight feather loss

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Flight feather loss

Daisy has lost all but one flight feather on her right side. This can't be a normal molt because it leaves her with no flight skills. She tried today and crashed on the kitchen counter. I have no idea what is going on.

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    are you sure she isnt plucking or Kobe is pulling them? have you found them by any chance? have they been here and there or just in one big pile?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Poor Daisy, hopefully she is just doing it to worry you but it does seem strange. Casper shed all the feathers from just above his beak once which had us rattled as he had a big bald spot. They did grow back quite quickly.
    Do birds need extra calcium when regenerating feathers? Like human bones? Casper has been busy with his cuttlefish of late so I am wondering if there is any corelation.
    Get well soon.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 03-14-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I have found them here and there. Yesterday one was in the cage and I left home early so the birds were never together. That rules out Kobe doing anything to her. Each feather that has been lost was hanging at a weird angle before the loss. I do not think she is doing this but who knows I do not have my eye on her all day.

Parrots

Hanging at an angle feathers, if she is as careless as Casper, are caused by falling or bashing. I sounds like she may have damaged them in an accident and then pulled them out as they began to annoy her.
    It doesn't sound like a medical condition to me as it is just one side but I am no expert, just using logic.

6. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (03-15-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I think you are right. A few months ago she had a tiff with Kobe and flight feathers were broken. I did see two tiny ones growing in so no worry I guess.

8. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (03-15-2015)

Parrots

And good news, Casper now has five tail feathers.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (03-15-2015), Lady (03-16-2015)

Parrots

I have my almost 2 year old umbrella cockatoo, Mina.
    Yay Casper!! Spiritbird Mina is plucking her leg all of the sudden and then started with her chest. I must be a hormonal thing. Maybe Daisy is feeling spring. I'm going with the featheriffic and aloe spray and that seems to have helped tons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-15-2015), CharlieMyLovebird (01-14-2023), Lady (03-16-2015), spiritbird (03-15-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Wanted to update this thread. Daisy is still loosing flight feathers. I picked one up today that was on cage bottom. It appears to be the lower part of the feather, away from her body. I am taking the feather to the vet tomorrow as both birds have a wellness check and grooming. (not wings) Will show feather to vet. Here is a photo of it. Do you think it looks chewed?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	featger.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	2768

Parrots

Casper sometimes chews his flight feathers after they have come out. Then he get bored and drops them. That feather does look to be missing part of its stem which may still be in position and might need plucking. The vet will know.
    Margaret once rushed Casper to the vet because she thought he had broken a bone and it was sticking out. She was rather embarrassed when the vet just plucked out a feather stump and gave it to her. Don't tell her I told you.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 03-31-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-31-2015), spiritbird (04-01-2015)