User Tag List

Thread: Wanting a new Fid

Parrots

Blue and Gold Macaw

Wanting a new Fid

I have always wanted another bird . I live in a small beach house so limited to space. BB's cage takes up a great deal in what use to be a dining room lol.

I would LOVE to get a budgie. My understanding is I will have a few issues.

One they can never be let out together and BB might be jealous and I loose all the bonding I have with him. I would like your opinions on this.

Thanks
    Christine

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    yes it is very unlikely that your BB and a budgie would ever get along, and dangerous to even try it some would say. THey would have to be kept separate.. One accidental bite from BB telling the bugie to back off or something could kill the budgie instantly.

I think there are some other people tha can help you out on the second question. I don't have two birds, so I am unsure about jealousy but I would assume it could happen!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

3. The following user likes this post:

Christinenc2000 (06-16-2016)

Parrots

Blue and Gold Macaw
    Thank you that is the comments I have been getting. Guess BB will remain a only child.

Banned

I have no Issues

@Christinenc2000

I would LOVE to get a budgie. My understanding is I will have a few issues.
    I don't Think their would be any significant issue, Being that the Budgie is altogether the opposite of your Blue and Gold Macaw .

Of course if you put the Budgie in the Macaw Cage ( I'm Pretty Sure you know better than that) there would be an issue. The Budgie could fly through the Macaws cage bars also . I don't think the Budgie would interfere with the Bond-Relationship you have with B.B.

If it was say a larger bird such as a Macaw , Amazon or Conure, something of that nature or Indian Ring neck. That would give rise for concern.

I just got a bonded pair of Red Rumped Parakeets. I also Have a pair of MM2S and it hasn't changed the dynamics of my interaction with my Cockatoos.

In fact they seem to enjoy the sounds and presence of them being in the same room. When the little Keets are out flying around, I keep a close eye.

Their so much faster than the Cockatoos anyway.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 06-09-2016 at 12:19 AM.

6. The following user likes this post:

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    @Christinenc2000

I don't Think their would be any significant issue, Being that the Budgie is altogether the opposite of your Blue and Gold Macaw .

Of course if you put the Budgie in the Macaw Cage ( I'm Pretty Sure you know better than that) there would be an issue. The Budgie could fly through the Macaws cage bars also . I don't think the Budgie would interfere with the Bond-Relationship you have with B.B.

If it was say a larger bird such as a Macaw , Amazon or Conure, something of that nature or Indian Ring neck. That would give rise for concern.

I just got a bonded pair of Red Rumped Parakeets. I also Have a pair of MM2S and it hasn't changed the dynamics of my interaction with my Cockatoos.

In fact they seem to enjoy the sounds and presence of them being in the same room. When the little Keets are out flying around, I keep a close eye.

Their so much faster than the Cockatoos anyway.

Well it may have to do with you have pairs.. She only has one, and it's very attached to her, and just one budgie would feel the same way. I could be wrong, but I feel like the B&G would hurt her if in the wrong circumstances..Its not super likely, but they are much more powerful than a budgie!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

8. The following user likes this post:

Banned

but they are much more powerful than a budgie!
    That's true , they are much! much! more powerful than a budgie, But I don't think that she is going to keep them in the same cage . Unless of course the Macaw is cage free or an Escape Artist that could possibly break into the Budgie cage . Then yes of course, it could be a potential problem, Every Bird is different as you know, the dynamics of Christine's relationship with her Macaw is something that she would have to evaluate. Bottom line, their is always the potential for Bird aggression .

BIG BIRD SMALL BIRD is always in favor of the larger bird . Just my humble opinion.

10. The following user likes this post: