User Tag List

Thread: Very moody and aggressive Green-Cheeked Conure

Parrots

Brazil (Green-Cheeked Conure) Leah (Lutino Cockatiel)

Very moody and aggressive Green-Cheeked Conure

Hello, I'm new here and need advice in dealing with my conure Brazil's behavior.

For one thing he's highly aggressive to the point where I can't even get him on my hand, unless, for some reason, I wear one very specific T-shirt. Doesn't matter what else I wear, even tried getting new shirts of a similar color (a light green), he still responds violently. Puffed up, angered snarls, wide-eyed, the whole deal. Secondly he's fully feathered and flies through the house (though always a simple loop back to the cage), though he often lands onto other family members' backs and will try to bite them if they try to get him down with a finger, and the only way to get him off safely is with a red squirt bottle. Don't even need to spray him as the mere sight of the object gets him to leave. He does have a female cockatiel for a mate, but I don't think that's the main source of his aggression as he started to be like this before they got together as a bonded pair (and I used to be able to handle him more back then as well before the aggression increased even before the bonding).

I did try to get a play gym for them to be beyond the cage and more surrounded in family business (the family room and the living room where they live are on opposite sides of the house, with the open kitchen in-between for a clear flight path back and forth), but the problem is the best place for it is very close to the backyard door and we have a dog (who doesn't bother the birds, she's even good with our chickens) that goes in and out often so there's also the threat of escape.

I'm willing to bet the freedom of flight is adding to the aggression issue, since he's got it in his head that he can go anywhere and act bigger than us. I do like that they're able to get proper exercise from fully-feathered wings, but if they need to be clipped it will be done in order to foster better behavior.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Snag,
    You don't have to clip him. There could be many reasons why he is behaving this way but that is another thread. I would suggest you limit his time out space. You may need to go back to basics and begin again hand taming him. I have had this issue with my mini and am still in the process of getting her to be as I need for her safety and social skills.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WingedSnagret View Post
    Hello, I'm new here and need advice in dealing with my conure Brazil's behavior.

For one thing he's highly aggressive to the point where I can't even get him on my hand, unless, for some reason, I wear one very specific T-shirt. Doesn't matter what else I wear, even tried getting new shirts of a similar color (a light green), he still responds violently. Puffed up, angered snarls, wide-eyed, the whole deal. Secondly he's fully feathered and flies through the house (though always a simple loop back to the cage), though he often lands onto other family members' backs and will try to bite them if they try to get him down with a finger, and the only way to get him off safely is with a red squirt bottle. Don't even need to spray him as the mere sight of the object gets him to leave. He does have a female cockatiel for a mate, but I don't think that's the main source of his aggression as he started to be like this before they got together as a bonded pair (and I used to be able to handle him more back then as well before the aggression increased even before the bonding).

I did try to get a play gym for them to be beyond the cage and more surrounded in family business (the family room and the living room where they live are on opposite sides of the house, with the open kitchen in-between for a clear flight path back and forth), but the problem is the best place for it is very close to the backyard door and we have a dog (who doesn't bother the birds, she's even good with our chickens) that goes in and out often so there's also the threat of escape.

I'm willing to bet the freedom of flight is adding to the aggression issue, since he's got it in his head that he can go anywhere and act bigger than us. I do like that they're able to get proper exercise from fully-feathered wings, but if they need to be clipped it will be done in order to foster better behavior.
    Although "Wing Clipping" Is a highly debated subject. This is not a one size fits all situation. Every Bird is Different ...

Your Quote= I'm willing to bet the freedom of flight is adding to the aggression issue, since he's got it in his head that he can go anywhere and act bigger than us. I do like that they're able to get proper exercise from fully-feathered wings, but if they need to be clipped it will be done in order to foster better behavior...

I tend to agree with your observation, sometimes we need to redirect the behavior in "Captive Birds" their feathers will grow back . It's important while the flights are clipped , to work with your bird on a consistent biases, so as to "imprint" your desired behavior. I would start with the basics such as Step-up/ Down .

Please be aware that it is an inherent instinct for a Canine/ Dog to go after a Bird. Do not Rest on your Laurels in regards to your dog, Possibly attacking your birds. Especially if you clip your Birds wings , which would render your innocent bird helpless to any chance of escape.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 06-05-2016 at 06:52 AM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I think that it's also important to note..it's hormone season. My birds get BIG attitude during this time.

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedSnagret View Post

Its hormone season so this will probably add a whole bunch of aggression into the mix, now that he also has a female bird near him. If it is possible ( i am not sure if they are housed together or not ) try separating the cockatiel and him. Also have you tried to target train him? This is a HUGE help with bonding and overall stimulation of your bird. If you are interested, I can talk for hours on the subject. I have a lovebird and if you know about them, you'll know that they are the big bird of the small bird world XD They are 'big' and 'mean' and 'tough', and he was very much like that when I got him, and even now sometimes.. but target training and other tricks he knows really calms him down. If he is ever being rowdy, I whip out my clicker and target stick and he is very calm after a 15 minute session.

Clipping his wings will not help with aggression. Although in some situations clipping is beneficial, I do not think that this is one of those situations. It very much lowers their confidence, and although that may sound insignificant, it is a huge role in how your bird goes throughout the day. He will be much happier flighted in my opinion. You will also be able to see a change in him once he gets more tame again, where he will want to be with you. If he were clipped, he would be forced to be with you or not with you all the time, while he is flighted he has a choice, and it will pay off down the road when you start to see that he truly wants to be with you by his own free will. It is very rewarding(:
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

6. The following user likes this post:

Lady (06-07-2016)

Parrots

Black Headed Caiques, Budgies, Starling past: Conures, Macaws, Amazons, Cockatiels, Ringneck
    An admission: I do not like clipping for behavioral issues. I believe it takes away a bird's birthright for our convenience.

I would suggest reading Sally Blanchard's Companion Parrot Handbook for some tips on redirection and aggression. She is a wealth of knowledge and her writings can be found here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CompanionP...on_id=20745974
    Squawk and Howl: Parrot-Centric Pet Sitting & Behavioral Consultations in Columbus, Ohio

We also power wash cages, offer avian catering, and more!

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by SquawkandHowl View Post
    An admission: I do not like clipping for behavioral issues. I believe it takes away a bird's birthright for our convenience.

I would suggest reading Sally Blanchard's Companion Parrot Handbook for some tips on redirection and aggression. She is a wealth of knowledge and her writings can be found here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CompanionP...on_id=20745974
    I tend to agree with you, Lily. I think leaving a bird's wings intact is not only conducive to its psychological well-being, but as well to its physical health. The air resistance upon an intact set of wings typically encountered during flapping activity is quite beneficial to cardiovascular fitness. I think, though, that depending upon the particulars of each living environment, certain birds may be safer if clipped. But that's always our fault because we force them into whatever environment we happen to have. And in a number of settings the exact opposite may be true - i.e., being flighted makes the bird safer by allowing it to avoid crashing into objects near the floor and to escape various other present dangers.

I have never clipped my guys. Unfortunately, however, two of them are no longer able to fly. Many years ago each of them would soar with such grace and beauty. I feel so sad for them now
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017), Lady (09-14-2017), Quakerella (09-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    This is just a personal opinion, as are most.

I clip all my birds wings, for safety more than anything else. When I clip I only clip the first five flight feathers. I have found this allows them to fly, but they only get about 3 feet off the ground and can travel approximately 15 feet. I feel this gives them the exercise they require and a bit of freedom, but at the same time it keeps them safe so there is no chance of them landing in a sink with water or knives, or flying out an open door. I personally find it easier to tame and train as well.

The feathers actually grow in quite quickly and they can be left fully flighted if one wishes.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017), PlaxMacaws (09-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    There is usually heated debate around clipping. I had my Crimson Belly Conure clipped when I got him and was horrified to see he would do 3 point landings, smacking his poor beak on the floor. I laid cushions on the floor until his flights grew back. I found, that although the little beggars don't listen to me all the time, they were so much more engaged and happier when they had the choice to leave or stay.
    I use treats to get desired behaviour, like returning to their cage. It definitely is more work if they are flighted. They can poop pretty much anywhere and get into mischief.
    I clip the first three feathers on my Sennie, as he is a biter and I need him to know he is limited in his range. He can still fly around the room, but he has to work a little harder and so does not get into trouble.
    For whatever reason my Barrabands don't respond to treats. When I want them to return to their cage I just tell them to go back into their cage and away they go. Joey tells himself he is a good boy and proceeds to eat...lol.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 09-12-2017 at 05:01 PM.

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (09-14-2017), PlaxMacaws (09-12-2017), Quakerella (09-12-2017)