User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet Karma!

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN

Meet Karma!

I have been reading and keeping up with everyone, but not much time for posting over the past couple of weeks. I hope everyone is doing well!

I fell in love with a little turquoise IRN - I've been following him (I think) through his hand feeding, I know the lady through fb and I just couldn't take my eyes off of him. The conure hoodlums were keeping us pretty busy, and we lost one of our lovebirds to an accident - one of the rungs of the cage was loose and we didn't know it, he slipped through and my terrier got him. It was horrible, and to top it off, my husband was right in the next room when it happened and never heard a thing. That left one of my lovebirds without a mate, so I made the decision to sell them to another bird friend who has several in need of mates. The lady who had the IRN wanted my parrotlet and budgie, so we did some trading and drove 6 hours to pick him up last weekend!

This is Karma, a hand raised sweetheart who keeps us on our toes. He's 10 weeks old, about the same size as our sun conure.

He has only been with us a week, so we are all still adjusting. He was raised with baby crimson bellied conures and a sibling, but I think the zooming of our conures throws him off a bit, he's flying but still a little awkward at landings, and they are all over the place. They haven't made friends yet, but I am hopeful that they will. I think our Sun is a little intimidated by him because he is a bit bigger than she is, so she is bluffing more than the IRN.

We're going to have him sexed, although we've been told by several people that it is a male due to the deep shade of the beak, and once we find out for sure, we are going to look for him a mate, hopefully a pretty little green girl.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Karma is super adorable but Holy Moly, Kim! Birds are a lifetime commitment..quit flipping them! They need us to love them, no matter what

Ugh..I know I can sound harsh and I'm sorry..I wear my heart on my sleeve and never know when to just shut up. I look forward to seeing more of Karma..again I apologize.
    Last edited by Mare; 05-28-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    You traded two of your birdies for a new one?

Karma is stunning, but the fact that you would trade two of your flock members for him really upsets me.
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Kim: Karma is a cutie. However, I doubt that you'll like the rest of what I'm going to tell you

I'm sad to say that I tend to agree with Mare and Maddy. Humans have created, and tend to perpetuate, the huge and increasing population of discarded companion birds on our planet. Birds are continually produced by breeders (be they commercial or private) and injected into the pet trade. This occurs despite that there are already so many older abandoned/homeless birds who desperately need to be adopted. Trading or selling several birds from one's flock (whether to change up or for profit), especially within a short time frame, just adds to this serious problem. And your mention of acquiring mates and pairing infers to me that you yourself intend to get into the breeding aspect of pet birds - if you've not done so already.

It's a fact that there are not nearly enough avian rescue facilities to serve the astronomical number of homeless and abused birds out there - all because of humans and their actions. And of the avian rescue facilities in existence, many are substandard and thus unhelpful to the parrot explosion problem. Producing more birds just compounds things.

Furthermore, and very importantly, if your birds are free within your home for any duration each day, it's extremely dangerous to have one or more predatory pets roaming free in their area. You can certainly call what happened an accident. But based upon your description, that accident could not have happened if your terrier did not have access to the room where your birds reside. In other words, it sounds very much to me like the incident was preventable. But so sadly, an innocent little Lovebird's life has been brutally taken as a result of the mentioned access. The level of agony and terror the little one must have experienced during the attack is simply unimaginable! These little guys are sentient beings whom we should regard and protect much the same as we do human loved ones. When someone chooses to be a pet guardian, I believe that it is incumbent upon them to take every measure to ensure that a brutal pet attack cannot occur.

What I've stated herein are my heartfelt feelings. I'm unsure of your core values on these matters, Kim. But please know that our forum community neither supports flipping birds nor a predator pet's access to them.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-31-2016), Dragonlady2 (05-31-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Congrats on your beautiful new baby...truely stunning.I am going to stay out of the flipping conversation..since we are breeders and to a degree are part of the problem.Never flippers.Other than to say those who buy our babies sign a no resale and must return to us...no rescue contract.But,since I don't know any of the previous storey..you have a beautiful new family member.Try and remember family means forever.Good luck and enjoy
    "Ivo"

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-28-2016), Penny (05-31-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cedardave View Post
    Congrats on your beautiful new baby...truely stunning.I am going to stay out of the flipping conversation..since we are breeders and to a degree are part of the problem.Never flippers.Other than to say those who buy our babies sign a no resale and must return to us...no rescue contract.But,since I don't know any of the previous storey..you have a beautiful new family member.Try and remember family means forever.Good luck and enjoy
    Another example would be big bird small bird scenario... look what happened to the cockatiel's beak as far as predatory issues. "As mentioned" Cedardave brought to our attention the potential danger keeping big birds with small birds. Also please be aware that no one here is bashing you. I'm confidant that you have your birds best interest at heart.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-31-2016), Penny (05-31-2016)

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    Please remove me from the forum.

I am not a "flipper". A flipper buys / obtains something with the intention of making a profit off of it. I am trying to find my place and a good fit in the parrot world. I didn't buy any of them with the intention of rehoming them, and did not make a profit from any of them. In fact, I lost money to ensure that they would go to perfect homes.

The incident with the love bird was horrible, I cried all day over it. We just didn't know the rung was loose, all of the cages have locks on them and I do have other pets - forever pets because I do rescue. I never once considered rehoming them when we decided to have birds, nor did I consider putting the birds in a room by themselves - I don't believe that is how family pets should be treated. Thank goodness I don't judge how others choose to do it. It was tragic, and it was devastating, and if you think I don't know it was my fault, you're very wrong. I don't need anyone to point that out to me.

The birds were rehomed to wonderful homes. I do not care if they are used for breeding, but I do care if they are taken care of properly. I felt that I had too many birds to work with them all as I should (again, a mistake I freely admit to), and that was a major factor in my decision to turn 5 into 1, for a total of 4, knowing that with our schedules, we would have time for all of them if I only downsized.

We've made a lot of mistakes trying to find just what works for us and our schedules, and what we can handle temperament wise. Apparently, I made a mistake in joining this forum and believing that although other forums have tons more traffic and information, this was a great bunch of people who had a lot to offer. I am no longer surprised by the lack of posts.

Thank you for the help you did provide, but again, please remove my membership. This is not the sort of group I want to be a part of. I am not judgemental of others decisions, and not very tolerant of those who are.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucre View Post

I am not a "flipper". A flipper buys / obtains something with the intention of making a profit off of it. I am trying to find my place and a good fit in the parrot world. I didn't buy any of them with the intention of rehoming them, and did not make a profit from any of them. In fact, I lost money to ensure that they would go to perfect homes.

The incident with the love bird was horrible, I cried all day over it. We just didn't know the rung was loose, all of the cages have locks on them and I do have other pets - forever pets because I do rescue. I never once considered rehoming them when we decided to have birds, nor did I consider putting the birds in a room by themselves - I don't believe that is how family pets should be treated. Thank goodness I don't judge how others choose to do it. It was tragic, and it was devastating, and if you think I don't know it was my fault, you're very wrong. I don't need anyone to point that out to me.

The birds were rehomed to wonderful homes. I do not care if they are used for breeding, but I do care if they are taken care of properly. I felt that I had too many birds to work with them all as I should (again, a mistake I freely admit to), and that was a major factor in my decision to turn 5 into 1, for a total of 4, knowing that with our schedules, we would have time for all of them if I only downsized.

We've made a lot of mistakes trying to find just what works for us and our schedules, and what we can handle temperament wise. Apparently, I made a mistake in joining this forum and believing that although other forums have tons more traffic and information, this was a great bunch of people who had a lot to offer. I am no longer surprised by the lack of posts.

Thank you for the help you did provide, but again, please remove my membership. This is not the sort of group I want to be a part of. I am not judgemental of others decisions, and not very tolerant of those who are.
    Kim, please don't get all bitchy and temperamental on us. I truly apologize for suggesting you are flipping your birds. Flipping to me meant moving one off to try out another..not to sell for profit.

I can totally understand why you had to move Sucre down the road. Umbrellas are difficult when not in the right fit...even in the RIGHT fit, they are difficult.

Believe me, I've made more mistakes than most in bringing up birdy but I just keep holding on. I'm not saying you should be this way, it is the way I am and it surprises me when others aren't. I'm sorry to see you leave..

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-31-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucre View Post

Kim: Our policy is not to remove member accounts here. If a member chooses not to participate any longer, they may simply refrain from logging on.

Unfortunately, in the case of predatory pets, access equals risk. Therefore, such risk is preventable. A locked cage in the midst of a free-roaming predatory pet does in fact constitute a level of access. Your lovebird would most likely still be alive if all unsupervised access between the two species had been precluded. I make statements like this purely to serve as a warning to others, not to further disturb those who have lost their cherished pets to attack scenarios. I'm sure you feel horrible enough. And I'm truly sorry for that. But the warning message is very important so reminders are warranted.

Quick turning birds for profit is reprehensible. I understand that your motivation was not profit but instead a trial of various species for the best fit. The reality, though, is that when it comes to pet birds, 'trial and rehome' is a horribly poor practice for finding that best fit. Just like flipping for profit, the 'trial and rehome' process results in birds getting jerked around from place to place, since many folks who are prone toward swapping pets aren't likely to remain satisfied for long. And that's why I said: "Trading or selling several birds from one's flock (whether to change up or for profit), especially within a short time frame, just adds to this serious problem." In other words, both motivations contribute impetus to the hugely perpetual problem of bird swapping among humans. Profit or not, the birds end up being sent down the road. And that's truly unfortunate.

And your assessment concerning causation of the level of traffic on our site is entirely inaccurate, Kim. Actually, the few companion bird boards who experience considerably more traffic and posts than we do are in fact able to do so because they have been in existence many years longer than we have. As such, they accumulated their large member bases when there were very few choices available for online pet bird discussion. It's effectively the same reason large cities remain large, and small towns remain small.

I'm truly sorry you were offended.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-31-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I hope if you were offended...take a deep breath and realize this place is likely the most appreciative and friendly place to discuss our personal interest in our feathered companions.While everyone has their own opinion,this is a good place to share happiness,sorrow and share newly learned experiance with people who share a similar interest.Im only a member...not an administrator, moderator....no one special.But this place is.Whether you agree with someones opinion or not doesnt change your own personal space.If feelings are hurt I hope other members remain considerate in what they post.In the end ,if you want truth and honesty this is the right place.I hope you reconsider your departure...but wish you and your feathered family all the best.
    "Ivo"

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-31-2016), Mare (06-01-2016)