User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meet Karma!

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Karma is a beauty!!!

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-31-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Karma is a beauty!!!
    Charlie..I couldn't have said it better! Thank you

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyra View Post
    But it's obvious that Kim didn't let the dog get the bird on purpose just like a lot of other accidents have happened to birds for preventable reasons.
    Negligence is no excuse.

What I was trying to convey had more to do with why I think the the membership is so low here verses other forums.
    I know that's what you think. But I'm telling you that it's a small element compared to the much larger one - which I have taken time to explain to you, Shyra.

Look at this from my point of view as someone who doesn't know anyone here well. The first thread I followed someone was showing off a toy she bought and that ended in hurt feelings and three people leaving the group because of criticism.
    Who were the three? Dianne left, yes. But Jen left well before that, and for a different reason altogether... she thought she had to put a backlink for PP on her website in order to post here. And that's why she said she had decided not to be part of our community. She only returned because you told her about Michelle's thread. So she had already made the decision to leave us weeks before Michelle created that thread. By my count, that leaves just one person who left: Dianne. Savannah did not leave us... she's still here. LunaLovebird absolutely did not leave us because of my response in Michelle's thread. She has tentatively stopped posting here for other reasons (which she has shared with me privately). So who am I forgetting? My count suggests that only one person left us over the TNT toy matter. And again, that's Dianne.

Then Kim's excited about a bird she got, yes there was a lot wrong with the circumstances, but as an outsider all I see is more criticism resulting in another member leaving.
    When folks here fail to acknowledge the dangers posed by predator pets with physical access to small birds, then I'm going to drive the danger point to them as impactfully as I can. And that's because taking the chance that they and future readers of the given thread won't dismiss any 'kind suggestions' is not an option here. They're going to get the hard and disturbing truth!

Moreover, within this very thread you've seen how some folks who have genuinely acknowledged the dissimilar species intermingling and access problem will begin to back off from their stance if/when a bit of guilt is directed toward them. I, however, will not back off because I don't feel an inkling of guilt for standing firm on behalf of the innocent victims of brutal, preventable pet attacks! Feelings, friendships, and social rapport pale miserably to the horror and agony that a small pet experiences while being severed into pieces by a much larger predatory mammal. In my mind it's exactly the same as a human child being torn apart by a Siberian Tiger (due to negligence by the animal's owner). Hence, there will be no excuses or soft coddling from me on this issue.

Both times it's wrote off as bird safety as the only thing that matters.
    It's not written off! Bird safety is infinitely more important than human feelings and thus it's presented as the highest priority among our site's policy documents - which each of our members are expected to familiarize themselves with before using our services. When members fail to familiarize themselves with our policies and values, or when they simply ignore them, and then when their own descriptions within their thread posts prove that to be the case, that's when they need to be addressed in firm manner. And I personally think that's far better than banning them on the spot for failing to research our policies.

Yes it's important but if the people who need to learn about bird safety the most don't stick around birds aren't being helped which defeats the biggest point of these groups.
    People who aren't willing to accept warranted criticism won't listen anyway. Most folks of that sort merely seek approval and flatter. I've mentioned my repeated experiences involving folks not listening to many various approaches (including the one that you support). There's a far greater benefit down the road from highlighting the shocking reality about pet-related negligence, I assure you. I somehow suspect that you'll never be able to grasp this truth, though

There is a reason the membership is declining rather than growing. Is it unfair of me to make these assumptions, perhaps.
    Both unfair and inaccurate. Membership is not declining... we have actually gained more members than we have lost. So again, you are incorrect, Shyra. But your theories roll on it seems. I have years of careful observation (with number tracking) to bolster my explanations, by the way.

I'm very thick skinned but it doesn't make me want to start a new thread or post anything that's going on with my flock.
    That's entirely up to you. But something has been inspiring you to contnue submitting posts here - irrespective of what they're about.

Tony, as far as shocking people with harsh truths go, I think people are going to listen or they are not but the people who want to learn how to do what's best for their birds will stick around to learn if they aren't worried they'll be attacked for doing something through ignorance.
    No one was attacked. Innocent pets with no voice were merely defended. There's a BIG difefrence! And how many forum sites have you adminsitered? And for how long?

I think it's pretty obvious from my few posts here that this forum is not a good fit for me so this will be my last post. I do wish y'all the best.
    I suppose then that collectively it makes three members who have left us so far over this related issue. You, Dianne, and Kim. Jen doesn't count for the reason explained.

Please take care of yourself.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Banned

As a new member here, please allow me to give a different perspective as to why your members continue to leave or at the very least refrain from posting and this group doesn't grow in size. I've only been here a half of dozen times and have seen 4 people leave all for the same reasons. First Kim was criticized for rehoming her birds and getting a new one. Instead of making her feel bad for doing that, why didn't someone nicely explain to her that she needs to be educating herself more about the different types of parrots and their general personalities so that she can make a better choice rather than going through several till she finds a good fit? Then it was mentioned that she should have showed more emotion and people would have posted differently. Seriously??? Maybe not showing emotion is the only way she is able to handle this right now. Or maybe she isn't good at writing about how she feels. Regardless does that give anyone the right to judge her or be critical because they didn't perceive her to be feeling bad enough over her loss? Oh wait, because this is about the safety of birds -- not about educating people on how to keep their birds safe--it's all right to make someone feel like crap so that they want to leave and then pat yourselves on the back because well it's not your fault they couldn't deal with the mission of this group. Nope in no way does the size of this group have anything to do with making people feel like crap.
    Shyra, this is truly an upsetting situation for all concerned.

No one, intentionally is out to condemn anyone here. Unfortunately, things get misconstrued in the process of communicating on these discussion forums. It is most difficult to express ones ideals in this arena. Our feelings tend to interfere with an otherwise proactive vision for the wellbeing of companion birds.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (06-01-2016), plax (06-01-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Suzanne, I've been meaning to tell you.. I love your signature!

You are a "serial" Angry Bird!
    Last edited by Mare; 06-01-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Suzanne, I've been meaning to tell you.. I love your signature!
    It's pretty cool, isn't it? Kind of a Franken-Pink image
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Banned

Thanks Tony...Franken-Pink it is! I'm going to name it Franken-Pink
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 06-01-2016 at 11:41 PM.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-02-2016), Mare (06-02-2016), plax (06-01-2016)