User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Rhetorical Irony] Free Baby to a Good Home

Banned

[Rhetorical Irony] Free Baby to a Good Home

Free Baby to a Good Home

We just got a new bird so the baby has to go...
    Two year old female, answers to the name, Chelsea. She is good around other kids, doesn't scream too much, mostly potty-trained & weaned. She has all of her shots and is free to a good home.

She likes men and women and will go to both. Limited vocab, but can say a few words. Good eater, enjoys a varied diet. Believe me, we hate to get rid of her, but we are afraid she might hurt the new bird, and we couldn't let that happen.

What if the baby smothered the bird trying to hold it? Worse, licking food out of the birds mouth or eating out of it's dish? What if she bit the bird!!

We really cannot take that chance. I know it's possible to raise a baby and a bird together, you just have to watch them real carefully, but the whole idea just scares me. We just can't take any chances. A bird could catch a disease from a baby! I mean, without that diaper, they tend to poop anywhere they want to. That is so unsanitary!

What if the bird got salmonella or E.Coli from eating the babies droppings? YUK!! Babies can be sooo messy, you know how they fling their food all over the place. I don't want my bird eating the baby food off the floor!! What really worries me is when babies get older, about 13, they tend to get really hormonal and very temperamental.

They can be a real handful and are very hard to read. It's possible to live with a hormonal 13 year old, but very tricky. Unless you lock them up they try to have sex with the neighbor kid, or worse, they get preggers themselves! Then you have another baby to tend with. You can't even get them fixed like you can a dog or a cat. This is another reason we don't feel up to the ownership issues. So I am trying to find a good home for her. I hate to take her to a shelter, but it may be my only option. My husband is really putting the pressure on me. So if you are interested and you think you can give her a good home, or know of someone who would, please drop me a line.

Copied from the best of Craig's list
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 05-23-2016 at 08:06 PM.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-23-2016), lolsavannahh (05-24-2016), Mare (05-23-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I LOVE it!! . That's where we found our kids, too!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Although they eventually fly the nest, they have a nasty habit of coming back again. Some people have to sell their house and sail off around the world to stop that happening.
    Just when they're getting to like it they have to come back home again because of grandchildren.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 05-23-2016 at 08:27 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Although they eventually fly the nest, they have a nasty habit of coming back again. Some people have to sell their house and sail off around the world to stop that happening.
    Say it ain't so

Banned

Rhetorical Irony

Definition:

(1) Another term for a figure of speech.

(2) A rhetorical device that produces a shift in the meanings of words--in contrast to a scheme, which changes only the shape of a phrase. Also called figure of thought.

According to some rhetoricians, the four master tropes are metaphor, metonymy, synecdoche, and irony

By Richard Nordquist

Grammar & Composition Expert

And...
    •The Western Sensibility
    Some go so far as to say that Socrates' ironic personality inaugurated a peculiarly Western sensibility. His irony, or his capacity not to accept everyday values and concepts but live in a state of perpetual question, is the birth of philosophy, ethics, and consciousness.
    (Claire Colebrook, Irony: The New Critical Idiom, Routledge, 2004)

Or...
    What Are the 5 Canons of Classical Rhetoric?

I see where this could become rather "ironic" in the sense that someone could interpret this as realism
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 05-23-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    From: https://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Terms/irony.html

• In verbal irony (sometimes called rhetorical irony), probably the most straightforward kind of irony, the speaker says something different from what he or she really believes.

In other words, it's a sarcastic play on reality to impress a point. In this case, that point is that many folks do not give equal consideration to pets (e.g., birds) and human children.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-24-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    From: https://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Terms/irony.html

• In verbal irony (sometimes called rhetorical irony), probably the most straightforward kind of irony, the speaker says something different from what he or she really believes.

In other words, it's a sarcastic play on reality to impress a point. In this case, that point is that many folks do not give equal consideration to pets (e.g., birds) and human children.
    I agree... that was the whole point, I wasn't sure were to put the post. thanks for clearing up the confusion

10. The following user likes this post:

plax (05-23-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Say it ain't so
    I know, what a dreadful situation to have to suffer.

and the largest reason for people cutting short their world cruises is wanting to see your grandchildren. How selfish can your children be?
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 05-24-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-24-2016), Penny (05-24-2016)

Ok- first, I just laughed loudly enough to startle the dog. That is well written.

I remember being pregnant with my first child (20 years ago) and being told that I had to get rid of my cat to be a responsible parent. I did not reply quietly and I did NOT get rid of my cat, and I did get a new doctor! I like to think that doesn't happen quite as often now. Didn't have a bird yet... but same would have applied, and my kids are all the better for it. I think that having true friends of multiple species is particularly good for encouraging compassion and mental acuity, for either species.

Just in case I got too serious.. my favorite line is
    It's possible to live with a hormonal 13 year old, but very tricky.
    Probably because I live with a hormonal 14 year old..
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-24-2016), Mare (05-24-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    i know, what a dreadful situation to have to suffer.

and the largest reason for people cutting short their world cruises is wanting to see your grandchildren. How selfish can your children be?
    oh dear! How dreadfull!