User Tag List

Thread: Pak-O-Bird in-pack video camera

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)

Pak-O-Bird in-pack video camera

I've added a camera to my Pak-O-Bird using a cheap borescope. It connects to my Android phone (Android 4 or higher) and lets me see what's going on in the Pak as I walk with her.

I made a small bracket out of the same material as the grab bar so that I could securely stick the borescope through one of the unused grommet holes. Here's 3 pics showing the installation

And here's the video. While walking outside I couldn't really tell how she was sitting but looking at the video it's clear that she has squatted down and pushed her backside up against the back of the Pak which seems to provide her some pretty good support.

Here's the borescope, 5.5mm Android Borescope, different lengths available.

And the video of Nike in the Pak out for a walk

Thanks,
    Bill
    &

2. The following 5 users like this post:

CharlieMyLovebird (01-16-2023), Girl_Digital (03-11-2017), kendrafitz (05-22-2016), lolsavannahh (05-23-2016), Mare (05-25-2016)

Banned

Very Cool

Very cool Bill. great infomercial, I think I could possibly do this thanks for the great video.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Very cool Bill. great infomercial, I think I could possibly do this thanks for the great video.
    An infomercial might suggest that I get paid for this I'm always improving on all my hobbies and this was pretty easy.

My biggest concern with the Pak-O-Bird was that I had no idea how Nike was riding while I walked....for all I knew she was cowering in a corner while moving. This put my mind at ease and also will be connected each time I walk so I can check up on her.

Did you see my beak grab bar that I posted over on Parrotforums? I should post that here too, not sure if everyone visits both.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

Parrots

Here's the beak grab bar.

So I thought about it and came up with this. I was actually intending to use some 1/8" aluminum bar stock but I couldn't find any locally. My intent was the same design as below with the flat bar except I would bend the round bar like a paper clip in order to attach it. I may still if I run across some 1/8" bar.

This is the completed beak grab from the top and the side. Everything is smooth. I cut the material with tin snips and then smoothed the cut edges. Bending was easy, a vise, pliers and a plastic hammer.

Here's how it attaches, you just slip in on the plastic frame like a paper clip.

Obviously the overall length is larger than the opening so you have to put it in at an angle and then slide it up or down to the desired height. It will work on the front or the back. It stays where you put it.

Here's an example of the material I used.

Lowes Aluminum Flat

I haven't tried it with Nike yet though on two walks she has stayed planted on the perch.

For her I intend on sliding it up as far as I can and then putting her in the Pak and moving it into position.

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

6. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), Mare (05-25-2016)

Banned

How cleaver is that , upgrades for Nikie, a safety belt for Birds of sorts .

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Excellent work, it will be interesting to hear if Nike makes use of the beak grab bar, before I have a go at engineering something from the aluminium rod and bar I have in stock.
    I think Casper's backpack could do with airbags for when Margaret suddenly bends over to pick something up, forgetting about the welfare of her passenger.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), Lady (05-22-2016), Mare (05-25-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    What a great idea!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Very nice!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I love all the added improvements to Nike's pack! Please let us know how your vacation goes!

Parrots

Blue and Gold Macaw -- named Jimmy Bahama!
    Wow... what a creative idea! I have a Pack-O-Bird for Jimmy. I just might try this! Thanks for sharing.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-11-2017), Quakerella (03-12-2017)