User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a grey bird..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Thanks, Suzanne. I understand Karl is in good health and has had recent vet checks. I will definitely ask and will have an open eye.
    That's a good start

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I totally agree, very weak excuses for trying to find a new home for a member of the family! I will check for blood splatters on the walls and scaring on the face. He's asking $200 for the bird. It could be a totally plucked bird, it could be a fully neglected bird..I won't know till tomorrow.
    I hope not

3. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-22-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Does Karl have a routine that he is use to? Does he have a favorite food, snack or treat? Has he ever spent any time around other birds? Will he come with all his things? Is he hand tame to any degree? Was he covered at night? Is there anything that frightens him that they may be aware of? Has he ever been in a car? Do they have a carrier or will you have to bring one?

5. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), Mare (05-22-2016), The Pinkertons (05-22-2016)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    The only thing worse than an unwanted bird is the one you keep and ignore. He may not realize it but this is the best thing that could happen to the grey.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-23-2016), kendrafitz (05-22-2016), Mare (05-22-2016)

I think I would try doing a little detective work and find out maybe from the neighbors, how long he has lived there. If he has lived there a while I would not believe a word they say because they would be hiding things about the relationship they hope to pass off onto some unsuspecting person in order to get Karl off their hands.

When you go there, go there as an 'observer' not like a 'buyer' who is so happy to meet a new little birdie. By that I mean to observe every little detail in how they interact with Karl. It will be tougher as a lot of Greys don't necessarily like the hands on thing so stay keen on watching for the subtle signs of difficulty in handling him. I think I would ask the point blank question of: 'Just how bad has he ever bitten' as I think people would be thrown for a loop and actually start telling you stories. Pay attention to those stories and how often they happen, if there is a real pattern going on. Maybe another question to ask is 'What is something that you would like Karl to stop doing'. Get the people to talk, maybe tell them a story or two of your own, just get them to open up.

It could just be they cannot take anymore all the copying of sounds that Greys do such as the phone ring, or the alarm sounding. I think that could get to be annoying for someone who thought it was fun in the beginning but then it became more of a 'You try living with that' scenario when it is on going and they find themselves to not be the bird type owners they thought they were.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), Mare (05-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Does Karl have a routine that he is use to? Does he have a favorite food, snack or treat? Has he ever spent any time around other birds? Will he come with all his things? Is he hand tame to any degree? Was he covered at night? Is there anything that frightens him that they may be aware of? Has he ever been in a car? Do they have a carrier or will you have to bring one?
    Super good questions..thank you, Alice!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaw Lover View Post
    I think I would try doing a little detective work and find out maybe from the neighbors, how long he has lived there. If he has lived there a while I would not believe a word they say because they would be hiding things about the relationship they hope to pass off onto some unsuspecting person in order to get Karl off their hands.

When you go there, go there as an 'observer' not like a 'buyer' who is so happy to meet a new little birdie. By that I mean to observe every little detail in how they interact with Karl. It will be tougher as a lot of Greys don't necessarily like the hands on thing so stay keen on watching for the subtle signs of difficulty in handling him. I think I would ask the point blank question of: 'Just how bad has he ever bitten' as I think people would be thrown for a loop and actually start telling you stories. Pay attention to those stories and how often they happen, if there is a real pattern going on. Maybe another question to ask is 'What is something that you would like Karl to stop doing'. Get the people to talk, maybe tell them a story or two of your own, just get them to open up.

It could just be they cannot take anymore all the copying of sounds that Greys do such as the phone ring, or the alarm sounding. I think that could get to be annoying for someone who thought it was fun in the beginning but then it became more of a 'You try living with that' scenario when it is on going and they find themselves to not be the bird type owners they thought they were.

Thank you, so much, Renee. Great advice!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Ok, this is our last corespondence. Who is the idiot here, me or him..?.?

Marilee Rose Miller
    5/21, 5:18pm
    Marilee Rose Miller
    Hi! My neice told me that you are looking for a home for your grey. I've never owned one but am an experienced parrot person. I have cockatoos and know how challenging they can be. If you are still looking for a person for your bird,,let me know smile emoticon
    Today

4:34amGarry Jones accepted your request.
    Garry Jones
    4:35am
    Garry Jones
    hello thanks for your interest in the bird. he is 4 years old loves sitting on the shoulder. he is a good talker,hand tamed. he well behaved and loves children. also good with other household pets and has all documents and in good health. i do need to get the baby into a new family ASAP, cos we just moved into a new home where pets are not allowed and i got a new job so i will not have time to look after the bird or give him that attention like before. please do let me know if you can give that good home for the baby. please. where are you located? do get back to me asap thanks
    Today
    Marilee Rose Miller
    7:49am
    Marilee Rose Miller
    Hi, Garry smile emoticon. I'm located off of Rd.600, between Raymond and Ahwahnee. I'm sitting here talking with my husband about Karl bird. He's good with it and I know I can give your bird a good home,,YOU just don't know it! I have an Umbrella Cockatoo, a Goffins cockatoo and two cockatiels. My 'tiels are setting on eggs that are due to hatch real soon smile emoticon
    All of my birds are rescues and needed a good home so..here they are! I would love to meet Karl, I can't get away today but tomorrow would work for me. Let me know, thank you!
    Today
    Marilee Rose Miller
    12:02pm
    Marilee Rose Miller
    Hello..?..? If you want to call me my # is
    Garry Jones
    2:40pm
    Garry Jones
    ok so are u gonna take Karl?
    we just want the best home for him
    Marilee Rose Miller
    2:56pm
    Marilee Rose Miller
    I would like to meet him first. Let me know what works for you, Garry.
    Garry Jones
    2:57pm
    Garry Jones
    where u at?
    ?
    Marilee Rose Miller
    3:15pm
    Marilee Rose Miller
    scroll up a couple of posts..I live between Raymond and Ahwahnee
    Garry Jones
    3:43pm
    Garry Jones
    oh can u come pickup or would u prefer i arrange for a pet courier to deliver to your home address directly since they do offer door to door services cos we just moved into a new home where pets are not allowed
    Last edited by Mare; 05-22-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Banned

What the heck ...something fishy in Denmark

14. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-23-2016)

Banned

Sounds like a scam... Tony should talk to them , he
    's good at busting their scam

16. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-22-2016)