User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a grey bird..

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Thinking about a grey bird..

My neice contacted me about an add she found, someone looking to relocate their African Grey. I'm in touch with the guy that owns him, he's local, he's just moved into a place that doesn't allow pets and has started a new job that doesn't allow him the time needed to spend with the bird.

I don't know if it's a CAG or a TAG, not that I would know the difference . I don't know if I could get past the googly eye thing they do but he's supposed to be a very friendly, 4yr. old named Karl. I'm going to go meet him tomorrow.

I'm not familiar with Greys, at all..but I do have room in my heart, time to spend and the gumption to take on another bird. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for when meeting this Karl bird..questions I should ask, besides the obvious like diet stuff?

2. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I don't know anything about greys. They seem like awesome birds though. Just wanted to say I'm so excited for you!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

4. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-22-2016)

Banned

Health

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    My neice contacted me about an add she found, someone looking to relocate their African Grey. I'm in touch with the guy that owns him, he's local, he's just moved into a place that doesn't allow pets and has started a new job that doesn't allow him the time needed to spend with the bird.

I don't know if it's a CAG or a TAG, not that I would know the difference . I don't know if I could get past the googly eye thing they do but he's supposed to be a very friendly, 4yr. old named Karl. I'm going to go meet him tomorrow.

I'm not familiar with Greys, at all..but I do have room in my heart, time to spend and the gumption to take on another bird. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for when meeting this Karl bird..questions I should ask, besides the obvious like diet stuff?
    Googly eye thing... Mare , that's funny! I'm not to knowledgeable about Greys. Health of the Bird should be first question to ask. When was last check-up. if Bird has Current health issues. etc.

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-22-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    ...he's just moved into a place that doesn't allow pets and has started a new job that doesn't allow him the time needed to spend with the bird.
    Bad excuses, not good enough even to be reasons. Obviously he should never have been allowed to have a parrot in the first place and you should warn his girlfriend about a likely lack of commitment. Either that or this is a psycho-parrot* that has tried to kill him - so check for blood stains up the walls and scratches on his face.

*I have a vivid imagination.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), Mare (05-22-2016), The Pinkertons (05-22-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Bad excuses, not good enough even to be reasons. Obviously he should never have been allowed to have a parrot in the first place and you should warn his girlfriend about a likely lack of commitment. Either that or this is a psycho-parrot* that has tried to kill him - so check for blood stains up the walls and scratches on his face.

Thank you for the giggle Jean-Pierre!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

10. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-22-2016)

Banned

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-22-2016), Mare (05-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Googly eye thing... Mare , that's funny! I'm not to knowledgeable about Greys. Health of the Bird should be first question to ask. When was last check-up. if Bird has Current health issues. etc.

Thanks, Suzanne. I understand Karl is in good health and has had recent vet checks. I will definitely ask and will have an open eye.

Nobility Member

Parrots

I totally agree, very weak excuses for trying to find a new home for a member of the family! I will check for blood splatters on the walls and scaring on the face. He's asking $200 for the bird. It could be a totally plucked bird, it could be a fully neglected bird..I won't know till tomorrow.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), The Pinkertons (05-22-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I think he should be paying you for getting him out of a bad situation and giving his bird a proper home. Good luck.
    Plucked birds need love too, you could crochet it lots of little body-warmers, not in bright colours which might make it feel ridiculous and self-conscious but nice shades of grey. Erm, I might be getting a bit ahead of the game so I'll stop.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 05-22-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

17. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), Mare (05-22-2016), The Pinkertons (05-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Jean-Pierre, you only say this because you know I'm a good people that loves birds. When I went to introduce myself to Sassy, her owner was asking $300 for her and ended up giving her to me for free. I would surely pay $200 for a bird that needs a home and maybe putting a price on a bird is the only way to get someone who might be serious..

19. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), The Pinkertons (05-22-2016)