User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Thinking about a grey bird..

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    The first thing to be done would be to find out how big a problem it is by requesting information from the money transfer companies as to how many complaints they have about fraud and how much money is being syphoned out of the economy. The next step would be to get the government to put pressure on the the governments of the worst offending countries to do something about it. By diplomatic channels then and naming and shaming. The threat of reducing aid is a useful tool.
    That sounds like a task for a committee/investigation team to me. I suspect something like that may have to begin with a public petition. I have no idea on the requirements involved.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Aye, public petition, letters to Senators, bring on board other victims like classic/valuable car purchasers. Do you have a national consumer fightback magazine/website like our which.co.uk and which? magazine
    Advertising websites/magazines/newspapers should be more pro-active, if you can tell that a scammer is based abroad surely they can as well. As I mentioned earlier, the money transfer companies should be doing more to protect the purchasers (they get enough commission!)
    It is a much bigger problem than people think.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Aye, public petition, letters to Senators, bring on board other victims like classic/valuable car purchasers.
    My guess is that it would be quite difficult to locate many victims of this crime who would be willing to admit their experiences, much less publicize them. And that's simply because (at least as far as the pet ads go) the victims appear to be few and far between in conjunction with the fact that having succumbed to such a scam can be considerably embarrassing for folks. And I don't have a great deal of confidence in this country's legislators. Among them, there is far too much corruption, reciprocity with/catering to special interests, and apathy toward the plight of the average citizen. In short, I don't trust that our legislators would be interested enough to become effectively involved.

Do you have a national consumer fightback magazine/website like our which.co.uk and which? magazine
    I would think so. However I'm unfamiliar with them. It may be worth checking into.

Advertising websites/magazines/newspapers should be more pro-active
    That sounds like a huge campaign to me

if you can tell that a scammer is based abroad surely they can as well.
    There are a few ways I am able to determine that an author/publisher of an animal scam ad is based abroad. One such way is by the presence of canned phrases and descriptions within the text body, as well as by an accompanying presence of stolen and inconsistent animal photos. The descriptive ploys contained therein typically adhere to a particular format. They usually involve long-winded, inconsistent hardship stories and tend to be replete with grammatical errors. Another method I utilize is to fool the author/publisher into visiting a website hosted on one of my own domains. Doing so, of course, renders the perpetrator's WAN IP address within the domain's connection log, which in turn reveals their geographic location. Unfortunately, however, success from this method is not always possible. It can be foiled by a proxy or by simple avoidance. So determining a point of origin is not always successful. And as these people/organizations become increasingly wiser the method will likely become even less dependable.

As I mentioned earlier, the money transfer companies should be doing more to protect the purchasers (they get enough commission!)
    I agree. But thy are international. So who has ultimate jurisdiction over them?

It is a much bigger problem than people think.
    That may be. But efficaciously penetrating said problem would be a huge challenge for anyone! I also maintain my opinion that the victims are few and far between despite the ongoing nature of this phenomenon. In other words, my impression is that the ratio of victims to the amount of published scam ads is infinitesimally low. The problem is "big" due to its sheer long-standing persistence.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Law enforcement, at least here in the US, have their hands full with murders, robberies and such and basically don't have extra time to be tracking something down on a small case likes these let alone in another country. I can see law enforcement wanting to investigate but they have to sort things by priority and let's face it, something like this is small and they just can't get to everything.

Banned

Buyer beware...If it sounds to good to be true, It usually is. Common sense, DICTATES Think with your head not your heart.

6. The following user likes this post:

Macaw Lover (05-28-2016)