User Tag List

Thread: Cuttlebones..

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Cuttlebones..

Does anyone with a large parrot use cuttle bones in the cage? I know they are a great source for calcium. I use a micro-grater and shave it on top of food. This is a good info!

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-maga...2-27-1237.aspx

2. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Banned

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Does anyone with a large parrot use cuttle bones in the cage? I know they are a great source for calcium. I use a micro-grater and shave it on top of food. This is a good info!

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-maga...2-27-1237.aspx
    I buy the loose cuttle bones the one without the little metal thing that hooks on the cage bars a safety hazard for bigger birds. I give them whole Cuttle Bone .Part of their foot toy stuff they play with them and chew them . I toss in with the toys they play with from their toy box.

4. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-22-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I know Lady isn't a large parrot but she doesn't bother with a cuttle bone much. She thinks it's a toy and likes to destroy it. I like to rely on calcium rich foods in her diet like boc choy, cabbage, collard greens, beans, kale, celery...

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-21-2016), Mare (05-22-2016), The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I wish we could get Casper to eat his green veggies.
    He does enjoy trashing a cuttlefish bone though, the end result is that the bottom of the cage looks as though there has been an explosion in a meringue factory. There is always one in his cage for when he is in the right mood. I presume a little of it gets digested... and it must help keep his beak trimmed. So all in all it's a winner, apart from the clearing up after.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (05-22-2016), Mare (05-22-2016), The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    I grind up the cuttle bone and put it in their food..the only one that ever had much to do with cuttle bone in a raw state was my cgc and she was malnourished and on deaths door...needed all the vitamins and nutrients...but most of our birds see em as in the way..

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    My cockatiels, that are nesting,,devour the cuttlebone!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Well Mare, that's good as they need it for the chicks. Good sturdy shells to keep them young'ins safe.

13. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

That they do, Alice! This clutch is do to hatch any minute. I'm hoping it works this time..fingers crossed!

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-22-2016), kendrafitz (05-22-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Rosie has one in her cage. She with go at it once in a great while.

Excited to hear about new babies Mare!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    I don't use cuttlebones bc I give Nash veggies and good pellets so he doesn't need it.. I used to when I first got him but now I feel like it would be excessive
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

18. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-23-2016)