User Tag List

Thread: I have a silly question! Again

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon

I have a silly question! Again

How can you sprout some bird seed (food) for sprouts for the birds to eat? I saw this a time back but can not remember how to do it

2. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (05-20-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I recommend Google it! Sprouts are super easy, whether the birds love them, or not..is up to them!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I could be wrong, it will be interesting to see what google comes up with, but try leaving them on some wet cotton wool on a window sill. I think this is how we sprouted water cress for salads when I was a kid. It was a very long time ago.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following user likes this post:

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I sprout seeds regularly and my birds have them daily. Don't know if this site is available to you, I buy all my seeds from them. Mumm's seeds or sprout's ....can't remember exactly, located in Saskatchewan Canada. Easy to sprout and have never had a problem with the seeds. I think the key is to get seeds specifically grown for sprouting and I am guessing there must be sites in most countries that sell them.

7. The following user likes this post:

Parrots

TAG, GW
    Another good site is http://sprouthouse.com/ I love their Easy Sprouter and seed mixes. They also have nice instructions on growing the different seeds on their site.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-21-2016), The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Parrots

Tulio (Congo African Grey), Zuri (pineapple green cheek conure), Ezio & Nigella (budgies)
    I almost always have sprouts in various stages for our birds. Usually I do a mix of adzuki beans, mung beans, several different types of lentil and wheat berries. I sprout those together to keep things interesting and because they all have a similar pre-soak and sprouting time. I also regularly sprout quinoa (which finishes faster), buckwheat groats (very short soaking time) and teff (super small and requires cheesecloth instead of a metal mesh to prevent it all going down the drain). Really, the teff is annoying to sprout but the budgies LOVE it. Sunflower seeds and almonds also sprout really well. I usually come up with the mix in the morning and get it soaking for the day. 8 or so hours later, for most sprouts, I drain them and rinse them well and leave the sprouting jar inverted on an angle. The next day I rinse and drain 3 or so times...and so on, until everything has sprouted to where I want it. Once they are ready, they go into the fridge where they keep for a couple of days.
    https://sproutpeople.org/ is a good resource to help get you started.

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-21-2016), Mare (05-21-2016), The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janelle View Post
    I almost always have sprouts in various stages for our birds. Usually I do a mix of adzuki beans, mung beans, several different types of lentil and wheat berries. I sprout those together to keep things interesting and because they all have a similar pre-soak and sprouting time. I also regularly sprout quinoa (which finishes faster), buckwheat groats (very short soaking time) and teff (super small and requires cheesecloth instead of a metal mesh to prevent it all going down the drain). Really, the teff is annoying to sprout but the budgies LOVE it. Sunflower seeds and almonds also sprout really well. I usually come up with the mix in the morning and get it soaking for the day. 8 or so hours later, for most sprouts, I drain them and rinse them well and leave the sprouting jar inverted on an angle. The next day I rinse and drain 3 or so times...and so on, until everything has sprouted to where I want it. Once they are ready, they go into the fridge where they keep for a couple of days.
    https://sproutpeople.org/ is a good resource to help get you started.
    Thanks Janelle for the detailed info.
    I never tried sprouting before . It always seemed like a mystery...I do soak with various legumes and grains\ I 'll give it a try.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I tried sprouting too. It didn't work out because I wasn't consistent. You really must rinse them daily or they dry out and die quickly.

14. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (05-22-2016)