User Tag List

Thread: Concern or not to be concerned?

Parrots

TAG, GW

Concern or not to be concerned?

Harley (tag) will be 13 next month. The past two-three years her hormones have been off the charts and she even started plucking her chest last year and not letting her feathers grow back. Vet didn't find anything. She's plucked in the past due to hormones and needed medication to help calm them. The vet thinks it just became a habit last year. That being said...Just this week she's started hunting dark spaces and has even bit me a couple times for trying to remove her from areas. She's never done this no matter how bad her hormones were. Harley is the only female bird I've had and has never laid an egg. My question is should I be concerned she might, should I be doing something special in her diet just in case, do your birds give any warning they might be getting ready to lay eggs? Or maybe it's just a new phase for her and I'm over thinking it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Is she on a low protein diet? An expert will put me right if I am wrong but I think that is what she needs. Have you talked about her diet with your vet?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

TAG, GW
    The vet has always approved of her diet - she knows I try hard even if Harley is picky. I hadn't thought about the protein factor. I don't think she's getting more than usual. Maybe a little more egg the past couple of days because I thought that might help with calcium just in case but her behavior started before that but it could be contributing to keeping it on going I guess. I'll have to check my notes and find a better calcium source before I go grocery shopping tomorrow. Thanks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shyra View Post
    Harley (tag) will be 13 next month. The past two-three years her hormones have been off the charts and she even started plucking her chest last year and not letting her feathers grow back. Vet didn't find anything. She's plucked in the past due to hormones and needed medication to help calm them. The vet thinks it just became a habit last year. That being said...Just this week she's started hunting dark spaces and has even bit me a couple times for trying to remove her from areas. She's never done this no matter how bad her hormones were. Harley is the only female bird I've had and has never laid an egg. My question is should I be concerned she might, should I be doing something special in her diet just in case, do your birds give any warning they might be getting ready to lay eggs? Or maybe it's just a new phase for her and I'm over thinking it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    My Female Galah never laid an egg she recently passed .
    She was 30 years old. I'm not to familiar with Greys. From what I understand they have a tendency to become feather pluckers .

What about providing her with a box turned upside-down. My birds like to hide, shred, and play with the fruit juice boxes from Costco they are perfect because they have a U shaped cutout and their free! at the bottled juice section snatch up a few every time I go .
    What I like about them no staples, recycled cardboard no tape.

Your Vet ruled out health Issues,. I'm sure you probably know this but I'll mention it anyway for the heck of it! Birds are very Empathic they pick up on our energy and behave accordingly. Has their been any significant changes to the Household Routine, Stress from her " Chosen Person" may come across to her . I notice with my birds they mirror my energy . Hopefully Another Member More Knowledgeable Than Myself About Your Concerns Will Chime In
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 05-18-2016 at 05:07 AM.

5. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-22-2016)

Parrots

TAG, GW
    Suzanne you bring up a good point I hadn't thought of. Nothing has changed inside the house but outside I've had men coming and going for the past two and a half weeks working on the yard. We've had 24 large trees removed and a huge amount of brush and nonsense. With all the rain we've had they actually only shown up 6 days but when they are here it's very noisy and the dogs won't stop barking so maybe that is a huge part of the problem. They should be done by this weekend (fingers crossed the weather people are right about no rain for the next two days) so maybe her behavior will be back to normal by next week. Maybe my over compensating on her diet and then everything going on outside are the big contributing factors. Thanks, I'm starting to feel better. Maybe she's not going to lay an egg and I'm worrying for nothing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shyra View Post
    Suzanne you bring up a good point I hadn't thought of. Nothing has changed inside the house but outside I've had men coming and going for the past two and a half weeks working on the yard. We've had 24 large trees removed and a huge amount of brush and nonsense. With all the rain we've had they actually only shown up 6 days but when they are here it's very noisy and the dogs won't stop barking so maybe that is a huge part of the problem. They should be done by this weekend (fingers crossed the weather people are right about no rain for the next two days) so maybe her behavior will be back to normal by next week. Maybe my over compensating on her diet and then everything going on outside are the big contributing factors. Thanks, I'm starting to feel better. Maybe she's not going to lay an egg and I'm worrying for nothing.
    Fingers crossed...I think we hit the nail on the head, Every time we have stuff going on around here Inside or out the routine is off . Our critters get stressed . I do too! they pick up on all that commotion.