User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New TNT Toys For Charlie

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Michelle: I'm disappointed that this issue exploded as well. However, warnings and alerts involving bird safety receive top priority at Precisely Parrots. When a valid safety warning is presented within a discussion thread and in turn that valid safety warning becomes publicly trivialized/criticized by certain members, said criticism significantly detracts from the impact of that valid safety warning. This means that future readers of the thread will be less likely to take the warning as seriously as they otherwise might, since the appearance is that the warning is buried in controversy. With the current issue, that likelihood may result in someone who comes across this very thread and happens to be the new guardian of a larger parrot that is prone to snap brittle objects -but who may not know the bird's personality and inclinations yet- mostly or fully ignoring the safety warning and thus allowing the new bird to interact with the plastic/acrylic objects at issue. And ignoring the warning in such a case creates the potential for a tragic end. We should be doing everything we can to avoid producing even one instance of this scenario that could result in injury or death to a parrot somewhere.

I made a one-line warning here (post #4). It should not have been challenged by anyone because it was presented in the best interest of companion parrots and their safety. No one here has the right to interfere with a valid safety warning. Period!

If some members feel resentful over my actions concerning this issue and thus choose to leave our community, it's truly a shame and I'm sincerely sorry to see them go. But social dynamics and pacification of members must be secondary to bird safety matters among this community. My hope is that most folks understand this value and will embrace it. Unfortunately, however, if they don't, our policy on safety warning priority will not change.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    My 2 cents.

Tony's comment would have gone over better it it had said,

"Nice looking toys. But two of them have a lot of hard plastic parts. My concern is that many birds will shatter or bite bits off of those and potentially ingest some of the shards. I don't consider them safe for all birds for that reason and therefore the purchaser should consider his/her bird's attributes carefully when making a toy selection".

To me, that statement should not have drawn any criticism. I see that the real issue are the words exchanged after the comment which I view as a little harsh by all parties.

Of course this is all hindsight. Hopefully you folks can make amends privately and we can get back to the business of enjoying our sometimes, loud, sometimes obnoxious, sometimes pain inflicting joys of our lives.

Personally I'd delete this thread.

Bill
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

3. The following user likes this post:

Penny (05-19-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    My 2 cents.

"Nice looking toys. But two of them have a lot of hard plastic parts. My concern is that many birds will shatter or bite bits off of those and potentially ingest some of the shards. I don't consider them safe for all birds for that reason and therefore the purchaser should consider his/her bird's attributes carefully when making a toy selection".
    That is the verbatim text from my initial post, Bill. In fact it's a copy n paste. The only thing you've added is: "and therefore the purchaser should consider his/her bird's attributes carefully when making a toy selection" and the "for all birds" part. To my mind, telling folks they should consider the attributes of one's bird is a pretty non-specific recommendation. It doesn't go on to elaborate on the power or the personality factors that may create more of a risk for certain birds than for others - I think an entire thread or article could be published about how to assess a bird's proneness in this regard. So your appended statement doesn't really provide much additional information than the foundational statement that I originally posted. My intent with that original reply was to present a general and brief warning concerning the potentially harmful materials. It was not intended to elaborate on the variables or to assess thresholds on bird size, strength, or personality. It was an alert about a real danger that may potentially render a tragic result for certain birds and their owners. It's a worthy and important warning which I don't believe deserved criticism. Honestly, I don't feel that had I tailored and appended a few additional suffix words that it would have made much difference as far as the negative feedback that ensued. But thanks for your opinion

To me, that statement should not have drawn any criticism. I see that the real issue are the words exchanged after the comment which I view as a little harsh by all parties.
    I agree. However, the warning is an important one that needed to be posted. It's a shame that its impact was diluted by the aftermath

All of this website's trials and tribulations remain intact. I would hate to ruin that record. But thank you for the suggestion.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Banned

My 2 cents.

Of course this is all hindsight. Hopefully you folks can make amends privately and we can get back to the business of enjoying our sometimes, loud, sometimes obnoxious, sometimes pain inflicting joys of our lives.

Bill
    Hindsight is always 20/20 no one is perfect. I agree at the end of the day. We all shake hands and rally around what we are all here for "the love and safety of or birds large and small " . Learn and move on. Personally I think Tony is more than gracious allowing everyone to publicly bash him. I know for certain that wouldn't fly on other companion bird forums. so lets all step back, take a deep breath calm down and appreciate what we have here.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Karen (05-19-2016), mdg1109 (05-21-2016), Penny (05-19-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    I am all for a healthy debate, I am guilty of sometimes taking things too personally and get upset but I do not let it change my views or opinions. I was just starting this post because I was happy that Charlie was getting new toys because I love him and I know how much he loves to play.

My most important job as a bird parent is keeping my bird safe, I would in no way endanger him by giving him something that would harm him and he is always supervised when he plays.

I am truly saddened by the outcome of this post and hope that everyone can respect each others thoughts and opinions and move forward. I obviously am not on PP as much because of going back to work and I did not read all of the posts on this thread.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

plax (05-21-2016), The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1109 View Post
    I am all for a healthy debate, I am guilty of sometimes taking things too personally and get upset but I do not let it change my views or opinions. I was just starting this post because I was happy that Charlie was getting new toys because I love him and I know how much he loves to play.

My most important job as a bird parent is keeping my bird safe, I would in no way endanger him by giving him something that would harm him and he is always supervised when he plays.

I am truly saddened by the outcome of this post and hope that everyone can respect each others thoughts and opinions and move forward. I obviously am not on PP as much because of going back to work and I did not read all of the posts on this thread.
    No Worries Michelle...
    I would really miss chatting with you on "Our Form".

I consider us a Cyber Family of sorts. Since we are a rather close knit group, We all tend to interact on a somewhat intimate manner here on PP.
    I feel it is a genuine and unique quality, the other Forums simply do not possess.

Please try to understand, Tony is not trying to threaten, criticize , or belittle anyone, He was merely bringing to your attention that those particular types of toys could pose a potential risk to your bird. Because they are more suited for a smaller bird. Like a Conure size beak. Just for comparison my Cockatoo's beaks are smaller than Charlie's. Bella would trash those toys in a split second...Just saying.

Welcome Home

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Penny (05-24-2016), plax (05-21-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    This thread was difficult for me to read as it exploded with so much controversy.

I agree with Tony's point about the hard plastic. When he said shards of hard plastic I stopped reading and went to look at Lady's toys. You can bet they had some hard plastic on them, or now I can say did have. Thinking that I could stop her or even see that she may swallow small pieces is something I don't want to imagine.

I appreciate the words of wisdom that are printed on this forum. I learn so much here. Lady would love to play with the toys that you showed, but that doesn't mean I should give them to her. I surely hope we all consider that things that are said here are to help each other and our birds.

I am even a bit concerned about the kind of wood that is used on each toy. I will be going on some of the past threads and re read about the different types of wood that is used. Heaven knows we don't want any pieces of anything that is not food in them. The thread about clothing or strings that were talked about a little bit ago was scary enough.

12. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), mdg1109 (05-24-2016), plax (05-21-2016), The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    No Worries Michelle...
    I would really miss chatting with you on "Our Form".

I consider us a Cyber Family of sorts. Since we are a rather close knit group, We all tend to interact on a somewhat intimate manner here on PP.
    I feel it is a genuine and unique quality, the other Forums simply do not possess.

Please try to understand, Tony is not trying to threaten, criticize , or belittle anyone, He was merely bringing to your attention that those particular types of toys could pose a potential risk to your bird. Because they are more suited for a smaller bird. Like a Conure size beak. Just for comparison my Cockatoo's beaks are smaller than Charlie's. Bella would trash those toys in a split second...Just saying.

Welcome Home
    Thank you Suzanne. I agree we are a tight knit group and within all families there are bound to be disagreements. As long as the disagreements do not belittle anyone or disrespect anyone I think that is ok. I definitely agree that our birds safety is most important, I would never do anything to put Charlie in harms way or support or encourage anyone to do that to their birds. I understand Tony was just wanting to point out the potential dangers, I think that every bird owner should realize what their bird is capable of and keep a very watchful eye on them with their toys especially new ones. I am saddened however at the turn this thread took, I never like to see people leave.

Well, the clock is telling me it is time to start getting ready for the day. I am happy to be a part of this forum, it is like a home away from home with like mind bird folks. Have a great day!

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Penny (05-24-2016), plax (05-24-2016), The Pinkertons (05-24-2016)

Banned

Same to you Michelle... Have a wonderful day!