User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New TNT Toys For Charlie

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by jmfleish View Post
    Once again, I do feel you made a blanket statement about plastic pieces.
    A blanket conclusion is when someone assumes that one standard applies to everything. For example, an assumption that every toy material presents an equal risk to a bird's health and safety is a blanket conclusion. Such an assumption is simply inaccurate. But nonetheless it seems to be the opinion you've put forward herein. Conversely, to state that given enough pressure, most (or all) *hard* plastic parts tend to fracture leaving sharp edges, and that, if ingested, those sharp edges present a greater likelihood for injury to a bird's internal organs than would parts that are not brittle like *hard* plastics, is not a blanket conclusion. Instead it's a rather specific conclusion.

It's perfectly fine if you feel that you don't want to give plastic parts to your birds but you are indeed making a blanket statement about all plastic parts by stating that they are all dangerous...this just isn't true.
    Again, there have been no blanket statements from me. I've consistently placed the adjective "hard" before each of my references to "plastic" and "acrylic" in order to specify precisely which materials stand the risk of fracturing to the point of sharp edge exposure. I've never stated or implied the same of softer plastic materials. I think my statements have been reasonably specific.

As to why I never came back and posted again to my initial introductory post, that would be because I was told that if I wanted to post here I would have to advertise your forum on my web site and I didn't feel comfortable with that considering I had no real intention of doing any true advertising here. I also don't like the fact that every post I put on here is moderated. This isn't the kind of community that I care to belong to.
    You have apparently been given incorrect information. Posting on this forum site does not require inclusion of a backlink on the posting member's website. It never has and it never will. However, advertising one's bird-related business within the post signature block area is an exchange privilege for which we ask that the member add a backlink to the relevant website. It doesn't cost anything, it's free, and it's easy to do. I believe that's a very fair policy. Why should any member expect us to allow them to promote their business with permanent links on each of their posts without doing us a return favor that is not much trouble and doesn't cost them a cent? In any event, I feel that for someone to introduce themselves and then simply abandon the greeting replies from folks seems rude, not to mention unprofessional.

The reason your posts have been moderated was temporary and nothing personal. It was because we had an individual who joined our community, became quite angry with another member, was banned for inappropriate aggression and then resorted to using proxy connections and false identities to heavily spam our forums with stolen photos from the victim. And ours was not the only forum site targeted by this individual. I chose to implement post moderation on a temporary basis to screen for said individual's presence behind the false identities and proxy IP connections. That's all it was. For what it's worth, your posts are no longer being moderated.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I think that there has been some valid points made in this thread on both sides. I am also finding there is a lot of reactivity ( is that even a word? Lol) to perceived inferences, that as an outsider, I did not see.
    However, I will make the point here, and I will probably take some heat for it, once there is what I call, a blurring of the lines between business and personal, there tends to be difficulties IMO.
    An example I will use comes from another forum. There are now so many vendors there and people that support them, that it almost seems it is becoming the main or driving force of the forum. People have come on the forum looking for information as to where to purchase specific products. The immediate response is to direct, advise, suggest....pick the word, to a forum vendor and almost discount any other suggestion. There are relationships that are quite evident between the vendors and the people recommending them. This is just me, but I can be oppositional and it has the reverse effect on me in that I will not buy from any vendor on that forum. .
    I think people just want to support and help each other out. Particularly when the goal is the same, care of our birds. But when the " group" gets so large, it can get emotionally charged as well. It's unfortunate and I hope that this forum continues to be able to have open discussions about what is in the best interest of our birds. In the end, isn't that what it's about?

3. The following 6 users like this post:

Karen (05-17-2016), kendrafitz (05-18-2016), Lady (05-18-2016), Mare (05-17-2016), Penny (05-19-2016), The Pinkertons (05-17-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I think that there has been some valid points made in this thread on both sides. I am also finding there is a lot of reactivity ( is that even a word? Lol) to perceived inferences, that as an outsider, I did not see.
    However, I will make the point here, and I will probably take some heat for it, once there is what I call, a blurring of the lines between business and personal, there tends to be difficulties IMO.
    An example I will use comes from another forum. There are now so many vendors there and people that support them, that it almost seems it is becoming the main or driving force of the forum. People have come on the forum looking for information as to where to purchase specific products. The immediate response is to direct, advise, suggest....pick the word, to a forum vendor and almost discount any other suggestion. There are relationships that are quite evident between the vendors and the people recommending them. This is just me, but I can be oppositional and it has the reverse effect on me in that I will not buy from any vendor on that forum. .
    I think people just want to support and help each other out. Particularly when the goal is the same, care of our birds. But when the " group" gets so large, it can get emotionally charged as well. It's unfortunate and I hope that this forum continues to be able to have open discussions about what is in the best interest of our birds. In the end, isn't that what it's about?
    Thank you Helena for your unbiased opinion...sometimes we need to take a step back when situations escalate, as the case here .

I too hope to continue to have open discussions about the welfare of our birds.
    I feel that sometimes we have to have a little lightheartedness with some of these topics. Keeping in mind to put ego aside . Enjoy the discussion on neutral ground , which I realize can be difficult. It's sad to witness wounded egos, these Groups are like a family per say. And Family have feuds, But at the end of the day hopefully work through their differences, because thats what makes for a strong bond in any relationship.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-17-2016), Penny (05-19-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Wow..I can see I've been missed! JK . Helena, great post. I, too, buy only toys for my birds that I think THEY may like. The bigger parrots are so destructive that I only spend the big bucks on an expensive toy..maybe, once a year. They are completely, just as happy destroying the wood pine blocks that Tim cuts for me and I string on a strong wire.

Folks feeling attacked, in truth, may be perceiving it wrong?..?..I don't know but PLEASE..let's try and have an open mind and just get along . Makes life so much more pleasant.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-18-2016), mdg1109 (05-18-2016), The Pinkertons (05-17-2016)

Parrots

TAG, GW
    Helena, I agree with what you are saying and that is one of the reasons I stopped participating in that group. Seemed more advertisement than information. In regards to what was implied earlier I know Jen did not join this group for advertisement purposes because she is the one who asked me to join here. Through another member we were told this group was about exchanging information and sharing. And Tony just so you know the reason Jen didn't post on the welcome group is because she's had a lot going on in her life since she first joined. Unlike some people such as myself, she is not on the computer on a daily basis and let's face it after a few days pass it's sometimes hard to post on a thread that everyone has moved on from. But yes like any person would do if something of theirs was being criticized, Jen jumped on to defend herself because safety is a huge priority with her just like it is with me. I used to sell toy parts and will say some of the parts I see used in bird toys is scary. I do think it's good to point out the good and bad of each toy part so that owners will have an idea as to what to look for when their birds play with toys. This is something I am very passionate about as I know others are. Even if we don't agree on particular parts, I agree that emotions need to be left out of it so that the original intent doesn't get lost.

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Karen (05-17-2016), kendrafitz (05-18-2016), The Pinkertons (05-17-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyra View Post
    And Tony just so you know the reason Jen didn't post on the welcome group is because she's had a lot going on in her life since she first joined. Unlike some people such as myself, she is not on the computer on a daily basis and let's face it after a few days pass it's sometimes hard to post on a thread that everyone has moved on from. But yes like any person would do if something of theirs was being criticized, Jen jumped on to defend herself because safety is a huge priority with her just like it is with me. I used to sell toy parts and will say some of the parts I see used in bird toys is scary. I do think it's good to point out the good and bad of each toy part so that owners will have an idea as to what to look for when their birds play with toys. This is something I am very passionate about as I know others are. Even if we don't agree on particular parts, I agree that emotions need to be left out of it so that the original intent doesn't get lost.
    Thanks for your response and your effort to explain, Shyra. I'm however a bit confused by your explanation. While your reasoning makes sense, it doesn't seem to comport with the reason Jen gave earlier this morning. That explanation is as follows:

As to why I never came back and posted again to my initial introductory post, that would be because I was told that if I wanted to post here I would have to advertise your forum on my web site and I didn't feel comfortable with that considering I had no real intention of doing any true advertising here. I also don't like the fact that every post I put on here is moderated. This isn't the kind of community that I care to belong to.
    On a side note, post #21 in this thread is my response to Jen's post this morning. Although I posted it at 6:19 AM, the validation on Jens post -which I was certain I executed- in fact didn't take for some reason. This resulted in my reply post to her not appearing either. I re-exectuted the validation so each of the posts is now public and should appear in the correct order with actual time of creation timestamps.

I have disabled post moderation for everyone. We only need it enabled on rare occasion.

11. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (05-17-2016)

Parrots

TAG, GW
    Tony:

First let me say thank you for getting rid of the moderation. It was nice to be able to post today with no delays. As for Jen actually it is the same as what I said as far as the welcome posts go. She and I have talked about this before. When you have to be moderated, which I understand the reasoning where trolls and such are concerned, it takes the fun out of it because your reply doesn't show up in the sequence you would like it to for it to be relevant. Add that to a busy schedule and you figure what's the point. But I will let Jen speak for herself for now on. Goodness knows she doesn't need me to do it for her.

13. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (05-17-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Shyra View Post
    Tony:

First let me say thank you for getting rid of the moderation. It was nice to be able to post today with no delays. As for Jen actually it is the same as what I said as far as the welcome posts go. She and I have talked about this before. When you have to be moderated, which I understand the reasoning where trolls and such are concerned, it takes the fun out of it because your reply doesn't show up in the sequence you would like it to for it to be relevant. Add that to a busy schedule and you figure what's the point. But I will let Jen speak for herself for now on. Goodness knows she doesn't need me to do it for her.
    As you can see, Shyra, Jen said that her main reason for failing to revisit her introduction thread was the incorrect information she received about there being a requirement to place a backlink for PP on her website if she intended to post here. As I've stated, there is no such requirement. The backlink is only required for advertising in signatures. And anyone concerned about the post moderation should have checked with me. I would have explained that the moderation measure in place would only last for a member's first few posts and then automatically drop off. And that's the only post moderation behavior that's ever been implemented here, by the way. Just a few posts until complete posting freedom, purely to protect our community from the then-current potential post-flooding spam attacks we had encountered. And again, the enablement of said moderation was only temporary. I personally feel that should not have been so intolerable. But of course neither of you knew because neither of you checked with me or, as far as I know, with another staff member concerning the matter. Assumption can often lead us to erroneous conclusions

Parrots

TAG, GW
    Whether you had it on moderation for the reasons I thought or not it doesn't matter. It's your group and I wasn't complaining just stating a fact that it's more fun when there is no moderation and posts are able to be posted in sequence, but I accepted as owner you have the right to moderate and was abiding by that knowing that it was only for a short time. (I did read through all the policies when I joined.) As for this conversation I'm going to do as the song says and "let it go". Birds are more fun to talk about even if my annoying little grey won't stop pooping on my computer screen. LOL

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Penny (05-19-2016), plax (05-17-2016), The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Wow, this thread took a negative turn. Yet again I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was just happy that I got new toys for Charlie and try and give an independently owned business some advertising because that is what small businesses rely on is word of mouth.

I fully understand both side of the arguments but I agree with Dianne, you have to keep your bird supervised and know your bird especially with new toys, objects, people. I wasn't on here for a few days but the negative turn in the post kinda has me worried. I am all for a healthy debate but I don't really see the point of arguing with each other.

18. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (05-18-2016)