User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New TNT Toys For Charlie

I don't particularly like using plastic when I make bird toys, but I think that's because I tend to think about Kiki when designing my toys, and she just didn't like plastic toys.
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

Parrots

Greys, Ekkies, Galahs, Ducorps' Cockatoo, Amazons, Linnies, Serama Chickens
    Tony, didn't you make a blanket statement when you suggested that my toys were not safe? I have been in business for more than ten years now and have not had a problem. While most of my toys are designed for medium sized birds such as greys, Amazons, Eclectus, and smaller Cockatoos, I do have a varied clientele. We have chosen to mix plastics with wood and naturals in many of our designs because we find that most birds like the variety but we also like to carry toys that are all natural or all stainless steel and we are more than happy to custom make toys and remove or add parts that particular customers may or may not want.

I absolutely agree with Shyra in the fact that a parrot can potentially turn any toy into something dangerous and life threatening. I have a very good friend who lost her Black Palm due to the ingestion of wood that pierced his crop, so even wood can cause issues and can indeed kill. I have another friend with a GWM who can't be given anything but SS toys because anything she can chew up and swallow, she will. Most birds do not eat non-food items. Those who do will generally eat anything and everything, not just plastics because they suffer from a disease called Pica. The bottom line is you have to know your bird and what is safe for one bird may not be safe for another bird.

As far as giving birds natural items, it would be great if we were all in the position to do so but a lot of us don't have access to safe and fresh foliage. Our parrots live in our living rooms and eat pellets and bond with us. Nothing about their lives in captivity is like living in a jungle. We have to do the best we can and by providing toys that entertain them and keep them busy I think that's definitely a step in the right direction. TNT Bird Toys works very hard to create toys that will last a little longer but ultimately they are meant to be destroyed.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

LunaLovebird (05-17-2016), Shyra (05-17-2016), spiritbird (05-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    I always found it kind of humorous how we tend to pick out toys for our animals based on our own preference. Many of the toys for our animals are so cute that I'm hesitant to even give it to them. Knowing full well they will be destroyed ($$$) in no time. Where in Nature do Birds have access to the Various Toys That we feel they so Desperately need. Do they really know the difference between a Toy vs. Tree branch with leaves that they Shred, Chew and Strip with the added bonus of getting nutritional benefits such as pectin and naturally occurring enzymes. What about pine cones, Bamboo! my Birds love to strip the bamboo I have growing and chew on the young fresh shoots, no matter where you live, you can find something in nature that will not only be safe but satisfy their chewing . Research here PP the lists of toxic and safe plants and flowers.
    Where in nature do birds get kept in small cells? In nature, they have entire forests at their disposal. Not so for captive birds. While I agree that branches and seed pods, etc, are probably some of the best toys for a parrot, not everyone will have access to these, and some birds just don't take to them. Toys offer a good alternative that can keep the birds interested and not get bored. I think it's a little harsh to judge people for using their money to buy their birds toys instead of finding branches and the like. They both do the job. I also don't agree that people spend all that money on toys without considering what their parrots actually like.

5. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (05-17-2016)

To add, I am fortunate to live where I do. There are lots of bird safe trees here and my birds both get a good supply of native branches and seed pods. Your birds are Australian birds. In their natural habitat they have access to these same things that I can provide for my birds, but you probably can't for yours. Yet, I'm not about to criticise you for not providing them everything they would have access to in their native land, because that is frankly ridiculous. Your birds are clearly happy and well loved.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by jmfleish View Post
    Tony, didn't you make a blanket statement when you suggested that my toys were not safe?
    No, I don't believe I made a blanket statement. I merely expressed my opinion and conveyed a warning about all parrot toys containing hard plastic/acrylic parts (made by anyone). Your toys just happened to incite my warning because they are the subject of this thread and some of them contain hard plastic or acrylic parts. My objective has been to express that, in my view, such parts will add an extra and significant element of danger for certain birds if/when they mutilate those parts during play activities. Stated another way, I am inferring that hard pastic/acrylic materials present a greater risk of serious injury to powerful birds who are prone to crush brittle objects than are some of the other commonly used bird toy materials. I used the example comparison of a mouthful of shredded wood and a mouthful of shattered glass. My conclusion being that the latter would be likely to damage the oral cavity more extensively than the former. It's a thought experiment intended to illustrate my point about the different levels of risk associated with different materials.

I have been in business for more than ten years now and have not had a problem.
    That's nice to hear. However, your record in this regard does not negate the aforementioned risk posed by brittle, fragmentable toy components.

I absolutely agree with Shyra in the fact that a parrot can potentially turn any toy into something dangerous and life threatening.
    But reality holds that certain materials are more easily transformed into dangerous objects than others.

I have a very good friend who lost her Black Palm due to the ingestion of wood that pierced his crop, so even wood can cause issues and can indeed kill. I have another friend with a GWM who can't be given anything but SS toys because anything she can chew up and swallow, she will. Most birds do not eat non-food items. Those who do will generally eat anything and everything, not just plastics because they suffer from a disease called Pica. The bottom line is you have to know your bird and what is safe for one bird may not be safe for another bird.
    Yes, parrot tragedies can occur involving many materials. But again, the risks posed by each material are not equal. Some materials are simply more dangerous than others. I've explained why I feel that hard plastic/acrylic bird toy components present a greater risk than many of the other available toy components. And I will stand by this view. Dianne posted some links in an effort to bolster the opposite opinion. Ironically, one of the URLs she shared described my very concern involving the inherent dangers of hard plastic/acrylic toy components and warned readers accordingly. I am clearly not alone with my perspective.

And by the way, Jennifer... it would have been nice if you could have at least replied once in your introduction thread, Hello from Madison, WI, for the purpose of acknowledging our wonderful members who took time and made effort to greet you. You posted your thread starter on May 2, introducing yourself, but have not returned to the thread since. Yet someone apparently told you that I made a negative comment about toy materials that you use, and here you are.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLovebird View Post
    To add, I am fortunate to live where I do. There are lots of bird safe trees here and my birds both get a good supply of native branches and seed pods. Your birds are Australian birds. In their natural habitat they have access to these same things that I can provide for my birds, but you probably can't for yours. Yet, I'm not about to criticise you for not providing them everything they would have access to in their native land, because that is frankly ridiculous. Your birds are clearly happy and well loved.
    Well lets see now... for the record my birds genetic ancestry is Australian . However Bentley was hatched in Washington State And Bella is a California Girl. We have a great variety of Flora here ,Eucalyptus,
    Wattles, Pines, Palms. And besides It necessarily doesn't have to be Native Flora... It's an added bonus of enjoying something natural, Even dandelion weeds. for variety and enrichment...

They love eating Hibiscus .Bamboo, Gardenias. etc. I collect very large Branches /Trunks of Eucalyptus. Since when am I not entitled to make a statement, I have Bird toys and I spend plenty. Same with Dog toys they are so cute. I know my dogs will destroy them and theyre not cheap.

Yes I do find it funny, because I don't think the bird knows the difference between a block of pine that I get from the lumber yard or one from a toy.
    Same with dog toys I don't think my dog knows the difference between the raccoon squeaky toy from the squirrel squeaky toy.
    I spend a lot on my birds Toys and quality food, $2,000.00 outdoor Aviary. And I also have the luxury to work from home my birds are out with me all the time. So for you to attack me on having a discussion is overreacting.
    You need to practice the art of Discernment . Where did I criticize someone for buying toys ?

Honey, Before you start making assumptions, And Taking things out of context you need to realize on a discussion board/ forum people discuss topics that may become debated. So please lets all agree to disagree. All is well !
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 05-17-2016 at 07:22 AM.

Since when was a debate people just sitting around agreeing with each other? I wasn't making any assumptions. I was responding to your post, which implied (in my mind) a criticism of people who choose to buy toys for their birds over giving them naturally available things. That's a criticism I find ridiculous.

It's also worth noting that there is a difference between criticising a person and criticising their ideas. In future, before you decide to take offence to my words and take them personally, read my posts with that in mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLovebird View Post
    Since when was a debate people just sitting around agreeing with each other? I wasn't making any assumptions. I was responding to your post, which implied (in my mind) a criticism of people who choose to buy toys for their birds over giving them naturally available things. That's a criticism I find ridiculous.

It's also worth noting that there is a difference between criticising a person and criticising their ideas. In future, before you decide to take offence to my words and take them personally, read my posts with that in mind.
    Luna I choose not to continue this discussion with you I don't like were we are going with this. 'Because I could say the same about you'. I'm leaving this here. I have more important things to talk about than bird toys . Its a non issue to me, Unfortunately that is not what I implied . if it came across that way my apologies. Lets put this to rest. What say you

Parrots

Greys, Ekkies, Galahs, Ducorps' Cockatoo, Amazons, Linnies, Serama Chickens
    Tony, I wasn't even going to bother posting to this thread even though it was brought to my attention but I felt that I had to. Bottom line is, yes, it was specifically about my business, so ultimately, I felt I should say something. Once again, I do feel you made a blanket statement about plastic pieces. Neither one of the toys listed would be good toys to give to a large Macaw, especially not the Leather Butterfly with the small pony beads on it but I know plenty of people who know their birds and have no problems giving their large birds those beads because they love to play with them. Even my medium sized birds like to roll them around in their mouths but they don't swallow them nor do they break them. The only acrylic piece on the Alex toy is the pacifier and rarely will a bird even bother with it. Once again, we can make the toy without that piece if the client does not want it. The other pieces are perfectly fine for all birds and do not shatter when broken. It's perfectly fine if you feel that you don't want to give plastic parts to your birds but you are indeed making a blanket statement about all plastic parts by stating that they are all dangerous...this just isn't true. Linda Middleton also wrote an article that was posted that talks about how plastics can bring a lot of fun to toys when used properly with your birds.

As to why I never came back and posted again to my initial introductory post, that would be because I was told that if I wanted to post here I would have to advertise your forum on my web site and I didn't feel comfortable with that considering I had no real intention of doing any true advertising here. I also don't like the fact that every post I put on here is moderated. This isn't the kind of community that I care to belong to.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I truly do not understand how Michelle posting photos of her wonderful new toys from TNT has exploded into what it is now. It upsets me no end. Every single bird toy I have is from TNT! I guess I will not post any more photos of them or my birds playing with them.