User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parrot jesses

Banned

Parrot jesses

What do you think about these vs. flight harness?

Parrots

Green Winged Macaw - Kady (male) Green Winged Macaw - Kita (female)
    Dangerous! IMO, Jesses are safe for Hawks because they have muscled legs and are designed to carry prey. I don't believe Parrots have comparable leg strength to make the Jesses safe for them.

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Agreed with Karen.. not good! Parrots do not have the leg strength of a bird of prey and should never have any kind of tether around their ankles... harness for a parrot, leash for a bird of prey.
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

The idea is interesting, but I'd be worried about the joints on a parrot holding up as well as musculature.
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

No, no and no.

Parrots legs are much thinner than the birds of prey these are used for

Did I say NOOOOOOOOOO?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hmmm, is your reasoning based on scientific research or just based on the fact that parrots legs look too skinny? Parrots are quite happy to hang upside down from one foot when they are playing.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

TAG, GW
    You don't hear about it much anymore but I'm sure a lot of the older experienced parrot owners will remember when people would tether their parrots to their stands or themselves causing all kinds of problems. The tether can cause legs to break, if they take off flying from being spooked or whatever it can also pull their leg right out of the socket. Over the years people have stopped practicing it because of all the dangers. It's a shame someone like him is trying to bring such an awful thing back.

8. The following user likes this post:

Karen (05-18-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Thanks Shyra, I did not know that. I am neither for nor against the use of Jesses at the moment apart from my belief that no bird should be unnecessarily restrained. Were the historical ones elasticated? I imagine the ones in the video (which I watched without having the sound on) are safer because they are like the elastic ropes used by bungy jumpers, gradually stopping rather than jerking. But what happens to a bird that is pulled up when trying to fly away? Does it keep flying whilst remaining stationary on the end of the tether or does it twang back to its perch leaving it surprised and confused?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Thanks Shyra, I did not know that. I am neither for nor against the use of Jesses at the moment apart from my belief that no bird should be unnecessarily restrained. Were the historical ones elasticated? I imagine the ones in the video (which I watched without having the sound on) are safer because they are like the elastic ropes used by bungy jumpers, gradually stopping rather than jerking. But what happens to a bird that is pulled up when trying to fly away? Does it keep flying whilst remaining stationary on the end of the tether or does it twang back to its perch leaving it surprised and confused?
    Good point

- - - Updated - - -

Good Point
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 05-18-2016 at 07:23 PM.

11. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-19-2016)

Banned

Interesting