User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do if your bird flys away

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Shyra - I had never heard the floor thing before. Thank you for sharing that.

Rosie is just now at 4 getting to the point that she doesn't crash into a wall when flying. She doesn't have all that much interest for the most part. But if she ever becomes a decent flier I am going to use your method with Harley of flying back to the cage. That is AWESOME!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-21-2016), Mare (05-20-2016)

Parrots

TAG, GW
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Shyra is your GW MACAW Clipped or just doesn't know how to fly / My Galah never flew even with all her flight feathers
    Gandalf was weaned in and stayed in a pet shop until he was 18 months old. He was never allowed to fledge so just doesn't have a clue. They kept him clipped from the day he tried to fly. When I brought him home he was scared of his own shadow and would jump at everything resulting in falling straight to the floor like a rock. The fact that he can now glide is a huge accomplishment. After 11 years with us, he still freaks out when he's on the floor. Oh and no he's never been clipped since he's been with me. He still spooks easily which activates his flight instinct but now he's learned to spread his wings, thank goodness, but that's the only time he does glide.

4. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (05-19-2016)

Parrots

TAG, GW
    Kendra, something else you might try teaching her is hot and cold. Since I have pellet stoves and my birds are allowed in the kitchen, they both know what hot and cold means. It also helps when I'm rushing and their food is a little too warm when I put it in their cages. I just tell them it's hot and they know to be very cautious. Harley is obsessed with cold, especially in the winter. Are you cold? Cold feet? I'm cold! It's cold, cold cold cold!! That's all we hear from her. When she steps onto me and my hands are cold, she'll also fuss you cold, cold. She doesn't say hot but she and Gandalf both know what it means.

Do you think she doesn't fly much because of the size of the rooms she's in? I've always wondered if that was one of the reasons Gandalf doesn't try to flap his wings when he takes off. My longest room is 24 foot. When you figure the cage comes out three feet and his playstand is in front of it (so he can reach it), then figure in his size there's not much space left to fly before hitting the wall.
    Last edited by Shyra; 05-19-2016 at 09:42 PM.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-19-2016), kendrafitz (05-19-2016), Mare (05-20-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Shyra View Post
    Kendra, something else you might try teaching her is hot and cold. Since I have pellet stoves and my birds are allowed in the kitchen, they both know what hot and cold means. It also helps when I'm rushing and their food is a little too warm when I put it in their cages. I just tell them it's hot and they know to be very cautious. Harley is obsessed with cold, especially in the winter. Are you cold? Cold feet? I'm cold! It's cold, cold cold cold!! That's all we hear from her. When she steps onto me and my hands are cold, she'll also fuss you cold, cold. She doesn't say hot but she and Gandalf both know what it means.
    That is so funny! I do talk to her about hot cold. Example, we have to wait to get in the shower, the water is too cold... brrr. Hot I usually say about food as well. But I am not sure how much she gets. I am going to make a conscious effort though. I already love Harley, sooo funny.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

8. The following user likes this post:

Shyra (05-21-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shyra View Post
    Gandalf was weaned in and stayed in a pet shop until he was 18 months old. He was never allowed to fledge so just doesn't have a clue. They kept him clipped from the day he tried to fly. When I brought him home he was scared of his own shadow and would jump at everything resulting in falling straight to the floor like a rock. The fact that he can now glide is a huge accomplishment. After 11 years with us, he still freaks out when he's on the floor. Oh and no he's never been clipped since he's been with me. He still spooks easily which activates his flight instinct but now he's learned to spread his wings, thank goodness, but that's the only time he does glide.
    Sounds like my Galah's past , Kiwi did the same as your Gandalf .

10. The following user likes this post:

Shyra (05-21-2016)

Banned

It's amazing how intelligent Birds are.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-21-2016), Shyra (05-21-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow, some great ideas here! You guys are awesome!

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    If my birds flew I'd have to scale the tree or stand by with a pellet gun while someone else scaled the tree..(often times for inside birds..they fly up and get scared and can't figure out how to come down ) and we have Hawks, ravens, and a family of owls, grey squirrels that kill birds.. especially birds that wouldn't run from them...i don't even want to think about it.

Our birds are getting strong enough to half way fly when clipped...so I don't even allow them outside without a harness..

15. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2016), Lady (05-21-2016), The Pinkertons (05-21-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Brandon, they do learn to fly down and believe it or not, I don't believe a hawk, owl, or rodent will snatch up your bird while you are screaming and making a scene on the ground to keep them away . I've done it and it WORKS!

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-22-2016), kendrafitz (05-22-2016)

Parrots

The hawks are pretty bold and not that concerned with humans here. When Bailey was a baby they decided she would make a great snack. They were stalking her, even with Jef and I outside waving a big stick. It was bad until Jef started throwing rocks in their direction. They finally flew off. I cannot stand them. We have two or three that constantly patrol our neighborhood. My vet said they have been known to swoop down and take birds, including macaws right off their owners shoulder. Which is why he discouraged me from using a harness or bringing her outside at all (unless in a travel cage). Ugh. Nasty hawks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

19. The following 3 users like this post:

94lt1 (05-23-2016), plax (05-23-2016), The Pinkertons (05-22-2016)