User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do if your bird flys away

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Humm, maybe we could teach them to use Zello. It's an app that is like a walkie talkie.

On the serious side, I was thinking about a chip like the ones they put under the skin of dogs. Wonder if that could be used for tracking? I think their called lo jac in cars?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    You can get your parrot chipped in the UK, What you have suggested sounds an excellent idea, depending on how big the chips used in cars are I should imagine the facility will be available for parrots eventually, if not sooner. Stand by, I'll see what I can find out.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-19-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Rosie has a chip. But hers needs to be scanned when she is found. No tracking abilities. Would be awesome if they are available.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

5. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-19-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Here we go: http://www.tracer-microchips.co.uk/
    Bayer is a huge international medical company, not some fly-by-night start-up operation.
    Google is your friend
    Edit/ this is not a tracker just a microchip with a misleading name. I'll carry on searching.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 05-18-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-19-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow who knew that the UK government is expecting all dogs to be chipped and registered by the time they are 8 weeks old. I wonder what happens to those who are not? Don't think it will be good. I hope it helps the dogs to be found if lost.
    The site you posted does show pics of parrots too. But like Kendra mentioned, Rosie has a chip but has to be scanned in order to know who she belongs to so I'm thinking maybe we don't have a tracking system for them yet. I haven't begun to look but I will be searching myself and keeping an eye out for it as I'm sure someone will make it possible.

Thanks for searching Jean-Pierre, I'll do some searching too over the weekend.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    A tracking chip/circuit may not be such a good idea. While they're becoming smaller, tracking chips are actually miniature radio transmitters and they thus emit RF energy (Radio Frequency waves). Unlike the implanted inert identifications chips (such as the ones Rosie and Zaf have), which only resonate when scanned by a near field RF signal of the correct frequency, tracking chips transmit a continuous pulsed signal. And since they are essentially self-contained radio transmitters, each requires a power source (such as a battery) which takes space and adds extra weight. These things are available for children and elderly folks -one company places their device within the sole of a shoe- but I'm not sure I would want one of them implanted in my bird's flesh.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-21-2016), Macaw Lover (05-22-2016)

Parrots

Just so you can get an idea on size for the current technology, here's an image of the shoe sole tracking circuit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gtxo_smart_sole.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	4108

It requires periodic charging. And as you can see, the package is much too large for a bird. Beyond those precluding factors, I wouldn't want a continuous RF signal flooding my bird from within. I don't think we're there yet

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-19-2016), kendrafitz (05-19-2016)

Parrots

TAG, GW
    Another thing to do as a precaution is to teach your bird to fly down to the floor. I've always been told that's not instinctual for our birds to fly down that it has to be learned which is why parrots stay in trees even when they want to come down. I would think it would come natural but apparently not.

One thing I have taught my grey is to fly back to her cage when the back door opens. She knows if she is flying towards me that if I put my had up flat palmed toward her and say No that she needs to get to her cage fast. I only do that if I'm by one of the outside doors though so I don't confuse her to where she'll think it's not important to get to her cage. I know it's not a full proof solution but there's been a time or two that my husband has opened the back door without checking to see where she was at so was grateful she didn't keep flying in that direction. There are days I'm glad my gw doesn't know how to fly. He just glides about 6 feet then drops like a rock.

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-19-2016), kendrafitz (05-19-2016), Lady (05-21-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Shyra View Post
    Another thing to do as a precaution is to teach your bird to fly down to the floor. I've always been told that's not instinctual for our birds to fly down that it has to be learned which is why parrots stay in trees even when they want to come down. I would think it would come natural but apparently not.
    I think it's natural for many birds to avoid doing that because in the wild each time they land on the ground they become an accessible target for predators. They are typically safest when atop the highest objects. The only real flyer I have among my 4 is Zaf. But he never flies to the floor... instead he persistently climbs down to the floor. He's actually obsessed with doing so

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-19-2016), kendrafitz (05-19-2016), Shyra (05-19-2016)

Banned

Shyra is your GW MACAW Clipped or just doesn't know how to fly / My Galah never flew even with all her flight feathers