User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do if your bird flys away

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

What to do if your bird flys away

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking... do we know what to do if our bird should somehow fly away by accident. A loud noise or whatever. What would you do? I know some of us have had such an experience so maybe we can help others by telling how we dealt with it or even post some links that have more information. This is a link I found and although I don't have first hand experience I hope it is helpful.

http://www.birdhotline.com/findlost.htm

https://www.parrotalert.com/
    Last edited by Lady; 05-14-2016 at 02:15 AM. Reason: another link

2. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-16-2016), Mare (05-14-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Alice, those are very informative sites, I don't know what more I could add. Amigo being a free flyer in his younger days/learning to free fly days..flew across the valley where I could barely see this little white speck. I thought the backpack was going to be brought out, for my water bottles, I thought I was going to have to do the "trek" to go get him.

What saved us was our contact call. Having a call that your bird knows is super important.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-14-2016), Shyra (05-19-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Great info Mare,
    So one should teach a contact call, you have proven it to be helpful.
    Thanks

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-14-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    You're welcome, Alice . I'm not familiar with other species of birds but cockatoo's are/mine are, very vocal. When Amigo is patrolling the property he is squawking his whole flight. When he was this itty-bitty speck across the valley..he was squawking and I squawked back, it's what brought him home.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-16-2016), Lady (05-16-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    There is a clip on U-tube of a pair of amazons free flying in Spain shouting Ola Ola (Hello Hello). It must be confusing for people who don't know what is going on.

Caspers calling cry is
    erh-erh-EURGH
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-16-2016), Lady (05-16-2016), Mare (05-16-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I have to pay closer attention to Lady, she seems to have many calls. When she is in my view she bounces up and down but calls at the same time. Her pitch is pretty much the same so it is difficult for me to tell just from her voice.

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-16-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I'm not sure if most folks do this but when I'm not in the same room with my bird and he/or she calls to me..I call back with the same "contact" noise. If I'm outside and hear Sassy inside the house, calling..I'll call back. There is NO way I could duplicate her pterodactyl call but I DO call her back, so, she recognizes my call.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-17-2016), Lady (05-17-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    I am considering using Nash's old cage for his outdoor cage this summer, and although I trust it, him being outside and flighted still worries me. The contact call is a good one! Nash has learned how to mimic me saying " wee-ooo-eeww" really fast so I think I would do that... There are many birds of prey in our area and he is very small so I would be worried about that.. Too many trees!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-17-2016), Mare (05-17-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I phones have tracking inbuilt I believe, so you can find out where your phone is if lost of stolen. So, equip your bird with one... and if you can teach it to use skype you can ask it what time it is coming home
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

18. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-18-2016), kendrafitz (05-18-2016), Lady (05-17-2016), lolsavannahh (05-18-2016), Mare (05-17-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Jean-Pierre..thanks for my 1st smile of the day!!

20. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-18-2016)