User Tag List

Thread: Companion Bird Pelleted Diet Ingredients List Comparison

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

Companion Bird Pelleted Diet Ingredients List Comparison

Below are the listed ingredients for some of the major companion bird pellet brands. This information is posted in an article on another bird forum site. Hopefully it may serve us to make wiser pelleted diet decisions for our birds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pellet_ingredients_1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	4087

Name:	pellet_ingredients_2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	4094

Name:	pellet_ingredients_3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	4093

Name:	pellet_ingredients_4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	4095

Name:	pellet_ingredients_5.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	4096
    The image content is from "Parrot Pellet Comparison Made Easy!" at URL: http://www.africangreyparrotcentre.co.uk/parrot-articles/parrot-pellet-comparison-made-easy/

EDIT:
    The ingredients lists above were apparently compiled in 2010. I notice that the current ingredients list supplied on Zupreem Natural packaging shows Menadione sodium bisulfite complex as its Vitamin K source. Whereas it listed Vitamin K supplement on the older packaging - which is likely the same substance that has been specified more clearly on the newer packaging as Menadione sodium bisulfite complex. This is not comforting news because Menadione has been reported to promote liver cancer among test subjects in some studies. It is at the very least controversial.

2. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-13-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Interesting reading, Casper has Harrison's Lifetime as his main diet (as recommended by his vet) and he gets a Lafebre Nutriberry a day as a treat but even though they can be used as a complete diet they do not appear on Irina's list.
    I might get him a small bag of Totally Organics to give him a bit of variety next time we put an order in and see if he likes it. Hopefully by the time we are ready to order our supplier will have removed this notice about their stock: Please note: The expiry date of this product is 30 April 2015
    Thanks for posting the information Tony.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Interesting reading, Casper has Harrison's Lifetime as his main diet (as recommended by his vet) and he gets a Lafebre Nutriberry a day as a treat but even though they can be used as a complete diet they do not appear on Irina's list.
    I might get him a small bag of Totally Organics to give him a bit of variety next time we put an order in and see if he likes it. Hopefully by the time we are ready to order our supplier will have removed this notice about their stock: Please note: The expiry date of this product is 30 April 2015
    Thanks for posting the information Tony.
    You're welcome, Jean-Pierre. Hopefully the TOP item will have been restocked with fresh product once you're ready to order.

Everyone: Please see the edit note I've added to the original post concerning the presence of Menadione in Zupreem Natural pellets.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Great information here. Certainly give me a good reason to go with Totally Organic over Harrison's. Thanks Tony.

6. The following user likes this post:

plax (05-14-2016)

We can't get TOPs here, so I'll be sticking to my Harrison's/RB combo. I find it bizarre that sugar is an added ingredient.

I did also notice that some things highlighted in green in some ingredient lists, haven't been in others.

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLovebird View Post
    I did also notice that some things highlighted in green in some ingredient lists, haven't been in others.
    The author missed some highlighting on some of the lists. The Roudybush Maintenance Crumble isn't even background-highlighted in blue as the other recommended pellet brands are. Also, the asterisks (indicating organic ingredients) are missing from the Harrison's lists. I could have photoshop'd corrections for the inconsistencies and errors, but since it's not my article I opted to post the images in their original state. These things are good to point out, though. Thanks!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Great information here. Certainly give me a good reason to go with Totally Organic over Harrison's. Thanks Tony.
    Please let us know your opinion of TOP and of course what Kobe and Tango have to say.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I have fed TOPS before and found what they are calling the small size to not small enough for parakeet sized birds. I put a question to consumers last night on Amazon and its funny they suggested what I am feeding now Harrisons extra fine. In addition to this I send an inquiry into the TOPS people. So it looks like I have no choice but to stay with the corn based Harrisons.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 05-14-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Parrots

More info on their product range here http://topsparrotfood.com/
    It might be worth sending them your views through their "contact us"

Edit: Ah, I see you have already done that!

Further thought: what about giving it a quick wizz in a food processor or coffee grinder (remove all coffee first, naturally)?
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 05-14-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Its confusing because they have a bag of "pellets" for small birds and then a bag of "crumplets" for small birds. I truly think they are the same thing. This bag does not say "crumplets" which are supposed to be the smallest size. Yet it shows a parakeet on the front????

Name:	91U-l1SXh2L__SY606_.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	4097
    Last edited by spiritbird; 05-14-2016 at 04:56 PM.