User Tag List

Thread: Jimmy & Iris

Parrots

Jimmy- lovebird Iris- lovebird

Jimmy & Iris

Hello guys my name is Tony and I'm new to this forum. I currently have 2 lovebirds, Jimmy he is 3 months old and Iris shes about 5-6 months old. They have been pretty quiet so far which I did not expect. They eat and drink normally. But they mostly eat the white seeds from the mix the pet store provided me with. Also I have them in a vision cage that is 24x12x12. Iris interacts more with the toys than Jimmy does but they both look pretty healthy. I'm just concerned about how quiet they are. I got Jimmy about 8 days ago and then Iris about 2 days ago. I used to own cockatiels for 2-3 years till I had to give them away. I just want to know what I could do to improve my lovebirds lives. Please and thank you!

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-24-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your two new birds. For starters, they will probably be quiet because they are in a new place and not sure if it’s safe. Next, they are new to each other. They are going to have to learn to be with a new friend. You will be new to them as well. They probably will need at least two to four weeks to settle in.
    Colourful toys will help them to get interested in exploring.
    Seed is a poor diet for any parrot. Can you find some pellets to transition them to. As well, it is really important to give them fresh veggies and fruit to round out their diet.
    I am guessing they just need some time to adjust.

Parrots

Thank you so much for your advice they are doing quite well, I bought them a cage thats 30L x 18 W x 18 H. Im not sure if thats to small for them. So far I've been mixing the seed mix with the ROUDYBUSH mini pellets. But so far they only seem to be interested in the seeds and sunflower seeds as well. They like pick out their food. I also got them millet seeds too. Should I just completely start feeding them the mini pellets instead of the seed mix? Im just scared they wont eat the pellets and will starve. I also tried giving them grapes, apples, strawberrys but they dont seem interested in them. How do I get them to be more interested in them? sorry for the very late reply I just forgot my password and I finally got to recover it today.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-05-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    A lot of birds have issues with changing over to pellets and you are correct in not taking away the seeds. You can try fruit blend Zupreem. You can also grind the pellets and mix it with the seeds. As to the fruit and veggies, try chopping them very fine and sprinkling some seed on top to see if they will pick at the seed and potentially tasting the fruit/veggies. It’s a work in progress to get birds onto a healthy diet if they haven’t been abundance weaned.
    How is the settling/taming coming along?

Parrots

I currently have them on Vita Seed Natural Blend. So I’ll try to do what you told me and crush the pellets a little bit and see if they take it. I also tried what you told me and sprinkled some seeds onto cut up strawberry. So hopefully they take it. As of training and settling in. They are very docile, they stay on the little playground for most of the day out of their cage and at night they go back into their cage. They are still scared of me. Every time I try and pick them up they run away from me. Iris the female bites me. While Jimmy he’s more friendly towards me. Any tips on how I can get them to be more friendly with me? I knew that getting them as a pair it would be hard for them to accept me. Because that’s just how their behavior is. But I have seen occasions where they could be tamed even if they are paired up.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-06-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I would use their favourite food/treat (maybe a sprig of millet) to bribe them to come closer. Only use that treat for training. Another training method is clicker training. There are lots of videos showing how to do this. If you have a way to separate them, it is easier to train them one at a time. Training should only be a few minutes at a time. I would just focus on the male for now.
    I have a couple of birds that aren’t hand tamed and I just let them fly around and sit with me if they wish. One of them loves to watch games I play on the iPad.
    Hopefully they will settle and become friendlier.