User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Such a scary thought..

Even if you ultimately let Sassy fly free, if it were me, I'd start with a bird harness or outdoor aviary of some sort, just in case her little mind is blown and she panics. Smart, silly, human or avian, we all can be thrown off by panic. That way if she's fine with it, and that's what makes you and her happy all is good. If she freaks, you have a lifeline, and then you can decide if you want to condition her to the outdoor world or just let her stay an indoor (or mostly indoor) bird.
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (05-05-2016), PlaxMacaws (05-05-2016), The Pinkertons (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Clipping sassy won't keep her from flying far, I learned that lesson with Bentley. Especially if she catches an up-current . Now you have a bird that can't get off the ground once the current dies off ,. that's worse than a fully flighted bird, that at least has a chance to possibly return home before the hawks have her for dinner. Just say' n .

These cockatoos are very vocal, as I'm sure you know, Suzanne . Our birds let us know where they are. When I was first flying Amigo, he had no knowledge of how to get from point A to point B. He sure did know how to contact me, though! I don't want you all to worry about this, have some faith..I sure do! Shut up,,Eeyore..

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I also hope for the best.
    The phrase "hope for the best" in and of itself implies doubt.

I absolutely think positive with everything I do in life. This doesn't mean all will go well but it definitely gives me a good attitude.
    Again, you've made a statement expressing some degree of doubt.

I know the sleepless nights of wondering if I'm doing right by my bird.
    Again, an expression of doubt.

If I thought they couldn't handle it, it wouldn't be happening.
    Thinking something will be a certain way cannot provide an inkling of assurance. What may or may not happen will actually be out of your control if you proceed with the process.

Sassy was one that I thought was too much of a basket case for me to ever think about allowing this! Times have changed and I now want to try her out.
    The phrase "try her out" implies uncertainty (i.e., a degree of doubt).

Trust me, or not.
    I trust your intentions, Mare. But I also know that you alone don't possess the power to fully control the situation you're possibly going to create
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-05-2016), Mare (05-05-2016), The Pinkertons (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Even if you ultimately let Sassy fly free, if it were me, I'd start with a bird harness or outdoor aviary of some sort, just in case her little mind is blown and she panics. Smart, silly, human or avian, we all can be thrown off by panic. That way if she's fine with it, and that's what makes you and her happy all is good. If she freaks, you have a lifeline, and then you can decide if you want to condition her to the outdoor world or just let her stay an indoor (or mostly indoor) bird.
    You are so right, Penny. If I could get a harness on the little bugger, that might happen . Sassy is Tim's mate , (my hubs) and we have been discussing doing this with Sassy. It wouldn't ever be tried without Tim being there and we would start out the same way we started out with Amigo.

7. The following user likes this post:

Penny (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Tony..I have doubts GALORE!! The two things that I have going for me is knowing I am brave and,, I know my birds. Don't worry, nothing's going to happen, yet. I've just been fishing for some feedback

Thanks!

Parrots

Tony..I have doubts GALORE!! The two things that I have going for me is knowing I am brave and,, I know my birds. Don't worry, nothing's going to happen, yet. I've just been fishing for some feedback

Thanks!
    But you are being "brave" not in the face of a danger that threatens your own health and safety... but instead in the face of a danger that threatens a small sentient being who has no choice in the matter. I don't think that should be called "brave". Persistent and tenacious perhaps. But not brave. Optimism is not the same as realism!

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-05-2016), Mare (05-05-2016), The Pinkertons (05-05-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper isn't a great flyer, whether this is due to a healed up broken wing bone or just natural disinclination I am not sure. So we are able to take him outside on our shoulder and he loves to do that. We put him on his branch in the Magnolia tree and he just stays there whittling, pruning and preening and watching the wild birds all around. It is hard to relax in case he suddenly spooks but he has only done that once at a garden party and he only flew a few feet before landing and walking back - see, I said he doesn't fly much.
    So, that is Casper, what about Sassy girl? Would she stay on a shoulder? Would she fly between you and Tim when called (best tried indoors first). If you can get her to come when called it could be so much easier.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-05-2016), The Pinkertons (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I suppose you could insert "stupid" in the place of "brave" . I would have to call it brave, though. I've said this before and will stand by it..if I had belonged to a forum when starting to free fly Amigo, it wouldn't have happened. It wouldn't have happened because folks would have tried to talk sense into me and then foster doubt in my mind. No worries..I'm no longer feeling so brave

Parrots

Mare: Sometimes a conversion of one's ideals into reality is neither practical nor safe . If you want to fly Sassy outside, you might do well to consider the safer -albeit slower- method of reaching that point (i.e., indoor flight area sessions with recall conditioning). Harness training is also an option. No one here has been trying to burst your bubble (as it were)... we just don't want to see you unnecessarily place Sassy at risk, and perhaps lose her.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-05-2016), The Pinkertons (05-07-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Wow!! You have blown my mind away Will she recall in the house with Tim? Strap a tracking device to her.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-05-2016), Penny (05-07-2016), The Pinkertons (05-07-2016)