User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Such a scary thought..

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Such a scary thought..

I'm thinking about flying Sassy outside without having Amigo being present. Amigo would ruin the flight and most likely scare her far away. A scary thought but a thought that has relevance..

Any input would be appreciated.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    In my opinion you shouldn't chance it. Normally you can't just release a bird outside (without leading up to it over time with appropriate conditioning) and expect that the bird will not fly away. If you decide to allow Sassy freedom outside, you should prepare yourself for the possibility that she may become overwhelmed or startled and launch into a panic flight traveling far away from your home, and that you may never see her again. In other words, if you do it you may deeply regret it for the rest of your life.

The first encounter a captive bird has with outdoor freedom is the most likely to result in loss of the bird. So again, my vote is no.

If you really want to fly Sassy outside, you should begin with recall training in a very large enclosed building and work progressively from there. Amigo is a special situation and I don't think it's reasonable to expect that other birds will duplicate his inclinations, his progress, or his dependability in similar fashion.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-05-2016), Mare (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Are you going to harness train?

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-05-2016), Penny (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    What I'm thinking is giving her a slight clip and beginning like we did with Amigo. No harness training, Sassy is totally devoted to Tim and I know this isn't guaranteed but devotion to their person is an amazing queue. I'm not yet full on going for this, don't worry, Tony.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    What I'm thinking is giving her a slight clip and beginning like we did with Amigo. No harness training, Sassy is totally devoted to Tim and I know this isn't guaranteed but devotion to their person is an amazing queue. I'm not yet full on going for this, don't worry, Tony.
    A "slight" clip may, or may not be enough. Here's the way I see it, Mare: With Amigo, you felt that you had no choice... whereas with Sassy, you DON'T have to take the risk. At least I'm guessing that you don't.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy can be a total idiot but who wouldn't be in her situation? If I were born to be wild and you locked me in a cage/house and expected me to be "normal"..?.. I would be asking questions! Birds are intelligent.

10. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Tony, you're right, I don't have to take that "risk". Life is a risk and we, as humans, take it. Our birds are in our hands.

Parrots

Tony, you're right, I don't have to take that "risk". Life is a risk and we, as humans, take it. Our birds are in our hands.
    You've combined a few things there, Mare. And on top of that you've made a general statement. In my opinion, it's not logical to hold the blanket view that since nearly everything we do presents some degree of risk, we should not make effort to avoid creating additional risks in our lives. The reason I see said view as illogical, is: 1) We absolutely have the power to preclude certain risks! And 2) certain risks present a greater likelihood of catastrophe than do others! That is to say, all risks do not have an equal chance of producing accidents. Reality holds that there is greater probability certain things will occur given certain circumstances.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-05-2016), Mare (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I love your views, Tony. Mine are just a bit skewed differently.

15. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-05-2016)

Banned

I love your views, Tony. Mine are just a bit skewed differently.
    Ok so here goes I 'll stick my 2 cents in ... My birds are Captive yet they are not idiots, every creature has their own personality, IMHO your over thinking this scenario , especially when you watch videos of wild flocks of Little corellas. I do the same things from time to time, with my birds, especially when I look up at the sky on a beautiful day watching the birds soar, but I also have to realize my birds were not born in the wild they do not have the flock dynamics imprinted. I know I would be putting them in harms way if I set them free to fly in the wild blue yonder, just to ease my own guilt. I even entertain the idea, fly to Australia and set them free with the rest of their species. would they survive I doubt it .

17. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-05-2016), Dragonlady2 (05-05-2016), Mare (05-05-2016), PlaxMacaws (05-05-2016)