User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Birds Growl?

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Do Birds Growl?

So Charlie made this noise and it sounded like a growl. He has actually made it a couple of times now. The noise comes when he is investigating something new or he seems to want something (I think).

When I heard it this afternoon he was stepping off my lap onto the couch next to my youngest son. He wasn't upset he was inquisitive as to what the chip bag was that my son was holding.

I am interested to know if they do growl and why.

Thanks for any information.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I have read that birds can growl. I've never heard it from mine. Sounds to me like Charlie is voicing concern over something he was unsure of. They will also growl aggressively, I suppose for the same reason a dog would.

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    I have heard mine hiss, but never growl.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Oh yes some species do growl. I believe cockatiels and toos do this. My former African Grey growled big time! She seemed to do it when she was faced with an uncomfortable situation or a new person was too close to her. She never growled at me though.

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Nash seems to 'growl' when he's having a little too much fun if you know what I mean......
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    I would be careful around your son.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Kiki growled on occasion, but it was usually to get the dog to come over to her cage so she could throw food at her. She was kind of incorrigible about tossing her food to the dog...
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    My lovebirds make a deep clicking noise at times the parakeets just make a what I call a magic marker type squeeky chatter....

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    I have definitely heard Charlie hiss, he does this when he is frightened or when something surprises him. This sound is something of a growl but he is not doing it aggressively, he does it when he is curious about something. Yesterday it was the chip bag that my son had.

Charlie has never been aggressive toward any of us. He gets excited when the boys get home from school and he is happiest when we are all together. I was just curious as to what the noise could possibly be.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-03-2016), spiritbird (05-03-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-03-2016), Mare (05-03-2016)