User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More eggs!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

More eggs!

Chip and Jellybean have been searching for a nest spot in the bird room. They were starting to seem desperate so I hooked them up with a nest box. I hung it up yesterday and there is already one egg laid!

I really don't want Jellybean to be harmed by laying, this will be her second clutch this season. Does anyone know, would she still be laying even if I separated her from Chip?

I'll post a pic of the box as soon as my photobucket relaxes

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    She may lay more about every second day. I suggest you let them both go through the process because the male will participate and feed the female while she is on the eggs and will also feed the babies. If you want to separate them after this clutch is weaned that would be the time. They will not be very happy birds if apart because they are now bonded to each other. Of course I am not a breeder like Cedar Dave but I have done lots of research.

I believe a member gave you this link http://www.cockatielcottage.net/breeding.html
    Its about the best on the web for first hand information. Have you read the books you purchased?

Is there a quiet room for them? Both the parents and chicks will be better off not being in a room with noisy other birds.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 04-30-2016 at 11:15 PM.

3. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-30-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thanks, Dianne, yes I've been reading the books and I have read what you just posted, before. It just seems too soon for them to be having more eggs. I now know why Chip has been overly aggressive.

5. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (05-01-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    She must have been flying around with her legs crossed, wondering when you were going to put that box up.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-01-2016)

That seems like it would be a drain on her calcium, but they sure seem to have a desire to hatch some little ones!
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-01-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Penny, Jellybean is a good little eater, she loves her greens and she makes good use of the cuttlebone, so, I'm hoping she's getting enough calcium. She is young, though, and this more than anything is what concerns me.

We now have two eggs. I haven't ordered the dummy eggs, yet. I'll let them have one more go at trying to hatch some out but I really don't want her to continue having clutches throughout the summer. I'll have the eggs on hand, just in case, if I need to I'll give them a try.

Here is a pic of their nest box. I ordered it off Amazon and it is the size made specially for cockatiels. Chip is peeking out the hole. I hung it in a cubby area of the room where Sassy can't see it . Dianne, I still have them in the same room as the other birds and with Amigo outside most days, the noise level hasn't been too bad.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-07-2016), Penny (05-03-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    That box looks perfect. Here's hoping for a few healthy chicks.

13. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-03-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Jellybean is out of the nest box, eating and just hanging out. I'm learning that she may have another egg in her chest area, it's more pronounced than normal. There may be one more egg tomorrow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Jellybean is out of the nest box, eating and just hanging out. I'm learning that she may have another egg in her chest area, it's more pronounced than normal. There may be one more egg tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed all goes well this time

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (05-03-2016), Penny (05-03-2016), spiritbird (05-03-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thank you, Suzanne I hope so, also!