User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Towelling

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    One would think that Amigo's nails would never need trimming the way he crawls around in the rough skinned oak trees all day. I've discovered that all that does is SHARPEN them! They continue to get long but needle sharp.
    In the natural environment a parrot's routine daily behaviors should keep its nails quite sharp. That sharpness is essential for its activities (climbing, grasping, etc.). At the same time, keeping nails sharp should as well keep their length in check. It's like whittling the end of a stake to become pointed... it shortens it. The main reason captive parrots need their claws blunted is so we are able to handle them without having our skin breached by the tips.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-27-2016), Lady (04-30-2016), Mare (04-27-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Yeah, I've noticed, Tony . Amigo's don't get out of control long, they do whittle down just not to the point of a caged bird. Every time I have him at the vet she comments on his nails being ALLLMOST too long. I figure he does need them for gripping.

4. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-27-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    My vet (avian) instructed me to never use a pedi perch of any kind. They are too rough for the bottom of a bird's feet. So if one is using these type of perches I suggest you do a periodic inspection of the feet.
    I check Charlies feet every day. He has one sand perch, one rope perch, a branch perch and a dowel rod perch although that is on it's last leg (no pun intended) due to Mr. Busybeak chewing on it so that is on the list of things to get.

My husband also made 2 play gyms for him that are made out of PVC pipe with vet wrap on them. Husband is useful.....sometimes

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-18-2016), Mare (04-29-2016), spiritbird (04-27-2016)

Parrots

Yellow shouldered Amazon, Salty
    I put one of those concrete shelves in Saltys cage and that seems to have done the trick with his nails, cuz they used to be razor sharp. He will not perch on a cement or sand perch, so this was an ideal solution. I have the shelf right inside the opening of the door, so he has to stand on it in order to get out.
    HI , I am Salty, a yellow shouldered Amazon, hatched June 15, 2015. I will be a pirate someday, just like my daddy!

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-28-2016), kendrafitz (04-27-2016), Mare (04-29-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I remember useful, sometimes.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Albert that isn't going to work with Amigo - http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...the-looong-way!
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-29-2016)