User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towelling

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Do you have a dremel? You would have to get Casper used to the noise first.

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-26-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    At first, I thought you were suggesting I use a dremel to do his beak and was imagining putting his head in the workshop vice to hold it still

I would imagine that it would be very easy to slip with a machine tool and possibly hurt his toes as he does tend to curl his foot into a ball whenever you touch them. I feel a lot happier with the clippers, they are much safer and he doesn't really mind them. I think he just has ticklish feet (like me).
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 04-26-2016 at 11:39 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-27-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    At first, I thought you were suggesting I use a dremel to do his beak and was imagining putting his head in the workshop vice to hold it still

I would imagine that it would be very easy to slip with a machine tool and possibly hurt his toes as he does tend to curl his foot into a ball whenever you touch them. I feel a lot happier with the clippers, they are much safer and he doesn't really mind them. I think he just has ticklish feet (like me).
    Notice how they have the Bird pinned down in a choke hold ,, prying the toes open. Amazing how strong they can be.

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-27-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    OUCH Jean-Pierre, I know that hurt!

I too am lucky that Lady doesn't require trims. It is either because of the perch or her tending to them as well. She doesn't like her feet touched much either. I have been working on this issue myself with touching them when I have a pine nut in my hand and so far I have not been bitten.

All I can think of is to make sure to put a branch or perch in his feet before he curls them up. If he has something to take hold of them maybe you could snip them while he is holding onto the branch. I wonder if he would enjoy a foot rub using organic coconut oil, once you already have him toweled of course. It would also help release his grip, maybe?? It might be best if Margaret does the foot rub as it will make holding the trimmers difficult.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-27-2016), Mare (04-27-2016)

Banned

Lady that's a great idea I must try that next time

10. The following user likes this post:

Lady (04-30-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Lady that's a great idea I must try that next time
    I'll give it a go as well.

Margaret gets to operate the clippers whilst I am keeping the bighty end busy. I must learn to delegate better.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-27-2016), Lady (04-30-2016), Mare (04-27-2016), mdg1109 (04-27-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Unfortunately I have no advice to offer. I also have sand perches that have seemed to keep Charlies toes filed. If I had to try a way I would try a nail file to file them down. Charlie is used to the towel because he loves to be wrapped up after his bath and snuggle. As for his beak I will let the vet handle that.

I hope your finger heals soon!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    My vet (avian) instructed me to never use a pedi perch of any kind. They are too rough for the bottom of a bird's feet. So if one is using these type of perches I suggest you do a periodic inspection of the feet.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-27-2016), Mare (04-27-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Agreed Dianne. If a bird is on a pedi perch the majority of the time I can see it being problematic. Rosie spends most of her time on her java stand, regular stand or me. She has rope, heated, java and sand perches in her cage. I do check her feet and it is a great idea to do so.
    Rosie & Kendra

17. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-27-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    One would think that Amigo's nails would never need trimming the way he crawls around in the rough skinned oak trees all day. I've discovered that all that does is SHARPEN them! They continue to get long but needle sharp.