User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does the crest mean?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

What does the crest mean?

What's it announce..why is it there..can you read it?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    My iPad is messing with me, I meant for this to read.. "what DOES the crest mean"

Fixed - plax

3. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (04-20-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    The crest as in a birds crest?

Wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_%28feathers%29

Crests on birds are generally used for display purposes. Cockatoos and their smaller cousins, cockatiels, are part of the Cacatuidae family of parrots found in Australia, the Bismarck Archipelago and the Philippines, and are probably the most recognizable birds to feature crests.[1] Cockatoos and cockatiels possess crests which may be raised or lowered at will. Their crests are used to communicate with fellow members of their species, or as a form of defense to frighten away other species that approach too closely, making the bird appear larger when the crest is suddenly and unexpectedly raised.[2] Crests can be recumbent or recursive, depending on the species.[3] The recumbent crest has feathers that are straight and lie down essentially flat on the head until the bird fans them out to where they stand up. The white cockatoo, for example, possesses a recumbent crest.[4] The recursive crest is noticeable even when it is not fanned out because it features feathers, that, when lying down, curve upward at the tips, and when standing up, often bend slightly forward toward the front of the head. Many recursive crests also feature brilliant colors. The sulphur-crested cockatoo has a recursive crest, and the Major Mitchell's cockatoo (also known as the Leadbeater's cockatoo) possesses a prominent recursive crest.[5] Some birds, like the galah, or rose-breasted cockatoo, have modified crests, which has features of both recumbent and recursive types.[6]

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (04-21-2016), spiritbird (04-20-2016), The Pinkertons (04-22-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Charlie stands his crest up when he is curious, when he is trying to make himself look bigger and when he is being silly.

Thank you for posting the link Suzanne, interesting to learn more about our fids!

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (04-23-2016), Mare (04-21-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    All of the above! Plus it's a built-in war bonnet . I think when a bird raises its crest it's analogous to when we humans raise our eyebrows. Similar emotions seem to be represented by each of those actions.

Michelle: I believe it was Alice who posted the link
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (04-23-2016), Mare (04-21-2016), The Pinkertons (04-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thank you for that link, Alice! Great info . I believe that birds without crests still give some sign with their head feathers..is this true?.. The birds that are eye pinners are super scary to me and when they do THAT, I KNOW, something's going on!!

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (04-23-2016), The Pinkertons (04-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    I find my Toos crest goes up when their curious ,happy ,excited . My Hawkheads crest only goes up when shes fearful. The eye pinning at my house means different things for different species. Happy and excited ,the Ekkies and Macaws . Who to look out for ,the Caiques and Zons
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (04-23-2016), Mare (04-22-2016), The Pinkertons (04-22-2016)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    The next thing you feel when Nike raises her crest and you don't back off is pain. She seldom raises it for any other reason than to attack.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (04-23-2016), Mare (04-22-2016), The Pinkertons (04-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkbirdy View Post
    I find my Toos crest goes up when their curious ,happy ,excited . My Hawkheads crest only goes up when shes fearful. The eye pinning at my house means different things for different species. Happy and excited ,the Ekkies and Macaws . Who to look out for ,the Caiques and Zons

Terri! I really miss not having you and your "house" around more! I'm still not sold on the eye pinners, though.
    Last edited by Mare; 04-22-2016 at 04:50 AM.

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Pinkbirdy (04-23-2016), The Pinkertons (04-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    The next thing you feel when Nike raises her crest and you don't back off is pain. She seldom raises it for any other reason than to attack.
    Being able to read their signs is a great gift, Bill, as I'm sure you now realize