User Tag List

Thread: Facebook Components Loading Question

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

Facebook Components Loading Question

Whenever a page loads I have to wait while the facebook feature installs itself which is annoying because I don't do facebook. Is there any way I can switch it off?
    I am just an old fashioned bloke and the forum itself is all I need.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (04-17-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Jean-Pierre: Unfortunately, the short answer is no. But I'll try and explain a bit about what's going on.

There are two FB components. One is the FB slider. It will load simultaneously with every PP page. Its load time should be a nonissue though, since the only symptom when it's not fully loaded will be that your browser's progress indicator will continue to cycle/spin until the load completes. The rest of each PP page should function normally, though... and besides that, most of the time the loading process for the slider should complete relatively quickly.

The next FB component is the 'Like this thread button'. I'm guessing that it is what you are noticing that has been annoying you. The 'Like this thread button' is the FB button that appears at the top of each thread under the thread title which is directly under the large Reply to Thread button on the top left side. It should pop into place approximately 5 to 10 seconds after any given PP showthread page has finished loading. Its delay is far more noticeable than that of the slider, simply because it tends to make the page jump slightly once its loading stage has completed. The reason it won't load faster is largely because FB uses https (SSL) for all pages as a security measure. The encryption/decryption process entailed in loading https pages takes a bit of time to complete, hence the delay you notice each time our website connects with theirs.

Also, if your connection to FB's server has a longer route path than your connection to PP's server, that may increase the load time for the FB components even further. Have you noticed any variation in this "annoying delay" you have mentioned? That is, do the FB page components load quicker at certain times than others? If so, it likely has to do with said route path to FB at the particular moment (i.e., the number of hops and the path's overall quality).

Having stated the above, I can only apologize that there's no way for you to selectively turn off FB on PP's pages
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    OK, thanks for the explanation. I can do patience.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following user likes this post:

plax (04-17-2016)