User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smell

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Question Smell

This may seem like a strange question but I was wondering if anyone has ever noticed when their birds smell is off? Rosie and I were preening today and she smelled different. Kind of stinky, which is weird bc she showers daily and had a complete soaking yesterday. She normally smells sweetish or musky, but this was just different. I was wondering if the smell is an indicator of something being wrong health wise? Before I get crazy and call the vet for no reason, I wanted to check with you guys. There would be no other reason for me to call as she is acting normally and is as bossy as ever. She is blow drying on her tree now, so I will see if she smells differently when she is done.

I know it is ridiculous and only a bird group would get this. Anyone else would wonder why the heck I sniff my macaw. But it is just worrying me.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I love the way Casper smells, kinda sweet deja-sniffed but unplaceable. Have a sniff of a glass of tapwater, they have been known to put too much chemical in.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (04-10-2016)

Parrots

I don't smell anything, but yesterdays water may have smelled different?
    Rosie & Kendra

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I have noticed variations in the scent emitted from my guys. Also, I've discovered that said scent appears to change slightly as they age - or perhaps it's my perception of the scent that changes as I age... I'm unsure which. One question I would have for you, Kendra, is whether Rosie's *new* aroma may be at least in part originating from her breath? Might she be regurging a new flavor (as it were)? Just a thought.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    I don't know the answer, this is a legitimate question. Do they give off a different scent during mating season?

My sniffer doesn't work as well as most, so I could be oblivious to it, even though hormones are through the roof around here.

Parrots

Tony - she didn't regurgitate and the smell is definitely coming from her body/feathers. But that is a good thought.

I was mostly concerned that it may mean she is ill. I can always tell when my kids are sick if they smell off.

She is acting fine, but she wants my lunch so she won't blow dry all the way. I will have to wait until she air dries to see if the shower helped. Here is a video I took a few minutes ago, she seems like her usual bossy self...

Rosie & Kendra

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-10-2016), Mare (04-10-2016), mdg1109 (04-11-2016), plax (04-10-2016)

Parrots

Kim - that is a good question. I don't know but will look into it.
    Rosie & Kendra

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I did notice, in your video, a wing quiver move. Maybe from trying to dry her self but it reminded me of Sassy when she's around Tim..the horny hussy that she is! . Her new smell may be hormones or something new that she's eaten?..

My birds are older than Rosie and they are "READY", morning, noon and night! They have always been that way since we've had them. The only time I notice an off smell with mine, is when they don't get a shower at least once a week.
    Last edited by Mare; 04-10-2016 at 04:50 PM.

11. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (04-10-2016)

Parrots

Thanks Mare! The wing quiver is bc she wants me to get her. When I started getting her stand in my room ready she got super excited and then did her begging/excited quiver.
    Rosie & Kendra

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-10-2016), mdg1109 (04-11-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    Tony - she didn't regurgitate and the smell is definitely coming from her body/feathers. But that is a good thought.

I was mostly concerned that it may mean she is ill. I can always tell when my kids are sick if they smell off.

She is acting fine, but she wants my lunch so she won't blow dry all the way. I will have to wait until she air dries to see if the shower helped. Here is a video I took a few minutes ago, she seems like her usual bossy self...
    Okay. As long as you're sure that her breath smells normal. I will say though that with many animals (such as humans), gastric status can absolutely affect breath status. And in case you may have missed a brief regurg session or two... I'll as well mention that as a bird preens, scent molecules may be transferred from its oral cavity to its feathers. That could result in a lingering aroma for a bit. But if you're convinced it's not that sort of aroma it could well be something else. Whatever the case, hopefully the bath helped.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

15. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (04-10-2016)