User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Therapy Birds

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Therapy Birds

So I have heard of Therapy dogs and cats and such, but is there such a thing as therapy birds. I think that taking a well socialized bird into help children that have been through traumatic situations, or in to nursing homes to visit people would be very therapeutic.

Are there therapy bird programs?

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    I've never heard of any, but can see how it might work, in some cases. (My U2 made ME need therapy, so that's something to think about!)

One thing I have really noticed with our flock, though. Many people seem to have a fear of birds. My DIL is terrified of them, tenses up when our tamest sweetest ones land on her, and my SIL also exhibits fear around them. My son and daughter do just fine with them, as does my 4 year old grandson. Just thinking that it might not be the best choice for many, but with the little sweethearts I have now, I certainly feel like they are therapeutic for me after a long day of dealing with patients at work.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-10-2016), Mare (04-09-2016), mdg1109 (04-09-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    We have neighbors that are terrified of birds! I do not understand it but try not to judge because everyone is terrified of something, in my case it is snakes.

You bring up a good point Kim, some people are just not bird people. I agree with you that after a long day of stressful situations I find spending time with Charlie to be very relaxing and enjoyable.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-09-2016), Sucre (04-10-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Irrational fears are often forced into children by neurotic parents. I think that is why we have grandparents - to teach rationality and that stamping in puddles is natural for children.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-10-2016), Mare (04-09-2016), mdg1109 (04-09-2016), Sucre (04-10-2016)

Parrots

White Faced Cockatiel - Riley. Heavy Pied Cockatiel - Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by mdg1109 View Post
    We have neighbors that are terrified of birds! I do not understand it.
    You think that's bad I have a coworker who is terrified of whales. Like how often do you interact with a whale that causes you to be terrified of them.

Birds would make a bad therapy animal. People are so unpredictable and older people think they know everything so they are much more likely to do something to spook the bird and cause them to get bit. Also it's really easy to get a bird sick so personally I wouldn't chance it.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-10-2016), Mare (04-10-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I have posted this before but it seems fit to post in this thread again. Its a wonderful read!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/ma...ptsd.html?_r=0

11. The following 5 users like this post:

Lady (04-09-2016), Mare (04-10-2016), mdg1109 (04-09-2016), Sucre (04-10-2016), The Pinkertons (04-11-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-10-2016), spiritbird (04-10-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I have posted this before but it seems fit to post in this thread again. Its a wonderful read!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/ma...ptsd.html?_r=0
    Dianne it is an amazing read, thank you for posting it, I also shared it on Facebook!

I love how intelligent birds are, they seem to know things that we do not, I am amazed by birds....

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (04-10-2016), spiritbird (04-10-2016), Sucre (04-10-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    In my opinion, I don't think 'therapy birds' should be a thing. Considering how needy and intelligent they are, we shouldn't rely on THEM.. it should be the other way around. Most people who would need a therapy animal ( comfort wise ) would have little to no luck getting any affection out of a bird. They don't want to cuddle 24/7 like a dog or cat could.. and they bite hard when they're done or when you push their buttons.. unlike a therapy dog. This would make the person angry, or feel sad and left out because their bird doesn't want to do whatever they want them to do.

I think birds can make good pets.. but not therapy pets.
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

17. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (04-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Idk, I think it could work in certain situations, just look at the link @spiritbird supplied. It worked in that case and I'm sure others. Dogs and cats work in most cases but so can horses and even small mammals. I don't claim to know but I do agree that there are different strokes for different folks.

19. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-10-2016), mdg1109 (04-10-2016)