User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toys for Birds Can Be Dangerous

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Toys for Birds Can Be Dangerous

Popular parrot toys which are offered in pet shops may hurt your parrot seriously. Threatened are mostly bigger species because parrots play and chew the material on small bits. These bits can be swallowed consequently. According to the spokesperson of Czech Veterinary Association Josef Duben we should be careful permanently, even in the case of seemingly „harmless“ objects.
    Be wary of steel bells!
    It’s necessary to consider the ability of big parrot species to chew almost everything they get. They can easily bite the cover of the rocking circle off and hurt by sticking wires. All fibers or wires can get stuck between the leg and the ring so birds panic,“ said Duben. Even the sellers warn customers about the inside hearts in steel bells which can be removed and swallowed. That’s why it’s recommended to remove the hearts before the parrot will do that.
    The spokesperson warns also about home made toys. „I definitelly advise pet owners against providing any rubber bands to their pets. The gum can be easily chewed and swallowed. Or when any parrot eats cotton string then it mostly has serious digestive troubles,“ warned Duben. The same carefulness we should keep in case of plastic cups, bottles or other containers.
    a

a
    The best toy? Natural wooden branches
    Dangerous toys shouldn’t appear on the market at all and a trade inspection authority can impose a ban on selling of such goods. Pet owners who find a dangerous toy in any pet shop can report that to the trade inspection. Best toys are from wood. All parrot species should get wooden branches regularly. Those can also be used as perches. However, we have to change them for new ones as soon as they are damaged. Perches of regular shape are mostly not suitable for parrots. It’s dificult for them to grip by a beak or by nails. It’s useless to spend money on overpriced toys when you can easily go to the park or the forest and get something natural for your pet.

Printed from Parrot Daily News http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/category/actp-news/

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2016), The Pinkertons (04-07-2016)

Same reason I don't like giving plastic toys, not after seeing how Kalea chews that stuff up. Who is to say she can't/hasn't swallowed any of that stuff yet you see so many toys made from plastic parts which have been chewed by birds.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

plax (04-08-2016), spiritbird (04-08-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaw Lover View Post
    Same reason I don't like giving plastic toys, not after seeing how Kalea chews that stuff up. Who is to say she can't/hasn't swallowed any of that stuff yet you see so many toys made from plastic parts which have been chewed by birds.
    Exactly! I've always feared plastic parts used on bird toys. When broken apart they literally become shards with the potential to puncture/lacerate the digestive tract. Plastic parts are NOT natural! I can't imagine the thinking behind using them.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper pulled a button off my shirt yesterday. He eventually surrendered it after I offered a swap for an almond but I think he might have swallowed the thread.
    Will this just stay in his crop or could it cause problems?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Casper pulled a button off my shirt yesterday. He eventually surrendered it after I offered a swap for an almond but I think he might have swallowed the thread.
    Will this just stay in his crop or could it cause problems?
    Ingested fibrous materials may pass or remain in the crop where they can accumulate and eventually obstruct evacuation of food.

http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...ll=1#post51914

http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...ll=1#post46239

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I have often wondered why some woods are toxic to our pet birds when the wild birds have there way with any type of wood. Is it that the wild ones build up immunity?

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I have often wondered why some woods are toxic to our pet birds when the wild birds have there way with any type of wood. Is it that the wild ones build up immunity?
    I think there's a lot of speculation on that. For example, wild macaws ingest indigenous clay on a regular basis that some believe may contain substances which counteract various toxins found in other items they eat. And another possibility is that wild birds, when thriving in their natural environments, instinctively know which woods are safe and which are not. Again, I think most answers of that sort are more theory than proven fact.

10. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (04-09-2016)

There's a good possibility the information on whether or not a type of wood is safe or not is handed down from parent to chick in the wild, and if they are in an area with unfamiliar wood they would simply have no frame of reference.
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

12. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (04-09-2016)

Parrots

White Faced Cockatiel - Riley. Heavy Pied Cockatiel - Carolina
    It can also be that wild birds spend a large portion of their day foraging where captive birds spend most of their days playing and chewing on wood and I don't know about you but I've never seen a wild bird chewing on branches.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    It can also be that wild birds spend a large portion of their day foraging where captive birds spend most of their days playing and chewing on wood and I don't know about you but I've never seen a wild bird chewing on branches.
    Parrots in the wild that I have seen in documentaries have quite often trashed the trees they are filmed in.

Yew trees: Yew trees are supposed to be dangerous to birds but I think this idea has come about because they are a danger to horses. The yew tree we have in our garden is full of birds, nesting, playing and eating the insects. Starlings and thrushes love the berries, the pits of which are poisonous to humans (the fruit is fine, quite sweet - just don't swallow the pit). The pits, which are the actual seeds pass right through the birds without being affected by the birds digestive system and without in turn affecting the bird.
    This is how the tree reproduces and spreads its domain - the birds fly off and poop the seed elsewhere. Would the same happen to apple pips and cherry pits? Are we being too careful because of chemical analysis and untested fears? However, I don't think I will be using Casper for research, just in case.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom