User Tag List

Thread: Do I Need to Clean the Cleanser Off My Cage?

Parrots

Kiwi-Hahns Macaw

Do I Need to Clean the Cleanser Off My Cage?

I rescued a Sun Conure and the owner gave me her Wrought Iron Cage. The cage is 10 years old and I don't think it was ever deep cleaned. I started cleaning it with Vinegar Water then tried straight vinegar but end up resorting to using Simple Green. Simple Green claims to be non-toxic but I don't trust that with my parrots. How should I insure the Simple Green is cleaned off the cage?

P.S. While the Conure is in quarantine, she's living in another cage.

Thanks!

Banned

Take outside and blast with a hose, simple green is just a detergent that is biodegradable and environment friendly, that is the first step in the process, now you need to disinfect, there are a few ways to achieve this. Cheapest a dilution of bleach let dry on cage for maximum disinfection, bleach is of course caustic to metal so not always considered viable option on a consistence basis, Quaternary ammonia, used in a dilution must let dry, then rinse off, Chlorhexidine, and last the most expensive but the most highly recommended Is F10 does not need to be rinsed off, a full spectrum Disinfectant that is non toxic to birds

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Dawn is a great cleaner , white distilled vinagar and lemon juice help disinfect also!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (04-06-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Another vote for F10 here, great for everyday cage cleaning. Buy a spray bottle of ready to use and a bottle of concentrate that you just add water to re-using your spray bottle. Much more economical that way.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (04-06-2016), The Pinkertons (04-06-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Another vote for F10 here, great for everyday cage cleaning. Buy a spray bottle of ready to use and a bottle of concentrate that you just add water to re-using your spray bottle. Much more economical that way.
    Where does one find F10?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Amazon do it in the UK, not sure about US but worth checking. I found several American mail order suppliers when I googled "F10 disinfectant USA".
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Steam cleaning does a fine job~

10. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (04-09-2016)