User Tag List

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Green Wing macaw refusing formula at 11 weeks old

Parrots

Green wing Macaw
    He ate 110cc tonight. I am understanding how to invoke his feeding response now even if he isn't begging. I show him the syringe and he opens his beak, then I use my thumb and index where his beak joins. And as soon as I touch his tongue, he bobs his head. So happy. Food is fed at 108 degrees for 1st 60cc and then 107.2 degree for 2nd 60cc.

Enjoy the pics below. I have so many more I wanna show you. He did alot of things from yesterday to today.

Been a few days since he ate his due. happy to see that nice round crop.

2. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-07-2016), Lady (04-14-2016), Mare (04-27-2016), PlaxMacaws (04-06-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    That's so good to hear, chad84. I'm glad the situation is improving for Robert. You and he are going to have a lifetime of fun and friendship. I love the pics... thanks for sharing
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (04-06-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chad84 View Post
    He ate 110cc tonight. I am understanding how to invoke his feeding response now even if he isn't begging. I show him the syringe and he opens his beak, then I use my thumb and index where his beak joins. And as soon as I touch his tongue, he bobs his head. So happy. Food is fed at 108 degrees for 1st 60cc and then 107.2 degree for 2nd 60cc.

Enjoy the pics below. I have so many more I wanna show you. He did alot of things from yesterday to today.

Been a few days since he ate his due. happy to see that nice round crop.

Thank you Chad84, he is looking brighter , good to know your back on track with your new baby, don't be a stranger here on P.P. we are eager to share your journey in parronthood

6. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-06-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots and welcome to the wonderful journey through life that is parrot guardianship. Robert looks quite a character, I am looking forward to reading of his adventures as he grows up.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-06-2016), The Pinkertons (04-06-2016)

Parrots

Green wing Macaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots and welcome to the wonderful journey through life that is parrot guardianship. Robert looks quite a character, I am looking forward to reading of his adventures as he grows up.
    So excited. Will update you all the time!

- - - Updated - - -

I am uploading some pics. A before and after.

Before: 850g and 8 weeks old (when I got him as gift)
    He was raised by parents and was not hand fed

After: 1052g and 11 weeks old (3 weeks of formula)
    Started hand feeding after never tasting it and loved it

10. The following 5 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-07-2016), Lady (04-14-2016), Mare (04-27-2016), PlaxMacaws (04-06-2016), The Pinkertons (04-06-2016)

Banned

I'm impressed, we will soon be asking you for advise on hand feeding in the future!

12. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-07-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Hi Chad and welcome! Robert is gorgeous, you must be head over heels in love with him.

I brought my GW Rosie home when she was about 4 months old and was on 2 handfeedings a day. Since she was my first bird and I had no experience, I was a nervous wreck. It sounds like you are doing the absolute best you can with him. He seems like he is thriving.

Can't wait to see more pics as he grows and read all about him!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (04-27-2016), PlaxMacaws (04-07-2016), The Pinkertons (04-07-2016)

Parrots

Green wing Macaw
    Hello to my friends! Robert has been full of energy even though he was pumped with antibiotics for the last few days. He still is refusing formula and only eats about 50cc a day. I offer him bananas and veges every time I feed him. He seems very content and very demanding at times. Always begging to come along when the wife and I leave the house. I ordered zupreem pellets to mix with his hand feed and also to offer to him moist as weaning food. It seems like he is almost ready to wean as his interest in non formula food has been awoken.

After eating 50cc, he would usually start quarrelling and running from the syringe. Is this at all normal?

Also, my wife has been complaining that all I do is talk about Robert and that I kiss him up so much. She also said I don't do that to her as much. Truthfully I have been spend ALOT of time with Robert. But I also give much more time to my wife. Seeing that he is a free range companion and he has no cage, he poops everywhere. I normally clean it up very quickly. The wife also complains that the house smells weird because I don't mop the tiles often enough. I always wipe up his poop as soon as he drops it. But I try to mop at least once a week.
    She told me don't make her regret the decision to get a macaw. She is under some stress with her studies these days. I hope I don't lose Robert. I shed some tears this morning when she said maybe I should give him back if the house continues to smell funny.

All my life I have wanted to have a parrot pet/companion. I begged for it since I was a young child. So now that I have Robert, I can't let him go.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Welcome back, chad84. It's good to hear that Robert is active and that he's completed his regimen of antibiotics. Medication such as antibiotics can result in a diminished appetite, so that may be a factor at this point. You probably already know this, but antibiotics may kill some essential digestive bacteria. That can affect appetite as well... but I believe Robert has only been on the medication for one week or so and I'm unsure how much of a threat to digestive flora the short duration may or may not pose for a baby macaw. You should ask your vet if he thinks the meds may be a factor in Robert's lower appetite. If there is much potential for a reduction in digestive flora from that duration, you may wish to give Robert some probiotics to help his tract stabilize to normal. And you may want to do that anyway (just in case). However, it's a good idea to consult with your vet about any steps you take or changes you make concerning Robert's care.

As far as turning away from his feedings, I think it's typical for a bird being hand fed to turn away from the syringe or spoon once they feel they've had enough.

As for the odor, it may be a result of Robert's baby diet. The droppings from my adult macaws, who consume adult solid foods, are virtually odorless. Hopefully some other members may comment on this theory. Be warned, though, that Zupreem pellets can produce a sulfur-ish smell when moistened. And I've found that this condition appears to be exclusively peculiar to Zupreem pellets. Harrison's pellets, for example, do not emit said odor. If you're mixing Zupreem bird foods into Robert's feedings, that could be a contributor to any lingering sulfur-ish smell you may notice. If you're not currently using Zupreem foods the oder could be emanating from another component of the baby diet... perhaps from the formula itself.

I'm very hopeful that you won't have to part with Robert. If you did end up giving him back, what would become of him? From your descriptions I can tell that he's already bonding to you. I think that changing his environment as well as those he depends upon might be psychologically devastating for him. Please try and be there for him, as he truly needs you!

Wonderful pictures of your little feathered friend... thanks for posting them
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (04-14-2016), Mare (04-27-2016), The Pinkertons (04-13-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Chad,
    Welcome to PP and congrats on your beautiful little baby boy! Love the pics, he looks so tiny for the moment. I hope you get things worked out with your wife so Robert steals her heart and you both will never want to part with him. I'm also looking forward to your updates!