User Tag List

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Green Wing macaw refusing formula at 11 weeks old

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by chad84 View Post
    Can I give it to him on a half full crop? What about a full crop? The doc told me not to mix it into the formula but make sure and give him it alone.
    What is the name of the antibiotic? I may not be familiar with it considering that you live in another country. Many antibiotics can result in organ damage if not accompanied by food and water. I believe that a half full crop should provide adequate buffering. Your vet may be thinking that because the regimen will only last for a short time, no appreciable organ damage is likely. I am not a vet, so I can only offer you my opinions. And one of those opinions is that if I were you, I would personally be concerned enough to never deliver such a medication on an empty crop. Considering that you don't have access to a certified avian vet, the best course for you and Robert will probably be to act on the side of caution as far as administering the antibiotic. It could be that the concentration of the particular substance is low enough to be safe even on an empty crop. But I personally wouldn't chance it.

I'm unsure whether you already have this hand feeding guideline from kaytee, so I'll post it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feeding_instructions.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	3972

It's from: http://www.kaytee.com/assets/021/42699.pdf
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

spiritbird (04-06-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Banned

Can I give it to him on a half full crop? What about a full crop? The doc told me not to mix it into the formula but make sure and give him it alone.
    Glad to hear that Robert is more responsive today, I'm sure he will be okay with a small amount of substance in his crop when administering his Medication. Do you know what the doctor prescribed, usually it's formulated in a palatable type of viscous substance whereas not to irritate crop . Aspiration pneumonia is a serious condition, hopefully he did not inhale to much formula and will have speedy recovery, it's a good sign that he is vocalizing for a favorable prognoses. Wishing you all the best with your Companion, please continue to keep us posted!

4. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Green wing Macaw
    He gave me Amoxicillin Oral 100ml. It tastes like a strawberry milk shake and is quite viscous.

Banned

He gave me Amoxicillin Oral 100ml. It tastes like a strawberry milk shake and is quite viscous.
    Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic , that's good its already mixed as formula, did he give you a time frame to see improvement, he may need to switch up antibiotics if no improvement is seen or worsens.

7. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum, antibiotic (essentially a synthetic version of penicillin). As it turns out, it is one antibiotic that's occasionally recommended to be administered on an empty crop for best results. So it sounds like your vet's advice is fine . I just like to be sure because several antibiotics require some matter/fluid in the crop.

9. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum, antibiotic (essentially a synthetic version of penicillin). As it turns out, it is one antibiotic that's occasionally recommended to be administered on an empty crop for best results. So it sounds like your vet's advice is fine . I just like to be sure because several antibiotics require some matter/fluid in the crop.
    Doxycycline, Erythromycin should be taken with food and Baytrill is a very aggressive one and potentially damaging to the liver and kidneys.

11. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post

Doxycycline, Erythromycin should be taken with food and Baytrill is a very aggressive one and potentially damaging to the liver and kidneys.
    Yeah, I think Amoxicillin in a suspension is probably fine by itself for Robert's situation. However, I did a quick search and found that Amoxicillin has been linked to rare cases of liver damage in humans (http://livertox.nih.gov/Amoxicillin.htm). But I can find nothing about birds being at risk from it at the usual doses prescribed.

Thanks Suzanne

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Wow...11 weeks is pretty young to have a macaw leave from a breeder.But here we are.I would suggest as well as the handfeeding your doing, offer a bowl of limited amounts of fresh fruit and vegetables.The yogurt is fine but don't overdo the apple cider vinager.Monitor his intake from the bowl of fresh stuff and be sure he is in a warm place .You want to be sure his crop is getting a full turn over from full to very close to empty to prevent a sour crop which will bring on an entire new series of issues.It sounds like he may have inhailed some of the formula I agree.That will eventually pass.I would be surprised if he actually had an infection,although its not impossible.Your using a relatively good brand of formula.If hes starting to refuse it,he may be ready to start weening onto solids.Which is why I suggest the bowl of other stuff.Dont stop the handfeeding as he is still pretty young.Most breeders I know including us wont send a macaw to new families until they are close to 6 months old for this very reason.They get a little confused when the transition is so early.He will figure it out and be fine.It sounds like your doing the right things.
    "Ivo"

14. The following 3 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-05-2016), spiritbird (04-06-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Green wing Macaw
    I love you guys. You are so helpful. I actually got him at 8 weeks old. The coughing and wheezing is scary. Ran to the vet the first time i noticed. I have to wait till the weekend was over to go. Longest weekend ever!

Parrots

I love you guys. You are so helpful. I actually got him at 8 weeks old. The coughing and wheezing is scary. Ran to the vet the first time i noticed. I have to wait till the weekend was over to go. Longest weekend ever!
    I'm sure it was! Please keep us updated about Robert and feel free to post photos and videos of him if and when you like. We will always love to hear about him and see him having fun and growing

17. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (04-06-2016)