User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scooping Food Out of Bowl

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    ...Sassy prefers the cockatiel size over the cockatoo size pellet.
    Haha, flock feeding syndrome - I want what they're having.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    For sure, Michelle! . I just now read this so will take a pic tomorrow morning for you. Do you have a spice/coffee grinder? I have one specifically for the pellets with a big piece of tape on it and writing in big, bold felt pen, to remind people that this is NOT for coffee beans!

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    For sure, Michelle! . I just now read this so will take a pic tomorrow morning for you. Do you have a spice/coffee grinder? I have one specifically for the pellets with a big piece of tape on it and writing in big, bold felt pen, to remind people that this is NOT for coffee beans!
    Yes ma'am I do have a coffee/spice grinder and also a mini food processor. Do you think I could grind some of the Harrison's food up and sprinkle it over his fruit and veggies in the morning?

Tony, I had no idea birds liked spicy foods....thank you for telling me about the pepper food

5. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-06-2016)

Banned

Mine like fresh jalapeno peppers, I slice them in rings seeds and all top their food with like a garnish.

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-06-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Mine like fresh jalapeno peppers, I slice them in rings seeds and all top their food with like a garnish.
    Wow, I never would have guessed that? I know that they have mucus membranes in their mouths but I guess they also have taste buds because they can differentiate between things they like and things they don't.

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-06-2016)

Parrots

Am I right in thinking that parrots do not sense the hotness of chili peppers, they just love the taste?

11. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-06-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Mine like serrano and jalapeño peppers, too. I've heard that their tongues aren't sensitive to the heat, I have wondered how it feels if they rub their eye after eating one with their foot, though..

Michelle, here is a pic of the morning oatmeal with ground up pellets. The pic on the left is after it has cooled sufficiently, I then stir in enough water (not a lot) to give it a runny consistency. I add a little coconut oil and just a touch of brown sugar while it's still warm.

Last edited by Mare; 04-06-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Parrots' taste buds are found in the back of their throats and on their tongues and, like ours, can distinguish sweet, sour, bitter and salt. But whereas humans have about 9000 taste buds, parrots have only about 350. Since Parrots have less taste buds than humans they do not taste the hotness of peppers as we do. They are much less sensitive.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (04-07-2016), The Pinkertons (04-06-2016)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    I have all the different flavor Nutriberries and the only one Nike will consistently eat are the El Paso. Those smell like peppers which is weird because she will not touch any fresh peppers or chilis
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

Parrots

Thank you Dianne

17. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (04-07-2016), The Pinkertons (04-06-2016)