User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scooping Food Out of Bowl

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Scooping Food Out of Bowl

Hello all. So Charlie has taken to scooping the new Harrisons food that I got for him out of his bowl. I am gradually trying to switch him over to Harrisons so I have been mixing the Zupreem breeders blend in with the Harrison. I have done 1/3 cup of Zupreem to 1/4 of the Harrisons.

This morning I noticed him scooping the Harrisons out of his food bowl to where if falls on the bottom of his cage.

A couple of questions:

1.) Why would he be doing this?

2.) How many times should I introduce the Harrisons before I assume he does not like it?

Thanks for any advice suggestions.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    The answer to question 1 is that Charlie, like so many other birds, doesn't appreciate change. That's often especially the case when it comes to the foods they are offered. When a bird is already used to and enjoys eating a particular staple food it can be quite difficult to convert it to a replacement food. To make matters worse, unfortunately, lots of birds don't care much for Harrison's pellets to begin with. It's not very interesting to look at and it lacks the sugar found in many other pellet brands. Often, if you give a bird the choice between a food that he already likes and another food that doesn't taste as good or look at all pleasing to him, he will purge the latter. From his perspective, why should he do anything else?

It's a shame that the above seems true for a great many captive parrots since Harrison's bird foods are made from the best quality organic ingredients. All you can really do is be persistent. Don't give up for at least as long as you have the Harrison's food in your possession. Charlie may eventually come around. You might try soaking the Harrison's in fruit juice or coating it with various nut butters or mixing it with various moist foods from which it may absorb some of the juices. But only time and persistence will tell if any of that may render success. Another thing you might try is the Harrison's pepper flavored pellets. Some birds who won't touch the regular Harrison's pellets seem to enjoy the pepper flavored ones. Also you might call the toll-free number on the back of the Harrison's bag and discuss the matter with their people.

For what it's worth, the only macaw I have who will consistently eat Harrison's pellets is Salsa. The other 3 tend to consistently loathe them
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Mare (04-05-2016), mdg1109 (04-05-2016), spiritbird (04-04-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    If its the little cubes of Harrison's then it does make a very satisfying pinging noise as it hits the bars on the way down and at the bottom.
    Charlie does seem to be trying to show his opinion of this new stuff but has he actually tried eating any?
    I would try giving him only Harrison's and see what happens. Promise him some Zupreem when he has eaten all his Harrisons.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (04-05-2016), mdg1109 (04-05-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I would not mix old and new any more. Serve only the Harrison's. He will catch on soon. What a little smart stinker to scoop them out!

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-05-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    If its the little cubes of Harrison's then it does make a very satisfying pinging noise as it hits the bars on the way down and at the bottom.
    Charlie does seem to be trying to show his opinion of this new stuff but has he actually tried eating any?
    I would try giving him only Harrison's and see what happens. Promise him some Zupreem when he has eaten all his Harrisons.
    Ohhh yes, he seems to love hearing it hit the cage, the cage bottom and the floor, little turkey.

I feel like I am dealing with a toddler again.

On the other hand I made him some zuchinni noodles and he loves those!

9. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-05-2016), Mare (04-05-2016), spiritbird (04-05-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I would not mix old and new any more. Serve only the Harrison's. He will catch on soon. What a little smart stinker to scoop them out!
    Ohh yes Dianne, he is extremely smart, what I left out of the original post is that he ate out all the Zupreem pellets and left the Harrison in the bottom of the bowl before he decided to start scooping them out.

I call him a turkey when he is being silly or doing something he is not supposed to be doing.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

spiritbird (04-05-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    These guys are amazing at "pick and toss" . I use Zupreem natural pellets. The only way I get Amigo to eat them, STILL..is by grinding them up and heating them with his morning oatmeal. Sassy and the cockatiels don't mind them so much. Sassy prefers the cockatiel size over the cockatoo size pellet.

13. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    That's an idea. Maybe the Harrison's people could send you a smaller pellet to try.

15. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-05-2016)

Banned

Try mixing Harrison's with his zucchini noodles

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-06-2016), Mare (04-05-2016), mdg1109 (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    That's an idea. Maybe the Harrison's people could send you a smaller pellet to try.
    I actually got the fine size instead of the coarse size because I thought it would be easier to transition him over since they are more like the Zupreem pellets, there i go thinking again.

Suzanne, that is an awesome idea, I will try that.

Mare, would you mind taking a picture of the oatmeal you make for the birds? I have thought about doing something like that but am worried that I will make the consistency to thick and he won't eat it.

19. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-05-2016)