User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scooping Food Out of Bowl

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Mine like serrano and jalapeño peppers, too. I've heard that their tongues aren't sensitive to the heat, I have wondered how it feels if they rub their eye after eating one with their foot, though..

Michelle, here is a pic of the morning oatmeal with ground up pellets. The pic on the left is after it has cooled sufficiently, I then stir in enough water (not a lot) to give it a runny consistency. I add a little coconut oil and just a touch of brown sugar while it's still warm.

OK silly question, are you using Quaker oats or baby food oatmeal? Are you letting them eat it straight out of the bowl? How often do you give them the oatmeal? Thank you for posting the picture, sorry for the flood of questions.

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-07-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Parrots' taste buds are found in the back of their throats and on their tongues and, like ours, can distinguish sweet, sour, bitter and salt. But whereas humans have about 9000 taste buds, parrots have only about 350. Since Parrots have less taste buds than humans they do not taste the hotness of peppers as we do. They are much less sensitive.
    That is so interesting, I new that they did not taste anything with their tongue but more use it as a finger, but thank you for posting this it is quite interesting! You are always a wealth of information

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-07-2016), spiritbird (04-07-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdg1109 View Post

OK silly question, are you using Quaker oats or baby food oatmeal? Are you letting them eat it straight out of the bowl? How often do you give them the oatmeal? Thank you for posting the picture, sorry for the flood of questions.
    I use a fist full of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats for 2 cockatoos. I cook this in one bowl, in the microwave, for one minute and 20 seconds with a Tblsp. of ground up pellets and enough water to cover just above the top. You would want to cut this quantity in half. I feed them this every morning whether they eat it all or not. Some days they chow down everything.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I use a fist full of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats for 2 cockatoos. I cook this in one bowl, in the microwave, for one minute and 20 seconds with a Tblsp. of ground up pellets and enough water to cover just above the top. You would want to cut this quantity in half. I feed them this every morning whether they eat it all or not. Some days they chow down everything.
    Great, thank you I am going to try it and see how Charlie does with it.

Thank you for your help!

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-07-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    You're welcome! .

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by mdg1109 View Post
    Great, thank you I am going to try it and see how Charlie does with it.
    Be sure that you are able to dip your finger into the heated mixture and hold it there comfortably for 5 seconds (or so) before serving it to Charlie. Microwave ovens vary and can result in very hot food substances. Birds may ignore the heat and become seriously injured.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (04-07-2016), The Pinkertons (04-07-2016)