User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stressing about possible babies!!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Mare think about having the dummy eggs on hand. It's a backup more than anything. I really understand your fear. That's why I do not give my birds a nest box. I know your girl laid the eggs before nest box in sight. @Cedardave is our resident breeder.

I do know the nesting birds and babies need a quiet place. You can still have tame babies and not hand feed if mom and dad are feeding. Cockatiel are supposed to be excellent parents. Co parenting is nice too I hear. Both you and parents feed. Do you have anyone in your area that breeds birds? May be a help to you. We are here for you too.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-04-2016), Mare (04-04-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Parrots

White Faced Cockatiel - Riley. Heavy Pied Cockatiel - Carolina
    So basically you should be prepared to take over if you need to for whatever reason, keep it humid near the cage to help prevent egg binding and make sure she has lots of calcium, get a heating pad or lamp incase you need to make a brooder, syringes in case they need to be fed, scale to weigh and monitor them. If you plan to coparent don't bother feeding them just handle them often. About 15 minutes 4 times a day per baby and they will still be tame.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-04-2016), spiritbird (04-04-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thank you, Dianne and Robyn . I'll be picking up supplies today. As far as coparenting goes, it does sound like a great option but Chip is SO protective of his nest and Jellybean..I don't think he will go along with me handling the babies, not while he's alive anyways

6. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Parrots

White Faced Cockatiel - Riley. Heavy Pied Cockatiel - Carolina
    If you choose to handfeed don't pull them for 2 weeks and again make sure to handle them for 15 minutes 4 times a day for each baby.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-05-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    You may get a bite or two from Chip but handling them is important. You will have to clean the nest box so Chip will get used to your hands.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/cockatielchicks.html

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    You'd better put chain-mail gloves on the shopping list as well then.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (04-05-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016), wingman (04-05-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Keep in mind that even though they may have eggs...be on eggs and tending to them,its not always a sure thing they will be viable and hatch.They may well...but often the first and second round of eggs turn out to be duds.Of course you need to let them do their parental duties by tending to them.Hopefully you have some idea of when to expect hatch time.Most birds are about 28 days from the last egg...give or take.Egg laying by the way will occur wether there is a nest box or not.If people use newspaper as play toys ...if a bird chews wood into pieces....etc..which almost every female bird will do...then if the eggs are ready to come out they will....nestbox or not.Many birds will lay them in a quiet corner on the cahe bottom.I have heard of birds that would surprise their humans with an egg in the food bowl.Similarly..the ideal scenario would be for our captive companion birds to have a quiet place to lay their eggs.In nature they seek put the quiet spots as well.Depending on location both in nature,where there can be the constant sounds of a busy city near nesting grounds...or large flocks noisy birds ,and in our homes where life just happens and everyone needs to make adjustments to new babies on the way...they will also adjust in order to procreate.That is instinctual.Its the one thing we havent taken away from these guys by keeping them as pets.You can manipulate diet to an extent to help avoid starting up the hormonal machine...but its still there ready to be started.We all do the best we can for our companions and thats what makes having them as part of our families so rewarding.
    "Ivo"

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thank you, Dianne! A very enlightening site! I'm hoping to be a pro by the end of this adventure and Jean-Pierre, I've bought a couple of pairs of long rubber gloves

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks, Dave . I've read that this is a possibility. What do you do if this scenario happens? If the eggs don't hatch..then what? I'm figuring that if they are going to hatch, it will be somewhere's between April 11-14. Do you just snatch them from the nest box? Thank you for jumping in here, I'm needing some support

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Mare no need to stress out! If i can do it you can boo and pumkin turned out fine. Hand feeding is fun and very rewarding. Get a syringe and à thermometer . mix the food formula up not thin and not to thick just follow directions and i found that the hot water that comes out is pretty close to the right temp just monitor it so its not too hot . fill the syringe and put it to the left side of the birdies mouth and go slow the bird will instinctly learn just go slow pushing the formula drops first when the crop fills the they have enough and will not want any more. The books you ordered will tell the right temp for the formula. If it gets to cool it needs to be thrown out so it wont bulk up in the crop. Always make new formula when its feeding time and i always washed the mix bowl and syring after feeding in hot water also the thermomter; wait about 2weeks so they can get the parents bacteria in thier system then put the babies in a tupperware type shoe box with a heating pad on low to keep them warm while feeding. Have paper towels they do get messy and this way you can wipe off beaks and face feathers its almost like feeding a human baby. Its fun and satifying and you can do it no doubt. Also just pet and love on them..you will love it!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by wingman; 04-05-2016 at 03:26 PM.

18. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-05-2016), Lady (04-16-2016), Mare (04-05-2016), spiritbird (04-05-2016), The Pinkertons (04-05-2016)