User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parrot fever (not the good kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    I do hope that it was a false positive and that they are both going to be fine. Do they do another test at the end of the treatment?
    There is an excellent article about the disease and its treatment here: http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/ve...ce/psittacosis
    Thanks for the info. I actually already came across that link before I even went to the vet. It's a good resource. I do not know if they retest at the 6 week mark, but the last injection is another appointment with the vet rather than the nurse. I imagine we'll probably do another antibody test then.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-04-2016), mdg1109 (04-04-2016)

Injection two down, four more to go. It really does not seem to bother Anakin, except that the pain killers make him drowsy. When we got home tonight, he was so out of it and tired that he didn't even try to get away when I took him out, and even perched on my finger without flying off. Poor guy. Went straight to sleep when I put him to bed.

On the other hand, Luna hates everything about it. She hates the car trip and will refuse to sit anywhere except on my fingers through the cage bars. She hates waiting in the vet office. She hates being held for the needle and she HATES the needle. Thankfully, I trained her to take liquid from a syringe a while back, so accepting the pain killers has not been as problematic as it might have been otherwise. About the only thing she does like is the small window where she gets let out and can fly to me before the nurse can weigh her. The worst part for me personally is that after the injection, she holds her little wings out a bit from her body and starts to shake, which is hard to watch but I'm told is completely normal. She got a lot of cuddles when we got home.

On the plus side, neither bird had any signs of necrosis, and they are both responding well after the fact.

4. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2016), kendrafitz (04-07-2016), Lady (04-09-2016), Mare (05-05-2016), PlaxMacaws (04-07-2016), Sucre (04-09-2016)

Banned

What an ordeal...as Dianne said, it's good you caught it in the early stages.
    Keeping you in my thoughts for a positive outcome.

6. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-07-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    The updates sound positive. Keep strong and think positive, I know we all are!

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    So glad everything is going as well as it is! And you really have me wondering if my vet could even come close to handling something like this, so I am putting a lot of thought into looking for another one. I know we do not have any avian specialty vets within a couple of hours drive. But maybe I could just find one (at a distance) for regular check ups and emergencies.

Injection 3 was done last Thursday. Luna is much better in the car, but she hates the travel cage and puts up a huge fuss about going in. Anakin is fine with it, even if he is against having to be manhandled in. I tried coaxing him with sunflower seeds, but he knows what the green cage is for and won't go for it.

Still no tissue necrosis or other side effects. Luna was still holding her wing out and shaking a little hours later, but was fine by the morning. Anakin was once again very drowsy. I was able to snuggle him gently against me and give him scritches when we got home, which is a first. He turned his head into it, so I am taking that as a positive.

Can't wait for this to be done with.

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	3995

From yesterday.

10. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-17-2016), kendrafitz (04-17-2016), Lady (04-17-2016), Mare (05-05-2016), PlaxMacaws (04-17-2016), The Pinkertons (04-17-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I'm happy to hear that the treatments are continuing to go well for Luna and Anakin. I'm sure that all 3 of you will feel relieved once the regimen has ended.

Thanks for the update. They are looking great
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-17-2016)

Banned

They look very happy

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    They are so cute, one would never know all that you guys are dealing with. Great job!

Thanks all for the kind words. They're both doing pretty well. Shot 4 was last night. Luna was much better in the car and travel cage. Ani escaped in the office, but was pretty easily caught. No necrosis at all. I have one more with the nurse and then a final with the vet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	3998

16. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-22-2016), Lady (04-23-2016), Mare (05-05-2016), PlaxMacaws (04-22-2016), The Pinkertons (04-22-2016)