User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parrot fever (not the good kind)

Parrot fever (not the good kind)

I took the birds to the vet last week for an annual check up. We got everything tested since it was the first time for both birds. It went pretty smoothly. Luna wasn't very happy about the travel cage situation, to put it mildly. I ended up having her snuggled in my shirt asleep on the drive there (I wasn't driving) because it was getting a little stressful for both of us. Anyway, we made it, got all of the tests done, went home. A few days later my vet called to say that Anakin had tested positive for psittacosis. Luna was fine, but antibodies can take a few weeks to appear and she's barely been around Ani for 3 weeks.

So, we started treatment Thursday just gone. We have 5 more weeks of shots to go. I decided to get both treated just in case, particularly because Luna and Ani have been regurgitating food for each other and spend a good portion of their day playing out together. Thankfully, it has been caught early and neither seem to be reacting badly to the injections. I was warned there would likely be some necrosis, but even that seems not to have happened. Just a little tender and sore around the belly.

Everything seems to be going okay given the situation, so I'm not as stressed or as worried as I was last week. It's just going to be an expensive, exhausting month.

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    I am so sorry that you and your fids are going through this. I hope everyone makes a speedy recovery and you can relax and get back to normal sooner rather than later

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    So, I don't know a lot about diseases in birds, but I'm so glad you caught this. I still haven't made it in with Sookie, but your post reminded me of that. I need to get her checked over this week.

Do the injections have any other adverse effects? (Necrosis is bad enough!)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    That's a horrible thing to hear from your vet. I'm glad to know that your treatments are at least progressing relatively well. I'm sure you know that psittacosis is also contractible by humans... so it's good for everyone's sake that you're taking steps to eradicate the pathogen. The only other thing that may be/might have been a good idea would be to order a second test to rule out any chance of a false positive.

Best of luck to your feathered crew for a full and smooth elimination of the pathogen!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (04-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Sucre View Post
    So, I don't know a lot about diseases in birds, but I'm so glad you caught this. I still haven't made it in with Sookie, but your post reminded me of that. I need to get her checked over this week.

Do the injections have any other adverse effects? (Necrosis is bad enough!)
    There were a bunch, but I don't remember them all. My vet said that the very bad ones were all extremely uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    That's a horrible thing to hear from your vet. I'm glad to know that your treatments are at least progressing relatively well. I'm sure you know that psittacosis is also contractible by humans... so it's good for everyone's sake that you're taking steps to eradicate the pathogen. The only other thing that may be/might have been a good idea would be to order a second test to rule out any chance of a false positive.

Best of luck to your feathered crew for a full and smooth elimination of the pathogen!
    Trust me, I am well aware. I spent half of last Thursday disinfecting everything, and tossing what couldn't be soaked in F10. At this stage, it is about the same for me cost wise to continue treatment as it would be to have them retest. Since both of them are travelling okay with the shots, I think I'll just keep going with them. Thank you for the advice.

Anakin came to me from a shelter as stray, and probably not from a good home. His beak has an old bruise on it, his nare is somewhat scarred and one of his toes is missing. I suppose it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that he was exposed to disease too, wherever he came from. I called the RSPCA where I got him from to let them know as well. I stressed the danger of the disease pretty thoroughly, so I'm hoping they took my advice to contact the owners of the birds that where there when he was, and potentially any birds after he left if they didn't clean his cage properly between birds.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-03-2016), The Pinkertons (04-07-2016)

Oh, I should add, the vet clinic does their testing in-house. They are very reputable and good at what they do, so I feel / hope I can trust that they did the test as it should have been done and interpreted it correctly.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-04-2016), PlaxMacaws (04-03-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh goodness. I am glad you are taking good care of your babies and following up with the treatments. I have hope that all will have a good outcome. Keep us posted as you see fit.

12. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (04-07-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I do hope that it was a false positive and that they are both going to be fine. Do they do another test at the end of the treatment?
    There is an excellent article about the disease and its treatment here: http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/ve...ce/psittacosis
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (04-03-2016), The Pinkertons (04-07-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Good thing you took them to the vet for an exam and labs. Its really exhausting and stressful to go through this. I am very sorry. It does sound like you are doing everything that should be done. Early detection is on your side. Good luck and please keep up posted.

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-04-2016), The Pinkertons (04-07-2016)