User Tag List

Thread: Going out of town.. for the first time

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash

Going out of town.. for the first time

Agh! I am going on a 1 week vacation this week starting Saturday and ending next Friday, and I have to board Nash! This is the first time I have left Nash for more than 12 hours and i am FREAKING out!

Unfortunately, due to housing and stuff, Nash is not very socialized.. He only ever sees my dad and I, and so it may be a huge, nerve wracking change for him to see probably 10 new people in that 1 weeks span.. He has also never seen another parrot since he came to me last July, so this may also be a huge change..

I have his first aid kit ready ( although I am boarding him at Papayago Rescue House, and the woman who owns it is going to school for avian medicine so I know she probably already has this stuff ), and his birdy diary ( I write down any major changes in behavior, food, caging, etc on here and have been since I got him )..

He will also be living in his older cage which is 1/3 the size of his new one unfortunately so it will be a huge change for him as well.. I have put him in there today so he will get used to it while here, but I still am afraid that all of this new stuff will make him anxious! He is flighted so it is doubtful that they will get him out just incase something happens ( even though their house is bird proofed and all, they still have other birds who Nash would treat badly or the other way around ) which worries me because he is used to getting 5+ hours out of the cage every day...

ANyone else get scared when boarding their fids?
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-01-2016), Mare (04-01-2016), mdg1109 (04-01-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I know you are worried. That's part of being a good birdie Mom. Fortunately I have a pet sitter who is also a groomer. Also a great neighbor who loves my birds. You can call and find out how he is doing. It's a good thing for him not to fly around a new place. He could get hurt. Will he be kept separate from the other birds?

4. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-01-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We worry and we worry. They have a great time and don't want to go home. It'll be fine, fingers crossed.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    I am sure he will do great Savannah. You are an excellent birdie mom and you also need a break too! Maybe this will be the chance for him to get a little interaction with the other birds and (no pun intended) spread his wings little bit. Hopefully all goes well and next time you have to leave him you will feel more comfortable.

Like Dianne said you can call and check on him and make sure you explain your concerns to them that way they know to be prepared for stuff. Hugs and positive thoughts and energy for you and Nash

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Does anyone else skype their parrot when they are away?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post

No, do you?

Oh, Savannah, I know exactly how you must be feeling. Leaving them the first time is the hardest thing to do but chances are,,he will enjoy his new adventure and think how happy your reunion will be! Calling and checking on him is a good idea, that will help ease your thoughts.

I hope you have a fun vacation and if possible, try not to stress!!

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Savannah: It appears that Nash will be in very good hands. You're fortunate to have a well qualified place to leave him during your absence. I'm sure he will get along fine. And as has been mentioned, a phone call or two may serve to reassure

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Actually, at the beginning of March (during our server failure/replacement situation), Pudgerigar had submitted a very nice post (with photos) about her budgie, Itachi. Many of you may have missed it because the server swap resulted in some database corruption which made it necessary for me to restore a backup of PP's database from a point prior to said post from Pudgerigar. But I read it before it went away and I can tell you that therein she had described a webcam session she held with Itachi and that he even smooched the screen . So something like skype can be useful and reassuring as long as both parties are willing.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-01-2016)

Banned

Savannah, You have covered all the bases, and have left no stone unturned , I can sympathize with you with all the what if's. I am confidant your sweet Nash will be well taken care of.

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Thanks guys! I just got home and I've been in contact with them more than I should have (; He is A-OK and I am picking him up tomorrow!
    They never let him out, but said that every time they put their hand in to give him new veggies or pets that he was fine and wasnt a butt! I am so glad it all went well and i am glad to be back!!!(:
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (04-09-2016), PlaxMacaws (04-09-2016), wingman (04-09-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Glad to hear you both had no problems to speak of. Now that your home again you can rest assured that you found a great place to board him while you can relax and enjoy some R&R.

15. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (04-09-2016)