User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crest Feathers and Tail Feathers

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Crest Feathers and Tail Feathers

Hi all, do our LSC2 loose their crest feathers and tail feathers. I am new to bird ownership and was just wondering do they lose those feathers over time and get replacement feathers? I am trying to avoid freaking out if I see a large tail feather or a bright yellow large feather.

Thanks!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    All feathers are replaced over time. In my experience Casper will loose his flight feathers in pairs, i.e. same feather on both sides together. His butt feathers are an entirely different matter, he was down to two remaining last year partly because he would hang by his beak from the seat of the sofa and drop onto his tail, breaking a couple as he went. They all grew back in time. He also shed all the tiny feathers above his beak all at once leaving a pink and sore looking patch but they grew back fine as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4987 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	3956
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-31-2016), mdg1109 (03-31-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Some birds have what I call a minor molt and then some will have a major molt. Major including flights and tail feathers. Its a good idea to increase protein in the diet for a while so healthy feathers will grow in.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-31-2016), Mare (03-31-2016), mdg1109 (03-31-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Yes, they will all eventually be replaced by new ones. Do you know about helping them to break the tip of the new feather sheath? My guys always appreciate the help around their heads. Amigo's crest feathers are especially sharp when growing in.

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Yes, they will all eventually be replaced by new ones. Do you know about helping them to break the tip of the new feather sheath? My guys always appreciate the help around their heads. Amigo's crest feathers are especially sharp when growing in.
    No Mare I am not aware of that? How does one do that? I would love any advice. Since he is only almost 5 months old do you think we will see a molt this year?

Thank you for all of your help.

Jean-Pierre Casper did not look too happy about that picture being taken lol.

8. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-31-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1109 View Post

No Mare I am not aware of that? How does one do that? I would love any advice. Since he is only almost 5 months old do you think we will see a molt this year?

Thank you for all of your help.

Jean-Pierre Casper did not look too happy about that picture being taken lol.
    Birds will preen/alopreen each other in their natural flock society, since by default you are his flock, it would be a benefit if you help him in gently removing the waxy sheath from the emerging pin feather on his crest, and head area, where he cant reach, by gently rolling the tip of the pin feather to remove the waxy sheath, if you notice blood in the feather shaft do not attempt to remove until it has fully emerged to a transparent point otherwise it will bleed, those blood feathers are not fully formed. Discussion of blood feathers are another topic to learn about in the event that you experience your bird with a broken blood feather.

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-31-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post

Birds will preen/alopreen each other in their natural flock society, since by default you are his flock, it would be a benefit if you help him in gently removing the waxy sheath from the emerging pin feather on his crest, and head area, where he cant reach, by gently rolling the tip of the pin feather to remove the waxy sheath,
    Also, when the pin sheaths are not brittle/fragile enough to crack away easily, you should leave them be for a day or two and then try again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    if you notice blood in the feather shaft do not attempt to remove until it has fully emerged to a transparent point otherwise it will bleed, those blood feathers are not fully formed. Discussion of blood feathers are another topic to learn about in the event that you experience your bird with a broken blood feather.
    Indeed. Broken blood feathers should always be resolved immediately because they can create a lethal blood loss condition for your bird. To remove a broken blood feather, a bird should be securely restrained while the base of the blood feather (i.e., a point on the feather quill that's very near the skin) is firmly grasped with forceps, pliers, or vice-grips, and abruptly yanked out in the natural direction of the quill. Direct pressure should then be applied to the site where the feather was removed for several minutes. This can save your bird's life in the event of a hemorrhaging blood feather!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-01-2016), Mare (03-31-2016), mdg1109 (03-31-2016), Penny (04-02-2016), The Pinkertons (03-31-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    A useful tip from the lady in the first aid video was that you should have a finger either side if the feather you are plucking to support the skin.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-01-2016), Mare (03-31-2016), Penny (04-02-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-31-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    A useful tip from the lady in the first aid video was that you should have a finger either side if the feather you are plucking to support the skin.
    Yes. Very good advice! Usually your thumb and your index finger.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

The breeder did tell us about blood feathers and gave us a list of what we need in our aviary first aid kit.

She mentioned veterinary wrap, pliers for in case of a blood feather, a medicine dropper and some karo syrup.

I was just wondering about their crest and tail feathers because they seem the largest of the feathers and was wondering if/when they naturally lose them.

Thank you everyone for your help!