User Tag List

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's birdy item from the BBC

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    That poor bird! Please know that I don't hate snakes. What I hate is that it's their nature to eat defenseless prey animals. I used to keep large pythons, and it quite frankly devastated me that they had to be fed small mammals. It's for that very reason that I stopped keeping snakes. Feeding them was immeasurably upsetting for me. I will also say that the snake in that photo is a beautiful Reticulated Python. I had two of those that were much larger than that one. My largest Retic was 20.5 feet long. But I am not sorry snakes are out of my life.
    HELLO! 20 feet! That's longer than some of the rooms in my house. I will say that some of the snakes I have seen pics of have beautiful coloring. I think it would make me nauseous to feed live animals.

2. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (10-31-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    HELLO! 20 feet! That's longer than some of the rooms in my house. I will say that some of the snakes I have seen pics of have beautiful coloring. I think it would make me nauseous to feed live animals.
    Yes. It made me nauseous... AND I felt complicit in the brutal slaughter of innocent beings
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper was giving alarm calls today whilst looking out of the window in my office at the top of the house. He had spotted a cat hunting in the long grass in the field over the road and was presumably trying to warn the other birds.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-31-2017), Lady (11-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (10-31-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Geez, what a frightening photo. I'm not ready to read the article but I will muster up the nerve another day. Having to watch any animal big or small capture and eat another animal for survival is difficult and I will not watch either although we all know it is the way of the world. I think if I lived on a farm and raised animals I would be a vegetarian.
    Now that I'm thinking about it.... if I had to do any of the "dirty work" I couldn't.
    Last edited by Lady; 11-02-2017 at 12:16 AM.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-02-2017), plax (11-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Well the article didn't have much to say about how Nikki the bird is doing except the following morning she wasn't chirping as usual. Hopefully they won't have to deal with such an encounter any time soon. I also hope they decide to make a safe place for their bird by maybe hanging the cage out of harms way.

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-05-2017), plax (11-04-2017)

Parrots

In Australia cockatoos chew billion-dollar broadband cables
    I have edited the headline for grammatical correctness but can't do anything about the usual rubbish exaggeration that they consider attention grabbing.
    (I think they employ children to look after the news website, they certainly do not use proof checkers)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41857761
    Why didn't they armour the cables from new, Cockatoos have been around a lot longer than the internet chomping on anything that is likely to cause trouble?
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 11-05-2017 at 11:04 PM.

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-06-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Wonder why they don't go underground? Our fiber optics here are underground.

13. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-06-2017)

Parrots

So are ours but installation costs are higher so Australia obviously took the cheapskate option

15. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-06-2017)

Parrots

More bird smugglers caught in Indonesia
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42021915

Super Moderator

Parrots

I had no idea that there were so few white cockatoos left...I had the impression there were lots of them left in the wild.
    It's kind of disheartening to think of the amount of smuggling of wild birds still going on.

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-19-2017), Lady (11-19-2017)