User Tag List

Thread: Breeding cockatiels..

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Breeding cockatiels..

..egg laying and then,,setting on eggs, cockatiels . I have a book ordered that should go into detail of the who's and what's of cockatiels. From the research that I've done so far, we may have some babies by April 11-14!! So scary! I may FINALLY be a Grandma .

Any helpful info from peeps here, will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Have you watched the seminar vids on first aid, a couple are about egg-bound birds and the second one mentions the clutch sizes that cockatiels lay.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-27-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thank you, Jean-Pierre! I've watched them but am looking for some "up close and personal" accounts

5. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-27-2016)

Parrots

White Faced Cockatiel - Riley. Heavy Pied Cockatiel - Carolina
    If you plan to handfeed pull them at 2 weeks

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-27-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thank you, Robyn, I do plan on hand feeding. It would be nice to have some "tame" babies. Hand feeding is a whole n'other subject..yikes! I hope my book gets here soon

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I will suggest one of the best books around on this subject. I have a copy if you want to borrow it I will put in the mail. It's called
    Parrots - Hand Feeding and Nursery Management. I got it because I thought my birds might have a family. I am not giving them a nest box so they are no longer mating but may in the future. It's a wonderfully detailed book with many photos. Got it on Amazon. My avian vet recommended this book.

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-28-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    http://www.twinbeaksaviary.com/order.html. Make sure you condition the tiels for being parents. Crushed egg shells like in the link and hard cooked eggs or commercial egg food are good. Up the road you will need another cage for the youngsters so mom and dad will not hurt them.

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-28-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Make sure to leave them at least two weeks.They will receive gut bacteria from the parent feeding that kickstarts their immune system...therefore healthier,stronger babies.When we have little ones hatch,we always mix hand feeding formula into the parents food.It gets them used to it and makes for a better transition to hand feeding.We syringe feed ours..well no cockatiels..but almost everything else.Its good to have your formula and syringes ahead of time instead of panicking when you need them last minute.You will be very entertained as your little ones bob their heads with joy as they eat.
    "Ivo"

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-28-2016), spiritbird (03-28-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Ok! Thank you, Dianne, you keep your book, you may need it someday . I just ordered it from Amazon, thank you for the info!

Thank you, Dave! Good stuff to know! I suppose this book I have ordered will go into the correct supplies I'll need to have.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Also read up on co parenting. It's another option.

17. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-28-2016)