User Tag List

Thread: Salty, smarty boy..

Parrots

Yellow shouldered Amazon, Salty

Salty, smarty boy..

So tonite we started color training, Salty and i. I got a set of brightly colored keys, baby teething toys actually. Salty has been playing with them a few days, so he was not frightened or scared of them. I selected the 3 primary color ones, red, yellow and blue. We did a few other tricks first. Then I placed them on his training area, about a foot apart. I picked each one up , held it up to him and named them a few times. And then I asked for the RED key, and I'll be damned if he didn't go to the red key and pick it up. We worked for 5 min on this and he got the colors right about 30% of the time. Not bad for a first timer! We'll work on this more in the coming days, but I was pretty impressed. He is such a smart little bird. I bet he will start to say the colors eventually, he says some of the other tricks he does (circle, shake hands).
    HI , I am Salty, a yellow shouldered Amazon, hatched June 15, 2015. I will be a pirate someday, just like my daddy!

2. The following 5 users like this post:

lolsavannahh (03-24-2016), Mare (03-24-2016), mdg1109 (03-24-2016), Penny (03-24-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-24-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    He's so smart! I love birds!!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    That sounds like fun for both of you. When he is right what is his reward?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Awesome! You GO, Salty!!

Parrots

Yellow shouldered Amazon, Salty
    We train with pine nuts, 1/2 a nut per trick.
    HI , I am Salty, a yellow shouldered Amazon, hatched June 15, 2015. I will be a pirate someday, just like my daddy!

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Good for Salty! That's quite impressive
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

You might try getting some of the kids shows relating to color and watching with him (Kiki's favorite was Sesame Street). It can help reinforce your one on one lessons.
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Salty is a clever bird, this is how well Casper's colour training went

Failed the test by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following user likes this post:

Penny (03-25-2016)