User Tag List

Thread: Can Other Birds Behavior Influence Your Bird?

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Can Other Birds Behavior Influence Your Bird?

So I know it is kind of a crazy question but here is my predicament.

When we go Charlie we originally started our road to bird companionship looking for a caique, we went to the local bird specialty store and looked at numerous species of birds, I happened upon a LSC2 that I really liked but did not like the price nor the owner of the bird store (to me it was kind of a bird mill, she had too many birds to be able to give them the attention they deserved...just my opinion).

So we came home and my wonderful husband knew I had my heart set on a LSC2 so long story short he did a search and found the breeder we got Charlie from. We met with her, checked out her aviary really liked her and the way she treated and cared for her birds so now Charlie is ours (mine really but I share him with my husband and sons)

So now we are contemplating getting a caique. My worry is that this caique is 8 months old and I guess the overprotectiveness in me of Charlie is worried that he will be mean to Charlie or influence if he has any bad behaviors.

I feel like I am not making sense and may be worried about nothing...but I guess that is why I am turning to my bird friend family to get advice. opinions suggestions..

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    That is definately a possibility considering how young Charlie is as well, he is very impressionable. A good start is that he IS young though, and so is the caique. They may never be able to be let out together, but since they're young, they may be able to bond and be fine together for the most part, still with supervision though!

We have a macaw at the Papayago rescue who screams like a 6 year old girl, as loud as she can, whenever she wants. This behavior has not run off onto any of the other birds, and actually the other birds will shush her if sh'e being too loud for them, but on another hand, if Charlie is good about not screaming, and the caique comes in and screams, he may pick up on it because another bird is doing it and he can too!

It all depends on the bird and what they want to do, you honestly can never tell! Sorry if I'm being vague, but it's all up to how impressionable Charlie is!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-24-2016), The Pinkertons (03-24-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by lolsavannahh View Post
    That is definately a possibility considering how young Charlie is as well, he is very impressionable. A good start is that he IS young though, and so is the caique. They may never be able to be let out together, but since they're young, they may be able to bond and be fine together for the most part, still with supervision though!

We have a macaw at the Papayago rescue who screams like a 6 year old girl, as loud as she can, whenever she wants. This behavior has not run off onto any of the other birds, and actually the other birds will shush her if sh'e being too loud for them, but on another hand, if Charlie is good about not screaming, and the caique comes in and screams, he may pick up on it because another bird is doing it and he can too!

It all depends on the bird and what they want to do, you honestly can never tell! Sorry if I'm being vague, but it's all up to how impressionable Charlie is!
    Thank you Savannah, the screaming is definitely one of my concerns, and yes Charlie is still young so I don't want him to learn any bad habits.

I am kind of in a catch 22 because I want my husband to have a bird, but at the same time I don't want to let a new bird affect Charlie (if that makes any sense).

5. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (03-24-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    I understand completely.. Luckily, a caique is so much smaller ( and quieter ) than a C2, it shouldn't be an issue, but never say never! And it seems so soon to be getting another bird LOL I have had my baby for almost a year now and I still am not ready for a new one.. I was thinking about it for a while, but decided Nash needed all my love instead. Congrats on getting your hubby on board with birds!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-24-2016), The Pinkertons (03-24-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Do you have two separate places to keep them in? They will of course hear each other. Since the smaller bird is a one person bird your husband would be the primary caregiver so a bond developes there. If you continue to be with and caring for Charlie in the same nurturing fashion he may not feel things are too different with the new bird in your home. There is the possibility the new bird has behavior issues or not. Sounds like this bird needs human attention and that he will get from you two. I have interacted with Caique before and they are so smart, playful and clownish. If you make the trip to see him most likely you will bring him home unless this bird has very obvious issues. You may want to ask your vet about mixing these two species of bird.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 03-24-2016 at 02:48 AM.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Penny (03-24-2016), The Pinkertons (03-24-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by lolsavannahh View Post
    I understand completely.. Luckily, a caique is so much smaller ( and quieter ) than a C2, it shouldn't be an issue, but never say never! And it seems so soon to be getting another bird LOL I have had my baby for almost a year now and I still am not ready for a new one.. I was thinking about it for a while, but decided Nash needed all my love instead. Congrats on getting your hubby on board with birds!
    Oh Savannah, my husband is an animal lover! We practically have a zoo at our house, I cannot figure out why he went into law enforcement instead of becoming a veterinarian or zoologist.

Here is our zoo (besides my 10 year son and my 5 year old son lol):

2 dogs
    2 bunnies
    3 parakeets
    1 Russian tortoise
    9 crested geckos
    5 leopard geckos

Ugh....I have been thinking about it and I think our best bet is to wait awhile. I cannot imagine having another bird right now. Charlie is so amazing and I kind of don't want him getting upset or messing up our routine.

So I think the zoo if full now...he has been wanting a salt water fish tank so maybe we can go that route instead...no noise and it will give Charlie something to watch

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Do you have two separate places to keep them in? They will of course hear each other. Since the smaller bird is a one person bird your husband would be the primary caregiver so a bond developes there. If you continue to be with and caring for Charlie in the same nurturing fashion he may not feel things are too different with the new bird in your home. There is the possibility the new bird has behavior issues or not. Sounds like this bird needs human attention and that he will get from you two. I have interacted with Caique before and they are so smart, playful and clownish. If you make the trip to see him most likely you will bring him home unless this bird has very obvious issues. You may want to ask your vet about mixing these two species of bird.
    The more I think about it the more I want to wait. I would love for my husband to have a bird but Charlie truly is all of ours, he loves my husband and my sons. I think another bird right now would be taking on too much.

As you can tell from my reply to Savannah, we have a zoo.....

13. The following 2 users like this post: